CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Flashing cel

Registered Member NaturalFlavored's Avatar

Mazda P5

https://photos.app.goo.gl/Lr2v2xKH1BaL6Aw7A

I can try and swap it for another one. I'm going to check for leaks and swap fuel injectors. Just to make sure it's not causing the same cylinder to misfire.

2002 mazda protege 5

OK. I didn't know what you meant by "Protege Coils".

The issues may be different than the COP coils from the P5.
    Last edited by pcb; 07-11-2019 at 07:49 PM.
    The Diagram Dude

Mazda P5

Yeah so I'm not sure. I'm hoping it's something simple, it turned the spark plug black. But I put it in cylinder 2 and it's fine for now. So I'm not sure if the injector is stuck open.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda P5

Yeah, I switched the fuel injectors between 3 and 4 the o ring went bad and started spraying fuel. So now I can't do anymore tests until I get that fixed.

I just bought a remanufactured injector off of Amazon for $50 overnighted for tomorrow.
    If that doesn't fix it I'll send back my old one and say it didn't fit.
    Last edited by NaturalFlavored; 07-11-2019 at 09:22 PM.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

protege5

black spark plug is usually an indicator of a weak spark, or running way too rich.

Since you've got the same problem with new coil I'm thinking the injector is probably stuck or sticking (it can be intermittent) and it's fouling out the plug.

I'm not familiar with the swap, how hard is it to do? Would it be a real PITA to swap back to the original setup, at least to test and see? Also, what are your plugs gapped at? And do they require a different gap with the coil conversion?

Of curiosity, what do you gain from the coil conversion?

2002 mazda protege 5

I'm pretty sure the original COP coils won't fit on the 626 valve cover.

My car ...

From what I remember reading, there's not much to be gained from the 1.8 L coil swap.
    Perhaps maybe more reliable coils ??
    Last edited by pcb; 07-12-2019 at 10:47 AM.

2002 mazda protege 5

I'm a little confused.
    Did the misfire always follow the coil ?

If you have a sticking injector, the misfire should always be on that cylinder.

Perhaps something is straining your coils making them fail or they are shorting to the valve cover.

Either way, I think the coils should be able to deal with those rough conditions and not crap out when stressed.
    (PS.. I quite biased. I'm a coil hater lol)

2002 mazda protege 5

Rock Auto doesn't have an OEM supplier for your ignition coils.
    (these are Canadian dollars)

Online Mazda Parts has the OEM part.
    (US dollars)

Mazda P5

The misfire did follow the coil but something has to be burning the coil out. So it might be that my jet is stuck open and the coil can't keep up the stress from the fuel maybe. I don't know I'll find out when I get the new injector. I still have the other coils to send back she I'll take off the extra one.
    ZFR5F-11 these are the plugs in using.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalFlavored View Post
    The misfire did follow the coil but something has to be burning the coil out...
    Or they're just complete crap !?!? Bad right out of the box ??

The aftermarket coils are built to a minimum spec. The OEM coils meet a much higher standard.

You're dealing with hot summer weather now and that could be the trigger to blow new coils.

Ignition coils are the only part on my car that I would spend the money on an OEM part.

2002 mazda protege 5

I rememeber PM'ing a forum member from Oklahoma who did a tune up including replacing coils, then his car would mis-fire but only after a complete heat soak.
    He even brought an oscilloscope home from work trying to find the problem.

He finally decided to put his old coils back on and that fixed the problem.

You'd think that putting some brand new parts on your car would make it run better and not make it fail

I have my old original coils in my trunk in case I need to replace them on the side of the road.

I replaced my coils shortly after joining this site and learning about all the weird and strange problems coils were causing.

I didn't know about the Hitachi coils at the time so went with Beck Arnley.

They've been fine for more than five years but I'm sure if I modded my car, they would fail.

Mazda P5

Well it ran for 5 months before then it had cylinder three misfire. Then put new one on. 10 minutes later cylinder three misfire. So it can't just be crap on cylinder three.

Mazda P5

I had to throw my old coils away because they were falling apart.
    Also does the coils have to have a good ground?

2002 mazda protege 5

Well you're in the middle of injectors now so you'll see what that does.

But I'm still betting you've got crap on coils #1 & #2. lol

2002 mazda protege 5

I could see a bad/corroded connection causing a drop in KV but the coils usually spark from the coil to the valve cover instead of though the spark plug wire to the sparkplug.

This is a COP coil from my parts car.

Once it starts to rust and turn to shit, it can spark through the rust and crap when there's less resistance to the valve cover.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast