2nd Gen Mazda 6 - reliability and common issues

SuperCujo

Hello everyone,

Looking at buying a 2nd Gen Mazda 6 w/ auto trans and was wondering if there is already a thread for common issues. I already know about some of the minor stuff, TPMS valve stems rusting, alarm going off, door latch sensor not working but was wondering if there are any recurring or major issues I'm not aware of. Besides that, the list below are my major questions.

Specific questions

1. How many miles do people usuallh get out of them before the repairs become more than its worth holding onto them.

2. Are there any different problems between model years? Consumer Reports and CarComplaints have some differences in reliability, 2009 seems to be lower but 2011-2012 are ranked high on both. So what makes some years earn higher and lower marks?

3. Don't know if any major issues with the engines or transmissions. Will most likely get the 4 cyl i engine but any info on the 6 cyl or auto trans would be great.

4. Body rust. I know some have mentioned rocker panels, wheel arches, and on some subframe areas but pics or better details of where to look would be great.

5. HID Headlights. I know they have issues with burning out. Any way to know which to avoid, or were they eventually fixed? Do the HID and halogen Headlights look any different (when off) so I would know which is which in pictures?

Thank you all for the help, if these issues have been deeply talked about before then feel free to send a link.

Back