2017~2024 Scratched up rotor

:
2019 CX5 Touring/Preferred Pkg
Hi
Today I noticed the right passenger rear side rotor was scratched up. If I rub my finger nail, it seems to catch on the scratch. Seems like a very deep groove. Any ideas why it mightve happened? How?
Will it affect braking performance?
Attached photos here:

Thanks

I'm far from a brake expert, but to me it appears as though a small rock or other hard debris became lodged between the rotor and outer brake pad.
I can't see the groove having a serious effect on braking performance, but I'd still remove that brake pad to dislodge the object.

That could be from the wear indicator bar on the brake pad retainer. Miles on rotor?

I'm far from a brake expert, but to me it appears as though a small rock or other hard debris became lodged between the rotor and outer brake pad.
I can't see the groove having a serious effect on braking performance, but I'd still remove that brake pad to dislodge the object.

That was my first thought, but it would have to be something harder than the rotor. A rock probably wouldn't last long in that situation. Metal perhaps.

Faulty pad? The only way to find out is to inspect it.

But if your brakes feel ok, I don't think it's a big problem.

Good observation, OP.

Have only 1800 miles on the odometer. Dont think its wear just yet.

The car is a lease, is it important to take it off or can I leave it as is?
At only 1,800 miles, you can always take your CX-5 to your Mazda dealer and have them check it out.

I would not remove brakes there is an electric controlled motor that needs disable according to the dealers. You can loose a finger and ruin it, if your not familiar with the procedure. My dealer said a brake repair shop messed up a customers car and it cost him $1500 to get it fixed from their mistake.

My bet is on a defective brake pad. As others have said, the only way to see what's what is to remove the pad for inspection.

Back