2019 CX5 Touring w/ Package

Gracias, Seor!

This will be our first Mazda. We tested the base Touring trim without the Touring Equip. package, and liked the car better than a Subaru Forester or Crosstrek, or a Toyota RAV. We were going to live with stretching to close the liftgate (or tying a rope around the handle!) when I started comparing dealer inventories on the web. I'm not much interested in the other stuff in the package (and would frankly prefer to not have the sunroof), but I'm willing to pay for them to get the one we want.

Gracias, Seor!

This will be our first Mazda. We tested the base Touring trim without the Touring Equip. package, and liked the car better than a Subaru Forester or Crosstrek, or a Toyota RAV. We were going to live with stretching to close the liftgate (or tying a rope around the handle!) when I started comparing dealer inventories on the web. I'm not much interested in the other stuff in the package (and would frankly prefer to not have the sunroof), but I'm willing to pay for them to get the one we want.

the liftgate can be set to a different height. I think you position the height you want it and press and hols the liftgate button.

Gracias, Seor!

You don't pull on the handle.

the liftgate can be set to a different height. I think you position the height you want it and press and hols the liftgate button.
I'm big on reading the manual, so we'll figure it out. We're getting out of an '04 Hyundai Elantra and an '02 Ford Ranger, so all the technological advancements are bit overwhelming. As we say in computing circles, "RTDM!" ("Read the damn manual!)
You don't pull on the handle.
We had to on the one we tested; the liftgate on it wasn't powered. The salesman watching us; I hope he would have told us if there was an alternative to Darling Bride standing on her toes to get a couple of fingers on the handle.

I'm big on reading the manual, so we'll figure it out. We're getting out of an '04 Hyundai Elantra and an '02 Ford Ranger, so all the technological advancements are bit overwhelming. As we say in computing circles, "RTDM!" ("Read the damn manual!)

We had to on the one we tested; the liftgate on it wasn't powered. The salesman watching us; I hope he would have told us if there was an alternative to Darling Bride standing on her toes to get a couple of fingers on the handle.

Ah, I thought you meant the power one.

I'm not much interested in the other stuff in the package (and would frankly prefer to not have the sunroof), but I'm willing to pay for them to get the one we want.

That's the point of the packages, and it works!

Have to warn you if you plan to get 2019 CX-5 Touring 2.5L with cylinder deactivation:

Dangerous cylinder deactivation trouble on 2018 CX-5 and 6 models
Sorry, but I don't understand what I'm reading. I'm not familiar with many of the terms used in the discussion.
If you consider to buy 2019 CX-5 Sport, Touring, or GT which comes with SkyActiv 2.5L engine, that engine has a feature called cylinder deactivation. This feature saves very little on gas mileage, but carries bad reputation on reliability from history. There's a safety recall going on right now for CX-5 with this feature because the car may fall into "limp mode" due to fallen "rocker arms" without prior warning. If you plan to keep your CX-5 long-term, IMO you should avoid purchase for these CX-5 models.

But for 2019 CX-5 GT Reserve or Signature model, it comes with a 2.5T turbo, which doesn't have cylinder deactivation.

Last edited:
That's the point of the packages, and it works!
Yep, basic marketing! As you may have assumed from the '02 and '04, we drive cars until they die. I assume I'm going to drive a car for over a decade. With that mindset, I'm willing (and finally able) to pay to get what I want for the long haul.

Yep, basic marketing! As you may have assumed from the '02 and '04, we drive cars until they die. I assume I'm going to drive a car for over a decade. With that mindset, I'm willing (and finally able) to pay to get what I want for the long haul.

In that case, if there's an extra $7500 in your budget [I know], you might consider a GT-R. You'll get an engine that is proven reliable AND runs circles around the Touring engine, and LOTS of extra features that you might not want [but appreciate after living with them]. Might be a better long term investment. And far more enjoyable if you like more "spirited" driving.

Man after my own heart.

I always bought used and paid cash.
Then I got an '89 S-10 pickup new and drove it until 2005.
Then I bought a 2005 GMC Canyon (that I still have), and got my GT Reserve last March.
It will be driven as long as the last 2 were.

Back