In Memory of Member 1338
In Memory of Member 1338
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: KMiata SCCA Solo XP swap

muffled screams
    Protege5 & Protege FS Moderator

1992 Miata / 2003 Pathfinder

I've got the oil pump swapped. RSX TypeS pump (compare it to the stock TSX monstrosity in my previous post):

KMiata's billet oil pump housing to work with their oil pickup (to go over the steering rack). The stock TypeS pump pickup sticks straight back, which would go through the steering rack:

Once I get the seal & gasket set in, I'll crack into the honda bond (needed for the 'oil squirter plug" bolt) and get the oil pan, water pump housing and timing covers back on. I'll need to grab a buddy this weekend to hold a wrench so I can torque the 50 degree intake pulley (vs the stock TSX 25 degree VVT pulley) onto the cam.
    ~Andrew
    Atlanta Region SCCA
    114 DP

Donated: $40
    Miata & NEMOC Moderator

2016 Miata Club, 2014 CX5 Touring, Honda 1976 XL 175

Keeping coming....

muffled screams

Steering rack's ready to go (minus a couple zip ties to secure the boots).
    New inner tie rods, new R Package outer tie rods, and my home-brew steering limiters.

Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

muffled screams

I thought I was done with the rack, until I had one of those "oh shit, you dumbass" realizations while drifting off to sleep last night.

There is a shoulder on the new style Inner Tie Rod locking washers that goes on the OD of the rack, vs the old style washers that sat on the OD of the tie rod's threads.
    I realized the rack limiters I made are a really snug fit on the rack, and might not clear the washer. I pulled the boots off and turned the rack through its full range of motion and sure enough, I'd managed to reduce the total travel by another 1/4 turn or so (1/8" per side, give or take).

I threw it in the lathe and put a counter-bore in it to clear the washer on 1 side, but still ride nice and snug on the rack:

Much mo' better.

Of course, taking those staked on washers off broke the areas that were staked, so I clocked them 90 degrees and had 2 fresh areas on the shoulder to put new stakes in. Those plus red loctite (again... removing the inner tie rods wasn't fun) should be good to go now.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

muffled screams

Not KMiata content as much as XP content, but these are currently being CNC'd

Last edited by aMaff; 07-17-2019 at 09:31 AM.

muffled screams

Picked up the Nine Lives Racing Big Wang this morning. Still waiting on the 2nd elements to come back in stock, but once they do that'll go on as well

Last edited by aMaff; 07-18-2019 at 12:18 PM.

muffled screams

Finally starting to move in the right direction of putting stuff ONTO the motor vs taking stuff off. Water pump housing and oil pan are on.

Last edited by aMaff; 07-18-2019 at 11:21 PM.

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

Cool build for sure!

'81 RX-7 GS, '00 Miata SE, '16 Camaro (wife's), '15 CX-5 GT AWD

What is the purpose of the drain plug on the high side of the oil pan? Loving everything so far.

muffled screams

Sort of like a diff or trans fill where the top plug is essentially the 'high water mark'. With the aftermarket pan, the stock dipstick doesn't really mean much anymore, so that's the 'full' mark.

muffled screams

Back to the engine: got the oiling & timing system buttoned up for the time being. It looks pretty scabby on the outside (despite my best efforts to clean it...this engine needs a hot tank BADLY), but it's clean of oil and grease, and all the important bits were cleaned up and installed with new seals and O-rings where needed (VTC actuator, VTEC solenoid, the 'blanking' (?) plate on the intake side, Crank sensor, etc). The VTEC gasket was absolutely boogered, for example.

On to the shiny cooling parts next.

muffled screams

Finished the Wang install. Trimmed the trunk and got everything bolted back together. About all I need to do is grab some touch-up paint and clean up the bits I hat to cut to clear the uprights.

I gave this no chance of actually working while cutting, but pulling the straps tight kept the trunk nice and rigid:

To fully open the trunk, 2 bolts have to come out, but I was pretty sure that'd be the case before I started on this:

Boom:

Last edited by aMaff; 07-27-2019 at 01:00 PM.

Miata & NEMOC Moderator

Nice work!

muffled screams

Took the mandatory park-bench shot:

Then did some very important race car arts & crafts:

muffled screams

With an incredible Chasing the Dragon Hillclimb in the books: It begins.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast