2016~2023 iOS 13 Apple Car Play with Mazda

:
2018 CX9 Sig
iOS 13 Public Beta with Mazda's system. Has both it pros and cons.

Pros:

1). Split view with Google Maps & Music
2). Album cover depicted when playing music
3). Dark Mode (iPhone)
4). New Apps/Settings
5). Siri in transparent mode
6). Apple Music icon upgrade

Con:

1). Multiple connection issues usually takes 3-4 USB cable removals before connnected

I've been utilizing it for a couple of days and if you can get over the multiple connections issues it is well worth it. I'm unsure if this means that Mazda needs to update the Mazda firmware.

Your thoughts and input is welcome, interested to see if any others have tried.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Update: FYSA, if you have upgraded to the new iOS beta 13 and have issues with ACP showing on the Mazda infotainment monitor, turn off BOLD TEXT in Accessibility on your iPhone. Took a minute to find this resolution nugget.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Hi Azeke, are you saying that turning off BOLD TEXT solved all the connection issues you were experiencing?

I will most likely not install iOS 13 until it is out of beta, but I was intrigued with Apple opening up access to CarPlay for multiple screens in the new iOS.

This means a possible dream realized for me-- that CarPlay could send navigation instructions to the HUD (rather than it being restricted to the built-in nav system). This would have to be implemented by Mazda, of course and I'm guessing might require a fair amount of engineering effort on their part-- which I would also guess they'll save for the next infotainment model and keep it as a feature upgrade for new models and not retroactively make such functionality available to current systems.

Having said that, I'm happy to find a way to pressure Mazda into fully realizing their investment in CarPlay and making the most of the HUD. Any thoughts on what might help put pressure on the company to make the engineering effort? Write-in campaign? Speak with regional or national management? i'm new to Mazda so I don't know if they entertain such customer requests and retroactive support efforts.

Last edited:
Hi Azeke, are you saying that turning off BOLD TEXT solved all the connection issues you were experiencing?

I will most likely not install iOS 13 until it is out of beta, but I was intrigued with Apple opening up access to CarPlay for multiple screens in the new iOS.

This means a possible dream realized for me-- that CarPlay could send navigation instructions to the HUD (rather than it being restricted to the built-in nav system). This would have to be implemented by Mazda, of course and I'm guessing might require a fair amount of engineering effort on their part-- which I would also guess they'll save for the next infotainment model and keep it as a feature upgrade for new models and not retroactively make such functionality available to current systems.

Having said that, I'm happy to find a way to pressure Mazda into fully realizing their investment in CarPlay and making the most of the HUD. Any thoughts on what might help put pressure on the company to make the engineering effort? Write-in campaign? Speak with regional or national management? i'm new to Mazda so I don't know if they entertain such customer requests and retroactive support efforts.

Yes, turning off Bold Text solved the connections issues for the most part (only had to remove USB cable once or twice).

I would love to see ACP Nav in the HUD. It may be possible via s/w (Mazda or Apple), but I'm not sure. Perhaps a s/w Engineer can chime in.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

FYSA: iOS 13 beta 4, is much more stable and faster...No connection issues thus far, status update pending.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

Back