2007~2015 2013 front ac blower turns slowly after clearing ac drain line

Bsismour

Hello forum -

This morning I had a mechanic vacuum out the clogged ac drain line. That took care of the sloshing sounds and water dripping on the front passenger side floor. I drove home about 4 miles and the ac worked fine. About an hour later, only the rear ac blower was working when the car was turned on. I removed the glove box cover and the glove box fuse box cover. I turned on the engine and the ac. The front blower looked like it wanted to turn, but wouldn't completely engage. After about 30 seconds, the fan did start turning but not fast enough to move any air.
Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

Hello forum -

This morning I had a mechanic vacuum out the clogged ac drain line. That took care of the sloshing sounds and water dripping on the front passenger side floor. I drove home about 4 miles and the ac worked fine. About an hour later, only the rear ac blower was working when the car was turned on. I removed the glove box cover and the glove box fuse box cover. I turned on the engine and the ac. The front blower looked like it wanted to turn, but wouldn't completely engage. After about 30 seconds, the fan did start turning but not fast enough to move any air.
Any ideas what is going on here?

Thanks for any suggestions.

Bill

The same thing happened to me - shortly after clearing the drain my blower stopped working. I did the same thing you did, opened the glove box and watched the blower wheel, which never really got going fast enough to move any air.

What likely happened is that when the drain clogged, the water backed up into the vents and eventually ran down into the blower. When I saw the blower not spinning, I removed the blower motor and when I turned it upside down, a lot of water ran out. I couldn't figure out a way to dry the motor out, so I ended up replacing it. Be warned that the OEM Mazda part is absurdly expensive (>$400), but there are aftermarket parts available that are far cheaper. I used the "Four Seasons" one from Rock Auto:

https://www.rockauto.com/en/catalog...849,heat+&+air+conditioning,blower+motor,6916

It is louder than the OEM motor when running full blast, but it is fine once it slows down.

Back