Tire, Wheel, and Wheel Well Cleaning Suggestions?

:
2019 CX-5 Signature
How do you guys clean your tires, wheels, and wheel wells?

I am looking to get some wheel woolies but I am not sure how to clean the wheel wells. I tried to scrub with wheel brush but it was just too big to fit in between the tire and wheel well.

I don't have a car jack or jack stands so taking off the wheels are not an option.

use these for the wheel wells...

Attachments

• squirrel eating bugs off 911 bumper at Cambria.jpg
    squirrel eating bugs off 911 bumper at Cambria.jpg
    162 KB · Views: 142
Wheel woolies are good for the inside of the barrel but not so practical for the face of the wheel.

A Soft bristle brush will work for the face and the wheel woolie can be used in between the spokes.

For the wheel wells, pressure washer or garden hose on jet works well on the rear "fur" wheel wells. For the front wells, an older wash mit allows you to stick your hand in there and clean the plastic surface.

Trick for the most part is to ensure this is done frequently so gunk doesn't build up in the wells. If you have caked on mud up there, the first wash will be tedious.

I use an https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned). I keep it soaked in the wash bucket. Works great, and if your wheels aren't too wide, you can get the entire wheel well from the front. If you can't get to the wheel wells, I'd suggest driving up on a pair of ramps, but it may be hard to clean the entire wheel from under there (not sure). Hit the wheels with some wheel cleaner (I like Sonax Wheel Cleaner) and let it dwell for a few minutes before brushing for best results.

I use a pressure washer for the felt lining, and for the inner fender guard I just wash it with a soapy microfiber or towel and rinse, then protect with 303 Aerospace Protectant.

To clean the tires, I use a nylon-bristled brush and some car wash soap. When they're dry, I'll spray some 303 into a rag and wipe it onto the tire for UV protection and a satin back finish. I used to use Sanszo tire dressing for the shiny, glossy look, but I don't like how I have to clean off the overspray from the fender trim and rim lip after application.

Last edited:
I never worry about the wheel wells - if you do, then steam, "steam" cleaning, or very hot water - maybe a low pressure pressure washing.

any wheel cleaner such as Meguiars for the wheels

they also have several tire tmts.

It is an SUV, so it should wear dirt as a badge of honor.

Back