AC Compressor Noise AC Now Not Working. Safe to Drive with Fuses Pulled?

Guess I can't upload a short video on here. Here's a picture. You can tell how tore up it is.
With car off I put a screwdriver on Clutch to see if it turned freely. It did not.
It's rubs against the pulley. I can turn it but not easily free flowing.
I still am not sure where wire is.
Also when I first turned car on I heard a belt high pitched squealing sound.
After several starts after the high pitched squealing went away.

P.S. Guess you learned a lot since then.

clutch tore up.png

I don't really know ??

This is the diagram for my P5.

I don't know much about HVAC but if it were my car I'd unplug connectof #3.
And the connector underneath it.

Is your compressor spinning ??

The clutch could be so damaged that it won't dissengage.

My car is a 2L yours may be very different.

It might be smart to buy a shorter belt and have it installed.
Bypass it completely.

Sorry to keep going back & forth on this.If I knew how to measure for a smaller belt and replace it, I would have already done that.
Paying $200. to $300. for putting a belt on seems like a rip off.
It looks like the Compressor Pulley is spinning but clutch is not and it shouldn't be.
Remember I took the fuses out, so AC won't come on. So clutch is not going to spin, correct?
I looked in my Manual to see if there was an AC Relay and there is not. Just 2 fuses for the AC and I removed both.
My question is where does the 3 in your diagram go to? Somewhere easily accessible when I open the hood? Like the picture I showed you.Where does that wire # 3 connect to?

So the wire goes from the compressor to the clutch? I thought it went from clutch to another place up in the car. ;-) That's why I asked you if that was the wire in that photo.

All I know is that the clutch is electrically operated.
If the wire to the clutch is disconnected it will not engage.

Ok. So even with the fuses out and wire unplugged from compressor, it still locked up and burned my belt to smithereens. So my question now is does anyone know if there is enough clearance to put a shorter belt on and just bypass the compressor without having to remove the compressor?
Mazda Protege' 2000 DX 1.6 Ltre

Back