Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!

Compare auto reliability with reliable results at TrueDelta.com!
Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast

Thread: Flashing cel

2002 mazda protege 5

Yea, don't start throwing money at it until you know what exactly is wrong.

I'm pretty sure both an injector and coil could have an instant and complete failure.

I'm pretty sure the coil swap is easier to do than swapping injectors.

There's wiring and connections for both the coils and injectors that you can inspect.

Your injector could be stuck open.
    The Diagram Dude

Registered Member NaturalFlavored's Avatar

Mazda P5

I switched the coils around and the light is taking forever to come back. I cleared the light twice and it came back quickly, this time sheet switching the coils it still runs horrible but no light.

Ok light came back it jumped. It's the coil pack, I'm going to buy another one and have them warranty it. Haha
    Last edited by NaturalFlavored; 07-03-2019 at 04:24 PM.

2002 mazda protege 5

Cool !!

A free and easy fix.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Mazda P5

Haha yeah, this coil pack is only 7 months old and been on the car for 4 months. So they're going to change it for me one way or another.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

Nice man

Mazda P5

New coil in, flashing cel came back. So what causes a coil to burn out?

Registered Member

protege5

Do you have a scan tool? What cylinder is misfiring?

Diagnosis is key before spending money. There's plenty of parts to swap around. Only swap 1 part at a time! Find out what cylinder is misfiring. clear the codes. Swap plugs with the cylinder next to it. IF the problem follows the spark plug, then replace the plug. If the misfire stays on the same cylinder, then clear the codes again and swap the coils. IF the problem moves to the other cylinder, then replace the coil. if not, then coils are fine. clear the codes again, pull the fuel rail loose and swap injectors between the problem cylinder and another cylinder. clear codes and run it until it misfires. see if the problem follows the injector or not.

If you are burning up coils, then it many times it's a spark plug that can cause coils to burn out. If the plug has too much resistance, or the gap is too large (worn plugs) then it requires the coil to produce more kv to jump the plug gap, shortening the life of the coil.

Mazda P5

Yes I know. That has been discussed already. I diagnosed it to the coil. But now I put a new coil on and same issue.

Registered Member STudMUffin1177's Avatar

Mazda protege5

It's still cylinder 3? Maybe check your plug wires, sometimes the metal insert gets knocked loose even though it feels like it's on there. Sometimes you can push it down enough to seat, I had to get new wires in my case

Mazda P5

Ok. I'll switch the cables between 3 and 4 and see if it helps. But since it went back into limp mode did it fry the coil again?

Registered Member

protege5

How long did it run good when you replaced the coil? Minutes? Hours? Days?

Mazda P5

Minutes

Registered Member

protege5

I don't think it was the coil then, i'd bet that was just a coincidence. Time to look elsewhere. If it ran for a couple days before misfiring again, possibly a coil. But a new coil frying within minutes is unlikely. That's really not even enough time for it to warm up.

Run the car and let it misfire for a few minutes. Then immediately pull the spark plug out and inspect. See if the spark plug is wet? Dry?

I'm suspecting an injector has or is failing. I know how some like to say these coils go bad left and right but I sold my car with 270k miles on it, still all of the original coils and wires and I never had a problem with them so I'm still not completely sold that the coils are junk...

Mazda P5

Well i switched the coils and it jumped from 3 to 4. And I did the 626 valve cover swap so I'm running protege coils. It was running fine for 5 months before this happened.
    I swapped plugs and wires still the same coil. I put it new coil same problem. So I'm wondering what's making the coil go bad.

2002 mazda protege 5

Quote Originally Posted by NaturalFlavored View Post
    New coil in, flashing cel came back. So what causes a coil to burn out?
    I think your coils are crap.

I think you should go with Hitachi coils.

A lot of guys have had a lot of problems with coils. Including being bad right out of the box.

Quality coils are worth the money.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1234 ... LastLast