The ONE thing I hate about my 2019 Signature is....

I keep my keys on a carabiner, its always in my right back pocket. Whenever I sit and the keyfob happens to be in my pocket instead of dangling outside, I almost always accidentally press the liftgate button.

I live in fear of that happening. My garage is small and I have to open the roll up door before opening the rear hatch. If it opens by itself it will likely gouge the paint when it contacts the garage door and parts of the door mechanism. Keeping my fingers crossed.

Does it happen equally with BOTH fobs?

Haven't tried that yet - that's my next attempt. Bar that, I might just get a fully-enclosed casing if I have to so that I *can't* hit the button at all mistakenly.

I live in fear of that happening. My garage is small and I have to open the roll up door before opening the rear hatch. If it opens by itself it will likely gouge the paint when it contacts the garage door and parts of the door mechanism. Keeping my fingers crossed.

I park pretty close to my garage door (I park outside, house full of people) and that's my fear.. having the door open and drag itself along the garage door.

That, and I'm CONSTANTLY having to turn around and check, and I always have to check before bed or I sit there and stew about it lol.

The liftgate button on the keyfob.

I can't count the # of times someone has come up to me in a store and said "Sir, is that your Red Mazda? If so, the lift-gate is open!".

COUNTLESS Times.

I've tried getting rid of the # of keys I have attached to the FOB (i'm down to 1, the key to my house!)..

I've tried buying silicone covers for the keyfob.

NOTHING.

I wish I could disable the liftgate from opening via the KeyFob. I never used the trunk release in my Mazda6, I always pressed the button on the underside of the trunk lid to open it, as I do with the CX-5.

Neighbor just came over, after me being home for 2 hours "You know your liftgate is open, right?". Even after I double-checked before closing the garage door..

PLEASE tell me there's a way to disable it somehow!? Even at the dealer level!?

What else is in your pocket or wherever you keep keys. Accidentally pressed fob buttons have literally never happened to me in 6 1/2 years of owning my 2014. And having a loaner 2019 GT for a couple days last week, again, never hit any buttons accidentally on that one either.

EDIT: Sorry just saw you answer that on previous page, guess I missed it.

Are the buttons unusually loose or something? Is it only the lift-gate button?

Last edited:
What else is in your pocket or wherever you keep keys. Accidentally pressed fob buttons have literally never happened to me in 6 1/2 years of owning my 2014. And having a loaner 2019 GT for a couple days last week, again, never hit any buttons accidentally on that one either.

EDIT: Sorry just saw you answer that on previous page, guess I missed it.

Are the buttons unusually loose or something? Is it only the lift-gate button?

Yep, its just the lift-gate button.

Yeah, as I had mentioned (and you caught) the only thing I have in there with it is 2 keys on the complete opposite end of the FOB. And, I have to *really* push them and maneouever them to hit the button.

I never put anything in the same pocket as my keyfob. Phone goes in the other pocket lol.

Never happened in 10 years with my Mazda 6. Not a single once did the trunk open 'by itself'. So, it's either the FOB itself, or somehow that button might be a bit more sensitive - the key doesn't seem to wiggle or move any more than the rest, so I'm perplexed.

Yep, its just the lift-gate button.

Yeah, as I had mentioned (and you caught) the only thing I have in there with it is 2 keys on the complete opposite end of the FOB. And, I have to *really* push them and maneouever them to hit the button.

I never put anything in the same pocket as my keyfob. Phone goes in the other pocket lol.

Never happened in 10 years with my Mazda 6. Not a single once did the trunk open 'by itself'. So, it's either the FOB itself, or somehow that button might be a bit more sensitive - the key doesn't seem to wiggle or move any more than the rest, so I'm perplexed.
I'd try using the other fob, or replacing the battery and seeing if you still have an issue. Wonder if some sensor is malfunctioning and activating the life gate release by mistake.

Add me to the "It's never happened" camp. And I keep other stuff in my pocket.

You made no mention of the other doors unlocking or the panic alarm (horn) going off when THOSE buttons get pressed in your pocket...just the lift gate. And the Lock/Unlock buttons only need to be tapped...not held...so they would be more prone to accidentally getting tapped.

Have you played with repeatedly opening the lift gate with the fob to see if there are times it is hyper-sensitive?

Or maybe this is not a fob issue at all. Maybe something else is causing some of these lift gates to open (another transmitter(s) on the same frequency, or something else with the electro-mechanical aspects of the car's system). You might try carrying the fob in your shirt pocket for a while to see if the thing still opens by itself.

Man, what an annoying thing to deal with.

My mom had the same problem with her Toyota Camry. There was a switch in the trunk that disabled the fob and required the key be used to open the trunk. Dont know if this is an option on the Mazda or not.

Hi! There is a possible easy fix: get a key fob rubber protection cover. With the cover on, the buttons will not be pressed with regular rubbing.

Add me to the "It's never happened" camp. And I keep other stuff in my pocket.

You made no mention of the other doors unlocking or the panic alarm (horn) going off when THOSE buttons get pressed in your pocket...just the lift gate. And the Lock/Unlock buttons only need to be tapped...not held...so they would be more prone to accidentally getting tapped.

Have you played with repeatedly opening the lift gate with the fob to see if there are times it is hyper-sensitive?

Or maybe this is not a fob issue at all. Maybe something else is causing some of these lift gates to open (another transmitter(s) on the same frequency, or something else with the electro-mechanical aspects of the car's system). You might try carrying the fob in your shirt pocket for a while to see if the thing still opens by itself.

Man, what an annoying thing to deal with.

Nope, no other buttons engage - no panic alarm, no doors unlocking.. JUST the trunk opening sometimes when I'm quite a distance away.. the "Sir, is tha tyour red car way over there?" always gets me.. now I just say "lift-gates open eh?" lol

Yeah, its quite annoying - i"m going to get the little case thing someone suggested above, because the silicone protector one someone else had suggested didn't work either.

Nope, no other buttons engage - no panic alarm, no doors unlocking.. JUST the trunk opening sometimes when I'm quite a distance away.. the "Sir, is tha tyour red car way over there?" always gets me.. now I just say "lift-gates open eh?" lol

Yeah, its quite annoying - i"m going to get the little case thing someone suggested above, because the silicone protector one someone else had suggested didn't work either.

So doesn't the fact that no other buttons are getting hit in your pocket, that many of us aren't having the issue at all, and that the protector did not help make you think there may be some other causal issue? I'd try putting the keys in my shirt pocket for a while and seeing if things change...or not.

I don't know. Just sitting on my couch, thinking out loud here.

I know Colorado Driver suggested carrying the other fob. A quick internet search on the subject shows that other folks with other type vehicles have had defective fobs that did this randomly without the button being pressed. One guy claimed it only happened when both of his fobs were close to each other...keeping them at least 30' apart fixed it. Some Buicks had the issue after rain or a car wash. Lots of stories out there, and not all caused by unintended button-pushing.

steering wheel heat..not at 12:00. Will have to start driving like a Granny with hands at 3:00 and 9:00 if I want them heated. Why is there heat at 6:00, but not 12:00?

steering wheel heat..not at 12:00. Will have to start driving like a Granny with hands at 3:00 and 9:00 if I want them heated. Why is there heat at 6:00, but not 12:00?

There isn't. Just 2 to 4 and 8 to 10. At least on my 17.

Because it's cheaper.

sounds like Granny is a race car driver - hands should be at 3:00 and 9:00

6 & 12 are the worst places

driving with hands out 3 and 9 is way too stiff. Left hand at 12, right hand rested on console. Why would heat be at 6, but not 12? makes little sense.

Back