I have a few questions, fluid FL22, mileage and water pump

:
Mazda cx-9 2008
Welcome. I am new to the forum. I have a few questions.
1-Does cx-9 have to have FL22 fluid? Can I give Prestone?
2-mileage is 175 thousand miles and do I have to replace the water pump? The fluid does not disappear, the oil also has a good condition.
3- What is the engine's lifetime?
4-of course, I have already repaired the transfer box and will now often exchange the oil.
I read the forum but I am asking for a specific answer in my topic.

For me the Mazda coolant is cheap insurance. Have you seen what is involved with changing the water pump? Why take a risk with different coolant?

Along those lines, I'm at 102,000 miles 2008. May drain and fill original coolant this year. Thoughts? Is changing fluid a good idea or could it trigger the dreaded water pump explosion?

I agree with sticking with specified fluid. I was able to find FL22 either at autozone or orielly. If the engine was well maintained it can probably go 250k without needing major repairs.

For an engine's health you can compare mpg, get leak-down test and or compression test done.
Though I would start by monitoring the mpg and getting an oil analysis done. https://www.blackstone-labs.net/bstone/(S(y2llqtmiqlxxvbauprcuhx45))/signin.aspx

Antifreeze life is more time related than mileage related. 11 years on the same juice is risky. Do a complete flush and renew. If the current stuff looks dirty, use a cooling system cleaning product according to the label directions. The corrosion inhibitors in the coolant become depleted with age.

Well I still haven't flushed the coolant yet. May do that this week/weekend. Just worried about the water pump...disturbing whats in there now, putting new fluid in and then water pump seal decides to give way...

Yes. Similar to changing atf fluid on a transmission on the fritz where the gunk is removed and the disturbance of sludge causes failure. Wonder if that principle can be applied to a water pump...

Yes. Similar to changing atf fluid on a transmission on the fritz where the gunk is removed and the disturbance of sludge causes failure. Wonder if that principle can be applied to a water pump...

This actually happened to our 2010 CX-9 where I had the transmission fluid flushed. Shortly thereafter, the transmission started to vibrate the vehicle at higher gears and eventually resulted in the transmission being replaced at, luckily, 55K miles and was covered by the powertrain warranty.

Needless to say, I understand your concern.

I also decided not to swap the coolant, i am just waiting for the car to die on it's own and figure i will be getting the water pump failure long before the acid coolant can cause any sort of damage to something else. 2007 with 200k miles, don't know if the coolant was changed by previous owner though

My water pump died at 80k. Lucky for me that it never overheated. 2400ish for a replacement.

Perhaps the best way is to analyze the engine oil for glycol. The laboratory for me will do such an oil test for 15usd. If the test shows coolant in oil, the pump can be kicked out.

Back