2018 CX-9 Recall for harness concern

Dropped my car off on a Saturday morning. Didn't pick it up until the following Wednesday. Really sucked going from the CX-9 Signature to a Kia Sportage rental. I wish that I had detailed my car before I brought it in so that i might more easily notice any issues but nothing stood out to me. I was a little concerned with them jacking up the interior panels because i know some people are much better at it than others.

For those of you that had the recall fixed, how was the outcome? Any issues afterwards? How long did it take? From what I understand they have to remove part of the dash or center console to get access to the harness and also in the rear? Did they mess up your interior/dash/panels? Any rattling after? How did they document the work done for you?

I'm in California and my CX-9's registration expires soon and to my surprise, you're not allowed to pay for your renewal until you get the recall fixed and provide paperwork to the DMV as proof?! I haven't experienced any issues related to the recall plus the fear of the dealer making things worse and jacking up my interior is why I've been putting off taking it in, but now apparently I have no choice.

I plan on calling my local dealership to see how many of these recall fixes they've done. I'm hoping since it's been over a year that they have the process down and can do it without making things worse. Reading past comments in this thread does not give me confidence though.

Please let me know how your experiences with the recall have been up to now! Thanks!

Okay, this getting interesting now, and not in a good way. I called my local dealer about the recall and I asked them if they need to remove the dash/center console to perform the fix and the service department rep said no, that this one is not done through the interior. He said they get access to the 'suspension' harness through the exterior/fender panels. When I heard him say suspension harness, I questioned whether we were talking about the same recall so I gave him my VIN so he could look it up and he confirmed that it is for the suspension harness and they definitely don't get access to fix it through the interior dash/console which is completely different than what people talked about in this thread.

Could it be that originally the fix from Mazda service headquarters was through the dash/console but later changed it to what this dealer is now describing through the exterior? What's interesting is I see no mention of a "suspension" harness in the recall details at all. This is definitely not instilling confidence in me that Mazda and their dealerships know what they're doing....

Okay, this getting interesting now, and not in a good way. I called my local dealer about the recall and I asked them if they need to remove the dash/center console to perform the fix and the service department rep said no, that this one is not done through the interior. He said they get access to the 'suspension' harness through the exterior/fender panels. When I heard him say suspension harness, I questioned whether we were talking about the same recall so I gave him my VIN so he could look it up and he confirmed that it is for the suspension harness and they definitely don't get access to fix it through the interior dash/console which is completely different than what people talked about in this thread.

Could it be that originally the fix from Mazda service headquarters was through the dash/console but later changed it to what this dealer is now describing through the exterior? What's interesting is I see no mention of a "suspension" harness in the recall details at all. This is definitely not instilling confidence in me that Mazda and their dealerships know what they're doing....

After reading this thread, it doesn't sound like anyone had any issues after the recall was performed. Dealerships are not all the same - some are decent, others are terrible. You can give them the opportunity to explain the situation to you more clearly by mentioning that you've spoken with other CX-9 owners who have had the recall performed, and their fixes involved removal of the center console. You can also mention that you've seen the recall instructions and they don't mention anything about a "suspension" harness.

On the NHTSA website, you can look up documents associated with the recall. According to Recall Quarterly Report #5, as of Oct 28 this year, 6628 of 7854 of the recall vehicles have been remedied. I would think that any issues/hiccups that might come up during the recall work have been identified and reported to Mazda in those 6628 repairs already performed. That would mean that if there was a problem, the dealership could contact Mazda for a solution.

Otherwise, you can try calling a different local dealer to ask them about this recall in order to confirm what would need to be done.

After reading this thread, it doesn't sound like anyone had any issues after the recall was performed. Dealerships are not all the same - some are decent, others are terrible. You can give them the opportunity to explain the situation to you more clearly by mentioning that you've spoken with other CX-9 owners who have had the recall performed, and their fixes involved removal of the center console. You can also mention that you've seen the recall instructions and they don't mention anything about a "suspension" harness.

On the NHTSA website, you can look up documents associated with the recall. According to Recall Quarterly Report #5, as of Oct 28 this year, 6628 of 7854 of the recall vehicles have been remedied. I would think that any issues/hiccups that might come up during the recall work have been identified and reported to Mazda in those 6628 repairs already performed. That would mean that if there was a problem, the dealership could contact Mazda for a solution.

Otherwise, you can try calling a different local dealer to ask them about this recall in order to confirm what would need to be done.
Thanks for the link to the current recall status. Looks like they've fixed a lot of them up to now, so you're probably right that they've probably got the process ironed out by now. I called another dealership that's further away from me and they said they've done these before and they get access to the wiring harness from underneath the steering wheel console and he mentioned something about might needing to remove the steering wheel shaft or something like that.

I think I'll give a few others a ring to see how they describe the fix.

Back