The ONE thing I hate about my 2019 Signature is....

:
2019 CX-5 Signature Soul Red Crystal Metallic
The liftgate button on the keyfob.

I can't count the # of times someone has come up to me in a store and said "Sir, is that your Red Mazda? If so, the lift-gate is open!".

COUNTLESS Times.

I've tried getting rid of the # of keys I have attached to the FOB (i'm down to 1, the key to my house!)..

I've tried buying silicone covers for the keyfob.

NOTHING.

I wish I could disable the liftgate from opening via the KeyFob. I never used the trunk release in my Mazda6, I always pressed the button on the underside of the trunk lid to open it, as I do with the CX-5.

Neighbor just came over, after me being home for 2 hours "You know your liftgate is open, right?". Even after I double-checked before closing the garage door..

PLEASE tell me there's a way to disable it somehow!? Even at the dealer level!?

Open up the key and take out the plastic button. Put it in your silicone cover to keep dirt out.

If you are comfortable, you desolder the button as well.

I assume it is happening when you press the button by accident? I thought you had to hold it down to have it activate.

I agree with the OP. That would be great if Mazda made a way to override the fob or change the design to make the button recessed would be the solution.

I didn't see anything in the manual about being able to disable the button.

I resorted to putting the fob on a lanyard I keep around my neck and I no longer have the same problem.

I resorted to putting the fob on a lanyard I keep around my neck and I no longer have the same problem.[/QUOTE]

Seriously? That's just ridiculous!

Change the setting on the car so doors lock when it's in Park. Gate will never open accidentally again.

Sorry, not true. I just tested it on my GTR. Doors locked. Push tailgate button and it opens right up.

Change the setting on the car so doors lock when it's in Park. Gate will never open accidentally again.

I assume it is happening when you press the button by accident? I thought you had to hold it down to have it activate.

You do - that's the thing.

The ONLY thing I can think that is happening is that when the FOB is in my pocket, my house key (the ONLY other thing attached to the FOB, NOTHING else in my pocket) is that the housekey is pressing into the bottom button.

It's so weird, because my Mazda6 had the button in the same place, but my trunk didn't open ONCE in the 10 years I owned it.

I posted this on the reddit forum a while back and many people were complaining about it as well.

I guess I have to find another solution unfortunately.

Open up the key and take out the plastic button. Put it in your silicone cover to keep dirt out.

If you are comfortable, you desolder the button as well.

I was fearing that would be the only thing I could do - I suppose I can get one of those plastic protectors that go over it (hard plastic) versus the silicone one I have on it now.

The only thing I can think of that's causing it is the one single lonely key I have on the keyring. It must be somehow pushing and activating the button while its in my pocket.

I've got to the point now where I have to hold the FOB in my hand and never put it anywhere where it can accidentally activate the liftgate.

There is a version of the key fob without the trunk release button. I am not sure if you will lose any functionality.

KDY3-67-5DY

It says "Without smart keyless. Without power back door. Keyless/advances keyless entry, without power lift gate." in the description on a parts website.

You can try to have the dealer reprogram the keys. Hopefully it will be compatible with the car.

Thats odd. Ive legit never had that occur.

Same here. And I keep my keys in my pocket while I'm at work. Even tested the range just now to see if I could open the liftgate from where I sit, and I can. I've got the key fob, 3 other keys, a small multitool, and a picture of my daughter on my keychain.

mac, could you maybe be leaning on something to trigger the button while at work? What if you keep your keys in your other pocket?

i had the reverse happen to me,
the trunk came down on me while i was putting something away in the trunk...
i have to get looser pants! haha

I was fearing that would be the only thing I could do - I suppose I can get one of those plastic protectors that go over it (hard plastic) versus the silicone one I have on it now.

The only thing I can think of that's causing it is the one single lonely key I have on the keyring. It must be somehow pushing and activating the button while its in my pocket.

I've got to the point now where I have to hold the FOB in my hand and never put it anywhere where it can accidentally activate the liftgate.

If there is anything else on your keyring, you could try putting the key on the other side of your remote. If there is nothing else, add something between the two on the button side.

On my previous Acura, there was a recessed "panic" button that you have to hold down for several seconds, and I managed to periodically set that thing off while in my pocket.

I've got a trailer hitch bike rack, and I've very concerned that I'll badly screw up my Soul Red paint by an untimely actuation of the rear hatch. I've already gotten a nasty scratch when my wife closed the garage door with it up. I knew that was a disaster waiting to happen, but hadn't modified the garage door yet, and had just been careful not to allow them to collide. My fault :(

Last edited:
I've only had my liftgate opened on its own once, but it was a strange encounter because in the morning when I went to work, both the liftgate and front door was opened. I am 100% sure all doors were closed and it's in a gated parking. I just think it's a ghost since it was very recent after a family member passed away :/

Back