AC Compressor Noise AC Now Not Working. Safe to Drive with Fuses Pulled?

Dino1956

OK so I had a noise every time I engaged the AC switch on in my car. A rattle. It would last 5 or 6 seconds and was intermittent. I drove the car like that for 6 months.
Now the AC does not come on and when I look inside car the AC Clutch was slipping & not engaging but now it does not turn spin at all.
The car is old. 2000 Mazda Protege' DX 1.6. The repair shop wants $1400. to replace compressor. They also just don't replace just the clutch even if the AC compressor itself is still working.
They also told me the car was not safe to drive because metal filings from compressor could fly out and snap the belt that is shared with other components such as power steering.
I pulled both AC fuses as to not turn AC on accidentaly. Question: How dangerous is it to drive without the possibility of the AC coming on, since I pulled both AC fuses?
And please explain. Thanks in advance. I'm not a car guy or 6 months ago I probably could have just repaired the clutch myself as I have seen people do on YouTube.;-)

But what happens if I just leave it the way it is? Do I need to do that?
Am I in danger driving the way it is?

It's already failed. Even though the AC cannot come on? I pulled the Fuses.
So No possibility of AC compressor coming on or clutch becoming engaged.
A shop wants between $200 & $300. to Bypass.

I'm almost positive you can just unplug (or cut) the wire powering the AC clutch and then it will never be able to engage.

When it's not engaged it just idles on a bearing.

The pulled fuses should do the trick but cutting the wire makes sure.

If you want to feel completely safe, go buy the belt you need (1.6 L without AC) and take it to another shop and ask them how much it will cost to install it.
It shows you know what you're talking about so you're less likely to get snaked.

Or buy the Haynes manual and install it yourself.
It's fricken easy.

I bought a belt for my 97 a month ago.. $ 18.00.. approx 35 minutes to install..you need small hands.. 2 to 3 hundred is out to lunch..

I bought a belt for my 97 a month ago.. $ 18.00.. approx 35 minutes to install..you need small hands.. 2 to 3 hundred is out to lunch..

Do you happen know if the smaller belt will clear the compressor pulley ??

It's the only problem I can see.

(My car is the 2 L. I don't know squat about the 1.6)

Wow. Some great info here. That's why I love this Forum. Have not been on in years and in hours I get accurate information. I think I will just cut the wire for now.
Some repair shops make their living by putting fear into people who just don't know better.
Also,I have no idea if a smaller belt will clear the compressor pulley. But I'm pretty sure it would because the Tech did look at it and said it could be done.
Not that I should take his word for it. Thanks guys, I really do appreciate it. As there are a couple other things wrong with the car, I probably won't be replacing the compressor.
I will probably buy a Mazda 3 when I get tired of heat stroke, having no AC in the Panhandle of Florida in early Summer can be pretty rough as you can imagine.

Also,I have no idea if a smaller belt will clear the compressor pulley. But I'm pretty sure it would because the Tech did look at it and said it could be done.

Take a ruler or staight edge and try to line it up across the two pulleys to check for interference.

You could just remove the compressor or the pulley on it.

The engine was probably designed to provide clearance.

Last edited:
Yea if cutting the wire and keeping the 2- AC Fuses Out, does the trick, I'm not going to get involved in all that.
I was just really concerned for my safety and the belt snapping off while driving.

Originally though, months ago when I heard the rattling sound, I thought it could be repaired by replacing just the Clutch assembly.
But then I was told if the rattling sound comes on only when you put the AC on, it indicates a bad compressor.
And if the rattling sound comes on when the AC is off, it's a bad clutch.
My rattling sound only happened when I put the AC on.

Either way, no shop in my neck of the woods is willing to just replace the Clutch/Pulley/Coil assembly. They want to replace the entire compressor.
You can't see in the photo but the 3 big nodules that stick out from the clutch plate cover are pretty much chewed up.
I can get a better photo so you can see.

IMG_3578.jpeg

Last edited:
Yea if cutting the wire and keeping the 2 AC Fuses Out, does the trick, I'm not going to get involved in all that.
I was just literally concerned for my safety and the belt snapping off while driving.

Even if your belt shreads, you're not gonna die.
It happens all the time.

You might lose power steering (which can be shocking but you can still steer) and maybe your alternator (you'll just run off the battery... I don't what all's connected to that belt) but you may end up stranded somewhere.

I'm 98% sure you should be fine unless your clutch is still grabbing even with it disconnected.

Take a look and a listen.
If you hear and see no movement you're sure to be fine.

Last edited:
Either way, no shop in my neck of the woods is willing to just replace the Clutch/Pulley/Coil assembly. They want to replace the entire compressor.

I remember one guy that bought a new AC compressor on line, took the clutch assemby off (which is possible,.. just a couple of tricky things) and swapped clutches.
Then he sent the new compressor with the broken clutch back for a full refund.

Don't do that though !
It's bad karma !!

Besides safety, my other concern is getting stuck 30 miles away from home. It's a 30 mile commute to my job. Don't want to have to get towed.
I would never do what that guy did. Bad Karma is right. Cause & Effect. That's a bad cause and you will certainly get a bad effect from doing stuff like that.
Thanks for all your help.

Besides safety, my other concern is getting stuck 30 miles away from home. It's a 30 mile commute to my job. Don't want to have to get towed.

Thanks for all your help.

That's a worst case scenario.
I'm sure you'll be fine.

You're welcome.
I like trying to help.

PS... get AAA

With 5057 Posts I'm sure you help a lot of people. Thanks again. I'll try to take a picture of the 3 tore up nubs on the Clutch cover plate just so you can see how bad it is.

Back