2018 CX-9 Recall for harness concern

I saw this come up in my Google news feed yesterday. Figures, mine looks to be built in that 2 month window (first units of the 2018 model year). I've never experienced any electrical issues these first 15,000 miles. My concern is that they'll have to remove the dash or center console to fix and sometimes the car isn't the same. Can produce rattles and squeaks.

i still have not received any emails or snail mail about the recall, but happened to notice it when i was mazda website while i was scheduling an appt at my dealer. Though when i put my Vin # in the the recall check list, i did notice the far right column that says status it says "Incomplete; Remedy not yet available"

Last edited:
Yep, happened to me twice during those hot summer days where my passenger airbag light came on with no passenger.

Now just wait for a recall letter........

Took mine in yesterday to have the recall fixed. Evidently, I was the guinea pig as I was the first one my local dealership had done.

Late in the day, I received a call that there was a problem. The mechanic made the repair, but now the car won't start. Basically, the "fix" ended up creating the very problem that was a possibility in the first place and created the recall.

To the dealerships credit, they immediately set me up with a 19 CX-9 as a loner and picked me up from work. When I got back to the dealership to sign the loaner paperwork, I asked to see my car. When we got back in the shop, the car was running! While there were still interior panels disassembled everywhere, at least the car was running now!

I got to talk directly to the mechanic working on my car and he explained that the repair instructions they received from Mazda USA were incorrect, but after a while on the phone with Mazda USA technical support they got it straightened out. The mechanic seemed happy with the fix but still had a couple of hours left of work to do reassembling everything. While it appeared the majority of work was below the center console below the dash, he was also doing something in the rear cargo area. I'll have to ask about that when I get it back today.

While this sounds all good at this point, I still have a concern I'll address when I pick it up today. While I was talking to the mechanic yesterday, the owner of the dealership came by to talk to me as well. Of course he apologized for the issues, but then said something that struck me as odd. He said that only 44 cars were affected by this recall in all of the USA. 44 cars. Since they all come down the same production line, that seems very odd to me that only 44 cars from the 2018 model year were affected.

While I initially passed on the extended warranty when I purchased the car last December, I think I'll see what he can do for me on one now. If only 44 cars were affected, it makes me wonder if I ended up buying one of the 44 lemons that Mazda shipped to the U.S. I'm probably overthinking it, but if he would sell me the extended warranty at his cost it would go a long way in giving me piece of mind.

Yep, happened to me twice during those hot summer days where my passenger airbag light came on with no passenger.

Now just wait for a recall letter........

If you have the MyMazda app and are loggin in with your VIN, it will tell you if your car is on the recall list.

If you have the MyMazda app and are loggin in with your VIN, it will tell you if your car is on the recall list.

Yes , unfortunately I am on the recall list. But 44 cars ? WOW !

I'm going to sit on it , hopefully my dealership will have some of them repaired before I eventually go in for mine.

Picked it up at lunch and it's all fixed up. The only answer I got regarding working in the cargo area was having to trace some of the wiring. What ever that means.

Talked to the dealer about buying the extended warranty. While they offered me a "discount", it would still be more expensive than Werner Mazda who sells them right on their website.

Picked it up at lunch and it's all fixed up. The only answer I got regarding working in the cargo area was having to trace some of the wiring. What ever that means.

Talked to the dealer about buying the extended warranty. While they offered me a "discount", it would still be more expensive than Werner Mazda who sells them right on their website.

Touch wood, but please let us know if you start to hear any rattling /squeaking noises since they had to take apart the dashes.

For your info, all recalls and their associated documents are available on the NHTSA website.

As part of the recall work there are connectors in the trunk that needs to be modified as well.(c-47 and c-48 on page 3 of the repair instructions https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V403-5628.pdf )

According to the recall notice, there are 7,854 veh affected. But of those, 44 were still unsold at the dealers. The dealers are responsible to conduct the repair on those 44 veh prior to selling them. So the dealer confused the numbers when he quoted you 44 vehicles only.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/MAZDA/CX-9/SUV/AWD#recalls

For your info, all recalls and their associated documents are available on the NHTSA website.

As part of the recall work there are connectors in the trunk that needs to be modified as well.(c-47 and c-48 on page 3 of the repair instructions https://static.nhtsa.gov/odi/rcl/2019/RCRIT-19V403-5628.pdf )

According to the recall notice, there are 7,854 veh affected. But of those, 44 were still unsold at the dealers. The dealers are responsible to conduct the repair on those 44 veh prior to selling them. So the dealer confused the numbers when he quoted you 44 vehicles only.

https://www.nhtsa.gov/vehicle/2018/MAZDA/CX-9/SUV/AWD#recalls

Good info ! and LOL at the stealership's illiteracy.

It sounds like the supplier of the wiring harness made errors...or errors in the specs from Mazda...for a limited number of harnesses.

For those who have had this repair done, how long did it take and were you offered a loaner? Called my dealer again and they said that the recall is still incomplete but offered to take my car in after Mentioned that people have already reported that their recall repair has been performed.

Picked it up at lunch and it's all fixed up. The only answer I got regarding working in the cargo area was having to trace some of the wiring. What ever that means. .

Likely measuring resistance values on the vehicle CANbus to validate the fix or verify recurrent issues elsewhere. If so, it's a pretty standard electrical troubleshooting exercise. I would suggest making sure the work was documented in the service notes for posterity and also protect yourself

Took my car in early last Wednesday for this recall. They had the car all day, then contacted me to say "we have a couple of lights coming on" that they had to figure out. At 10:30 am on Thursday they had it all sorted out and ready for pickup. I did get a loaner, a nice Mazda 3 AWD.

Took my car in early last Wednesday for this recall. They had the car all day, then contacted me to say "we have a couple of lights coming on" that they had to figure out. At 10:30 am on Thursday they had it all sorted out and ready for pickup. I did get a loaner, a nice Mazda 3 AWD.

You in NorCal ? Which dealership did you take it to if you don't mind sharing.

Thanks

Back