Anyone concerned about the upcoming recall on the 2018 CX5??

Status
Not open for further replies.
Is there any symptoms besides a CEL or codes that would let us know if rocker arms have fell? What exactly happens when the rocker arms fall off?

Is there any symptoms besides a CEL or codes that would let us know if rocker arms have fell? What exactly happens when the rocker arms fall off?

Apparently nothing, until you double down shift and punch it to get around an 18 wheeler on a windy 2-lane highway, then you lose almost all power and go into limp mode while straddling the semi with oncoming headlights rounding the corner.

For Toyota's RAV4 recall you mentioned although the fix is sloppy but at least it won't affect the safety after the fix. It's similar to the fuel filler pipe recall on gen-1 CX-5 which removes a bolt and calls it a day.

But the recall fix on CX-5's falling rocker arm? I believe one of the victims on this issue said the best:

Agree to disagree. I think a handful of posters are sensationalizing this rocker arm issue. We all know you hate CD and would love Mazda to eat crow over its decision to add it to the 2018*s. You*re on record. Move on. (wiggle)

Last edited:
Anyone concerned about the upcoming recall on the 2018 / 2019 CX5??

Agree to disagree. I think a handful of posters are sensationalizing this rocker arm issue. We all know you hate CD and would love Mazda to eat crow over its decision to add it to the 2018*s. You*re on record. Move on. (wiggle)
No, this has nothing to do with "I told you so" on cylinder deactivation. But it's all about safety:

Apparently nothing, until you double down shift and punch it to get around an 18 wheeler on a windy 2-lane highway, then you lose almost all power and go into limp mode while straddling the semi with oncoming headlights rounding the corner.

Must have been before my time. I've never seen posts on failing liftgate in 16.

I cancelled my plan getting a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and got a Toyota Yaris iA only because I found Mazda suddenly added cylinder deactivation to its 2018 lineups. The history of CD has proven it's a bad idea for long-term reliability, and I usually keep my vehicle forever. And I no longer recommend CX-5 to friends and family because of this cylinder deactivation feature.

Now we found the CD from Mazda is having the design issue. The rocker arm will fall off without any warning if the conditions are suitable. There's no fail-safe mechanism designed into the CD system. If Mazda relies only on PCM software to control changing oil pressure related to too many factors such as oil viscosity, oil level, and temperature, it's too difficult to define pre-set oil pressure ranges to perform certain functions. The current PCM code which causes rocker arm falling off is a perfect example that the software can't cover every aspect of conditions, and the result is the oil pressure is getting too low and the rocker arm is fallen off its position.

There should be a physical hardware to prevent the rocker arm falling, no matter how low the oil pressure is.

One example is the dragging issue on Electrical Parking Brake for 2016 CX-5. Several TSB's had issued. The initial TSB was to update the EPB control module firmware. The second EPB TSB was another EPB control module firmware update. Finally the latest TSB is Mazda has to improve the rear brake calipers' design and disregard the previous firmware updates.

Another example is the fuel filler pipe recall on 2016 CX-5. Mazda had to come up a fix quick due to the stop-sale pressure from NHTSA. The recall removes a bolt from a bracket holding the filler pipe. But this's only a patch job only to meet NHTSA's requirement. And Mazda eventually had come up a new design on pipe holder bracket to meet NHTSA safety standard.

So my opinion is the PCM software update is only a temperature fix for NHTSA, and Mazda should eventually re-design the cylinder deactivation so that the rocker arm won't be falling under low oil pressure conditions.

To be fair, if I remember correctly, your concerns about cylinder deactivation never even considered this problem, it was all about what other manufacturers had suffered with fouling of the deactivating cylinders. This is down to Mazda employing a different design and a glitch that could only really become evident after extended trial. Your initial concerns have yet to be realised and may never do so.

When you read this forum you sometimes you get the impression that Mazdas are granading all over the country with widespread failures and safety issues. That by merely driving a CX 5 you risk life and limb. That impression is nonsense. Mine has 125,000 miles with the only issue other than maintenance being a bad shifter gate switch which set me back about forty dollars. Last fill up was at 28.7 mpg which included almost twenty miles on jeep trails in the Adirondack mountains. My CX 5 with snow tires has been unstoppable in the deep snow of a central NY winter. I recommend the CX 5 and others Mazdas all the time. My daughter just got a CX 3, my girlfriend and her daughter both own a CX 5, I'm on my fourth Mazda. None of us have had any problems, no rust, no breakdowns, no near death experiences. Are Mazdas perfect ... no ... better than most ... yes.

I really don't have too much of a concern, I don't hesitate to drive my car and don't feel like getting a different car. Out of 50 or 100 people on this board with a model with CD there have been two people that went into limp mode. However had I seen this issue before buying my car I would not have bought a Mazda, I probably would have kept my old car a couple more years. It will take a year or two to see if Mazda's program update fixes the issue.

I really don't have too much of a concern, I don't hesitate to drive my car and don't feel like getting a different car. Out of 50 or 100 people on this board with a model with CD there have been two people that went into limp mode. However had I seen this issue before buying my car I would not have bought a Mazda, I probably would have kept my old car a couple more years. It will take a year or two to see if Mazda's program update fixes the issue.

I would have used it as an excuse to upgrade to the Turbo (drive)

I do agree that this is being sensationalized a bit. I ran my mother-in-laws 2018 hard on the highway to see if it would go into limp mode after following GoHawk's thread. It ran completely fine.. I did this a couple of months ago and I let her know it might be recalled. She was fine with it. I'm fine with it. I'll let her know she should get the PCM updated soon.

Every manufacturer has issues. It sucks Mazda isn't impervious to them, but this is the only serious recall I'm aware of with the CX-5 since inception in 2013.

To be fair, if I remember correctly, your concerns about cylinder deactivation never even considered this problem, it was all about what other manufacturers had suffered with fouling of the deactivating cylinders. This is down to Mazda employing a different design and a glitch that could only really become evident after extended trial. Your initial concerns have yet to be realised and may never do so.

Good point. It's a tired trope by now Yrwei. The recall is out there. Let's see where it goes instead of your doom and gloom "it's s***" reaction to Mazda taking some form of action.

Just get Top Tier gasoline in 87 octane. Detergent problem solved.

I like living on the wild side..on the edge it you know what I mean. I use 89 top tier gas!!!

With regards to the thread title...no concern since we don't have CD models. Not sure I would want CD. I wonder if Orangevirus could turn that feature off.

Yes I'm concerned, includes the 2018-2019 models.
Do not like the possible stalling of my car on the freeway and having to take evasive measure to stay safe in that event.
Have had some software glitches in the past with warning lights coming on and front cam failure.

I cancelled my plan getting a 2018 Mazda CX-5 and got a Toyota Yaris iA only because I found Mazda suddenly added cylinder deactivation to its 2018 lineups. The history of CD has proven it's a bad idea for long-term reliability, and I usually keep my vehicle forever. And I no longer recommend CX-5 to friends and family because of this cylinder deactivation feature.

I got a 2017 even though 2018s were out because I saw the writing on the wall for the CD on 2018's. I knew back then that the CD was going to be problems and I was right. The tech was too new, overly complicated, and all for a 1/2 mpg gain? One can air up their tires and get better mpg gains.

Just like the CX5 diesel, Mazda dropped the ball on the CD. To make something so complicated and for such a tiny gain that most people would never notice, astounds me. Now the repairs on the CD will be costly and a PIA for owners who experience problems with it.

Likely a good move. When we got our 2018 did not know that CD was new that year (found out after the purchase) but we do get 36 MPG on long trips to Myrtle Beach. I assume 36 is from the CD.

Likely a good move. When we got our 2018 did not know that CD was new that year (found out after the purchase) but we do get 36 MPG on long trips to Myrtle Beach. I assume 36 is from the CD.

That IS impressive.

AWD or FWD?

I agree the CD appears to be a no-gain feature, but I think we*re all forgetting what makes Mazda so attractive to car enthusiasts: Their engineers have guts.

Hell, most of their fame comes from being the company that kept trying to make rotaries work. They*re simply executing the same philosophy with CD, diesel, and Skyactiv-X. They insist on trying to strive where others failed. When you*re a company that takes those kinds of risks, you consider it a success to bring novel tech to the market even when the results weren*t quite as expected. Anyone who questions Mazda*s risk-taking should look elsewhere, because there are plenty of safe brands out there who are more excited about sales than innovation.

Back on topic....

The only one who should be concerned about this recall is Mazda itself.

Everyone else affected should just chill and wait for the recall. Only Mazda can deal with the situation, so don't worry about something you have no control over.

Just don't try any borderline safe passes that require full power.

Or [what I would do] hammer the crap out of the engine a time or two to make sure it won't go into limp mode.

Even without this problem, it behooves every driver to know what the capabilities of their vehicle are.

This story is far from over.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Latest posts

Back