She Gone...

:
'18 Mazda 6 Signature
Welp, I no longer have the CX-5.

There was nothing inherently wrong with it (other than the ice / roof / hatch damage that occurred and seriously peeved me off) and I was generally a fan of the CX-5 vs the competition. That said, it was never bought "for me" and over the last year and a bit of being the primary driver of it, with as much driving as I do, I was really missing my previous 2017 3GT Premium.

If we had gotten the GT when buying the CX-5 I'd probably still have it. But we didn't because it was for my wife to put around town and none of the GT stuff mattered to her. When we later learned that the twins were on deck it made far more sense to trade in my older & higher mileage beloved small hatch for the minivan and to keep the CX-5 instead of keeping the small hatch and trading in the nearly new CX-5.

In retrospect, reversing that the order of that deal would likely mean that I'd still be in my '17 3 GT right now too... Unfortunately, I tried to do what was "smart" and mad the most sense.

While I thoroughly enjoyed the CX5 as a weekend cruiser when it was my wife's and I drove the 3 day to day, driving the CX-5 day to day after being in the 3 GT Premium for 60,000kms felt like a bit of a down-step that chewed away at my soul. The problem is not only am I in my car a lot, but I'm a car guy. So the perfectly fine CX-5 GS (Canadian) with convenience and Iactivesense packages would be more than most people need.

But after being spoiled in the 3 GT Premium I missed the niceties of leather seating, premium audio, heads up display, paddle shifter, etc. I also missed the lower center of gravity and better performance of the same motor in a smaller car. AWD was great in the CX-5, but I don't need it. I tried tinkering with the CX-5 to make it mine here and there, but it wasn't the same.

So... after helping my bro car shopping I ended up falling into a deal that worked for me on a few levels. Much to my surprise my wife was on-board with me proceeding. I think she could tell I wasn't really happy in the CX-5 and it was slowly eating me away haha! As soon as she said "ok" I acted before she could change her mind.

So, I knew the 3 was going to be too small still. And comparing dimensions I knew that the back seat of the 6 was pretty close to the back seat of the CX-5. A test fitting confirmed this. Can you see where I'm going here?

I got a killer overall trade deal (IMO) on the CX-5 towards a Mazda Canada "demo" 2018 Mazda 6 Signature. The demo was executive driven for 11,000km.

So here I am. I lost AWD and hatch utility, which has me mildly concerned, but reality is we have the van for moving big things. With the 6 I've picked back up the turbo motor - rated for nearly the same fuel efficiency in the FWD 6 as the AWD CX-5 with base motor (so no theoretical increase in operational costs), a much nicer interior to be in on my long commute - most importantly the cooled seat :)

In the end I'm a very happy camper. And the current vehicle stable should be sticking around for a while at this point :)

2ugm9nb.jpg

Congrats on your new purchase. The trend to move away from cars to SUVs has been what is driving the market but I do understand the wants and needs to move back down to a lower centre of gravity and the lighter weight.

Always a bonus when the #'s line up and a low mileage demo lands in your lap. Sometimes it's a sign it's meant to be.

I'm really hoping to get a car as a daily driver when the wife's Civic kicks the bucket, too. Congrats on landing that deal, the 6 looks great in white!

Nice car!!! Completely get it! Traded in my Ford hatch for a larger vehicle which I needed for multiple reasons, but I do miss my smaller hatch and wish I could have traded it for a mazda 3 instead. I thought about the 6 also but hatch was a requirement for me.. So cx-5 it was! Enjoy your new to you 6!

I have both. My Mazda6 is '16. It is non-turbo and much noisier. The only thing it has against my wife's '17 CX5 (same 2.5L engine) is the handling. Nothing else. Your new '18 Mazda6 should not have my noise complaint. Congrats.

I have both. My Mazda6 is '16. It is non-turbo and much noisier. The only thing it has against my wife's '17 CX5 (same 2.5L engine) is the handling. Nothing else. Your new '18 Mazda6 should not have my noise complaint. Congrats.

I've been driving my car for about a week now. Given how familiar I've been with 2017 MY Mazda's I feel I've got a pretty goo grasp on the comparison at this point.

My CX-5 was not a GT trim, so that may skew my opinions some. I am also generally not a fan of SUVs without there being an explicit need for one, so that may also skew my opinions (I am however a fan of hatches / wagons). I'll try and summarize my thoughts and keep them objective. For those who are interested I'll also keep them about the car and not about the obvious trim level improvements.

- Firstly and most importantly it's definitely in the same family. I immediately felt right at home with the controls, positioning and overall attitude of the car.

- Noise is no issue. I perceive it as just-as-quiet, or at least quiet enough that it's not an issue compared to the CX-5. And I thought the CX-5 was remarkably quiet. Definitely WAY quieter than my '17 3 was (but so was the CX-5). I am not performing any scientific measurements, nor do I care to. It's just not an issue.

- The 6 is a better cruiser than I expected vs the CX-5. The suspension is just a little more supple without being loose. The whole car feels like it soaks up a bit more of the road improving overall comfort while at the same time being much more confident in the corners than the CX-5. And this is with the big 19" tires on the 6 vs the 17" tires I had on the CX-5. It's no dart in the corners like my '17 3 was but it's definitely confident and I'm very happy with the trade off for daily duty. I'm sure that's the 2018 6's suspension revisions at work.

- Unexpectedly I quickly noticed that the ergonomics of the 6's interior suit me better. I'm not overly tall and claim to have T-Rex like short arms. I had no issues using the CX-5 HVAC controls but always felt like I had to lift a shoulder and extend my reach just a little to reach even the closest HVAC controls. What I noticed in the 6 is that I don't have to try to extend my reach at all. The driver's side temp control falls right into my finger tips in my preferred seating position. One of those super small things that has made a difference I didn't anticipate.

- I'm no longer worried about losing the hatch. The trunk has already swallowed up a whole wack of work gear and I haven't come close to hitting my head on the trunk lid, something I have done and had to be conscious of in the CX-5 despite my 5'-8" height. I can even fit my Milwaukee wheeled tool bag UPRIGHT in the trunk with the handle stowed. It has to be at the rear end of the trunk under the trunk lid, but the lid closes without obstruction. I thought for sure I'd have to buy a new / different bag and dolly setup. I'm way more stoked about this than I probably should be!

- I'm impressed with the fuel economy so far. Over a week of regular use I'm averaging 0.5L / 100km better than the 2.5NA in the AWD CX-5. Same roads, same time of travel, if anything the added power has made me a bit more pedal happy on, on-ramps and out of corners. I still classify myself as a "reasonable" driver though who is conscious of wasting energy in traffic.

City use it's the same. Definitely worse if you keep getting on it. I'm just happy to have the added power and that it isn't costing me any extra in fuel. I hope it stays this way.

Last night on the way home I, for the first time since I had my 3, took the long way home on the backroads of the backroads through some twisty bits. It added 15 minutes to my drive, but there was a smile on my face the whole time that I know I haven't had when driving the CX-5. The sport mode + manual shifting is fun again under the right conditions. That said I may have had more fun in the 3 on the same roads, even with less power on tap. Ever heard the saying "it's more fun to drive a slow car fast, than a fast car slow"? But the 6 is a very happy 2nd place in this regard, especially with the added usable space. I don't think I ever once took that route home at all in my time in the CX-5, if that says anything.

Overall, I'm VERY happy and would encourage other folks enthusiastic about their drive to consider the 6 if they don't need the ride height and AWD of the CX-5, or the access of the hatch.

Congrats! I too will be making that move as well, in a few years tho. I came from a 2014 mazda 3 GT hatch fully loaded and lowered with lip kit and aftermarket wheels, it was a fun car to drive. However, I'm the only driver in the family so have to take my parents around and they're getting old so have a hard time getting in and out of a lowered car. That's when I traded it for a fully loaded 2017 mazda cx-5 GT. I love the car and feels more grown up in it compared to the 3. I love the higher seating position and quietness of the car, much more quieter than the 3. Things have changed in my family and no longer need a CUV/SUV so I'm now eyeing the 6 as my next car. There's just way too many crossovers on the road, I was at a stop light the other day and I counted over 15 crossovers and a few cars. Since I'm waiting a few years, I'll see what the next remodeled 6 will look like but I'm most likely going to buy used or CPO this time. I'm most likely going for reserve trim or signature if I find a good deal.

Nice ride! Just sold my 6 month old cx5 GT didn*t need a suv and wanted a car again. Ended up getting a mint 97 Ford Thunderbird with the 4.6. Most comfortable car I have ever owned handles amazing too! Good luck with the car.

Nice ride! Just sold my 6 month old cx5 GT didn*t need a suv and wanted a car again. Ended up getting a mint 97 Ford Thunderbird with the 4.6. Most comfortable car I have ever owned handles amazing too! Good luck with the car.

Very very interesting trade. Was it just to escape a note, or do you have a massive affinity for that model vehicle, or?

Very very interesting trade. Was it just to escape a note, or do you have a massive affinity for that model vehicle, or?

Ah I could afford the car easy enough. Just didn*t want a car payment anymore. My dad has owned many of the 94-97 model years. Including a new 97 he bought back in 97 ( I would have been 14 lol). He put 400,000 kms on it without a single problem. Regardless I found this one with 150,000 km for 2 grand mint. Always a nice ride, handles really well for how big it is fully independent rear suspension rwd. Best thing there is zero road noise and it*s quieter then my cx5 was for all interior noise so it*s a nice highway cruiser. Loved the cx5 don*t get me wrong, just had a lot of small issues with it that really soured my ownership. Maybe one day I*ll own another Mazda. But a car next time.

Ah I could afford the car easy enough. Just didn*t want a car payment anymore. My dad has owned many of the 94-97 model years. Including a new 97 he bought back in 97 ( I would have been 14 lol). He put 400,000 kms on it without a single problem. Regardless I found this one with 150,000 km for 2 grand mint. Always a nice ride, handles really well for how big it is fully independent rear suspension rwd. Best thing there is zero road noise and it*s quieter then my cx5 was for all interior noise so it*s a nice highway cruiser. Loved the cx5 don*t get me wrong, just had a lot of small issues with it that really soured my ownership. Maybe one day I*ll own another Mazda. But a car next time.

My cousin had a 97 t bird. I just dont remember it being that quiet. I can relate to not wanting a note, but Id be too scared of something breaking and costing me time and money out of pocket on a 97 t bird. My dad must have driven a dozen 4.6L ford sohc v8s into the ground over the years. That, and 3 or 4 times as many 4 speed ford autos. They are super easy to work on, as a vehicle though, if you're a DIY type. Also didnt know the t bird had irs. Ty for that tidbit.

My cousin had a 97 t bird. I just dont remember it being that quiet. I can relate to not wanting a note, but Id be too scared of something breaking and costing me time and money out of pocket on a 97 t bird. My dad must have driven a dozen 4.6L ford sohc v8s into the ground over the years. That, and 3 or 4 times as many 4 speed ford autos. They are super easy to work on, as a vehicle though, if you're a DIY type. Also didnt know the t bird had irs. Ty for that tidbit.

Ya I figure for 2 grand I can afford to put some money into it if needed. I*m very diy so that*s not a issue for me. This will mostly just be to and from work car. Will have to replace the wife*s car down the road eventually as well. I actually worked for Mazda as a parts person/ service advisor and assistant service manager for the last 3 of the 12 years I worked there. Up until 2 years ago so I have always liked there cars as well. They have come a long way. OP hope you enjoy the ride looks really sweet!!

Congrats! I too will be making that move as well, in a few years tho. I came from a 2014 mazda 3 GT hatch fully loaded and lowered with lip kit and aftermarket wheels, it was a fun car to drive. However, I'm the only driver in the family so have to take my parents around and they're getting old so have a hard time getting in and out of a lowered car. That's when I traded it for a fully loaded 2017 mazda cx-5 GT. I love the car and feels more grown up in it compared to the 3. I love the higher seating position and quietness of the car, much more quieter than the 3. Things have changed in my family and no longer need a CUV/SUV so I'm now eyeing the 6 as my next car. There's just way too many crossovers on the road, I was at a stop light the other day and I counted over 15 crossovers and a few cars. Since I'm waiting a few years, I'll see what the next remodeled 6 will look like but I'm most likely going to buy used or CPO this time. I'm most likely going for reserve trim or signature if I find a good deal.

I recognized your name from the Mazda 3 forums , not that I'm a stalker or anything...

But ya I hear ya. So many SUV/CUV for so few reasons. Cars just drive so much better if you don't need the height. I vote to bring back the wagon! LOL. I'll tell ya I have no regrets (yet) and commuting has become enjoyable at times again. Even found a new way to work further off the main hwy this morning.

I would've waited too, but this kinda fell in my lap and worked for me on a few levels including the financing arrangements I was able to work out. And I totally hear you about used or CPO. This deal ONLY went through because it was a Mazda Canada "DEMO". With 11,000 kms it is still new to me and because of the fact it was a demo I didn't have to pay any of the numerous taxes or PDI fees that get tagged onto a new car. BUT... because it was a demo and not registered on the road with an owner I got to take advantage of all the new car incentives and financing with a used car discount off new. I was simply not willing to take the hit on brand new prices and all the extra fees again.

I do carting around of older relatives as well. That why as soon as we heard the kids were on the way I stopped effin' around and got a mini-van. Between the utility of that van and the enjoyment I get out of the car I'm happy.

I'm not gonna lie, I would've loved to have kept the AWD, but I don't see it as a need at all. I have a feeling it'll come to the next gen 6. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for a trade in they'll have a plug-in hybrid available.

I recognized your name from the Mazda 3 forums , not that I'm a stalker or anything...

But ya I hear ya. So many SUV/CUV for so few reasons. Cars just drive so much better if you don't need the height. I vote to bring back the wagon! LOL. I'll tell ya I have no regrets (yet) and commuting has become enjoyable at times again. Even found a new way to work further off the main hwy this morning.

I would've waited too, but this kinda fell in my lap and worked for me on a few levels including the financing arrangements I was able to work out. And I totally hear you about used or CPO. This deal ONLY went through because it was a Mazda Canada "DEMO". With 11,000 kms it is still new to me and because of the fact it was a demo I didn't have to pay any of the numerous taxes or PDI fees that get tagged onto a new car. BUT... because it was a demo and not registered on the road with an owner I got to take advantage of all the new car incentives and financing with a used car discount off new. I was simply not willing to take the hit on brand new prices and all the extra fees again.

I do carting around of older relatives as well. That why as soon as we heard the kids were on the way I stopped effin' around and got a mini-van. Between the utility of that van and the enjoyment I get out of the car I'm happy.

I'm not gonna lie, I would've loved to have kept the AWD, but I don't see it as a need at all. I have a feeling it'll come to the next gen 6. Hopefully by the time I'm ready for a trade in they'll have a plug-in hybrid available.

Man, I dunno. I like my Cx5 over the mazda 6 Turbo I drove as a loaner. Even if I didn't need a cuv, Id choose it over that.

Man, I dunno. I like my Cx5 over the mazda 6 Turbo I drove as a loaner. Even if I didn't need a cuv, Id choose it over that.

That's the beauty of cars and choice. Whatever floats your boat. The 6 happens to float mine :)

The 6 wagon really does. But it's forbidden fruit.

Back