Oil Change Kits - 2.5T

:
2019 CX-5 GT-R
Do we have a preferred Mazda dealership (vendor) who sells pre-packaged oil change kits? (oil, filter, washer, etc) I saw a post from a while back from Nelson Lewis that said he got his supplies from Med Center Mazda ($44) but in checking their site it looks like the oil change kits are for the 2.5 N/A motor as it's 0w-20 oil.
If I remember correctly, owners manual for the 2.5T recommends 5w-30.

Only ask because I'm kind of a DIY guy and just prefer to change my own oil so I can send the samples off for analysis as opposed to having the dealership do all the maintenance. I used to order from getbmwparts.com and would just do oil changes when I had spare time or my trusty mechanic would do it for me for $20. Either way it was much faster than dealing with the local dealership.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

Get the part numbers for the 2
5T and price shop. Oil number should be in the manual..usually its something like
0000-xx-5W30-xx for 1qt.

There are lots of online dealers mazdashops. Total should be less than 45 usd I think.
Shipping is what adds to the total cost usually or you can ask your local dealer to price match and pay taxes vs shipping.

There are a range of oils for the 2.5T. Id go for the 0W/30 if I lived anywhere that gets a cool winter as I would want oil at the turbo asap.

Attachments

• Outline.pdf
    198.7 KB · Views: 349
Amazon's Prime Day is coming up in a couple of weeks. You might be able to catch a good deal buying OEM filters in bulk with free Prime shipping.

Oil filter: PY8W 14 302 (Made in Japan)
Engine air filter: PY8W 13 3A0 (can also use WIX equivalent: WA9790)

The oil filters might come packaged with the crush washer. I would confirm with the seller just to be sure, but you can also pick them up from a local dealer (if they charge you for them, it wouldn't be more than $1 each).

For oil, 0w30/5w30 is recommended in the manual depending on your climate, as Anchorman said. The manual doesn't specify whether synthetic oil is needed, so you can use a modern conventional oil if you want, as long as it is API SM/SN or ILSAC GF-4/GF-5 certified. That said, I would recommend using a full synthetic oil with the turbo engine, as a full synthetic flows better when cold, tolerates high heat better, and generally wears better over time.

I use the Japanese filters and Pennzoil Ultra Platinum 5w30 for my CX-9. I need more oil and filters so I'll be taking advantage of Prime Day myself.

Last edited:
I plan on using the Castrol Edge 5W-30 full synthetic in my new 2019 GT-R turbo. It is formulated for direct injection engines and meets or exceeds all the latest specification requirements. I may not run it longer than 5000 miles between changes although I'm sure it could go to 7500. Driving conditions in SouCal can be pretty extreme.

I got a 5 quart jug from Amazon for about $22.50 with free shipping when combined with a couple of other items.
The problem is that if you do a filter change as well you need a bit over 5 quarts and most good oils are ridiculously expensive when bought in a 1 quart container. Might as well order 3 jugs which will get you through 2 oil changes and plenty left over for top offs or future changes. I will probably do a Blackstone test once the car gets some miles on it.

For the filters the cross reference to the Mazda PY8W-14-302 is either a Mobil 1 #108 or #110 which is slightly oversize. They are top quality. I'll have to check and see if the #110 has any clearance issues with the shroud. If the # 110 fits, I will probably switch to the Fram Ultra # XG7317 which is also oversize. The Ultra filters are so good that you could use them for two oil changes of 5000 miles with complete confidence. That would mean only having to change the filter every other oil change. But I wouldn't start to do that until the engine is well broken in, like maybe at the 10,000 mile mark.

Crush washers are cheap, I got a pack of 5 of them, part # 9956-41-4000 for under $8 on Amazon which helped bump the oil order up above the $25 minimum for the free shipping. I figure the oil, filter and washer run about $35 which is very reasonable and I do my own changes so I know they are done right.

For the 2.5's it was recommended to use 0W-20 Mazda synthetic because of the extra dose of Moly which was beneficial for Skyactive engines. Apparently Mazda doesn't sell a 5W-30 synthetic. (only Dino)

I went with Mobil 1 5W-30. I'm curious why Mazda doesn't do a synthetic 5W-30 with extra Moly. Maybe the Moly was a non issue.

For the 2.5's it was recommended to use 0W-20 Mazda synthetic because of the extra dose of Moly which was beneficial for Skyactive engines. Apparently Mazda doesn't sell a 5W-30 synthetic. (only Dino)

I went with Mobil 1 5W-30. I'm curious why Mazda doesn't do a synthetic 5W-30 with extra Moly. Maybe the Moly was a non issue.

When the time comes (only 2K miles ATT) for my 2.5T, I'm using this stuff: either https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) or https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)
It's the best oil I've found and worth the extra cost.

Last edited:

It's old school moly. Most modern oil use newer forms of moly that don't require as much as the old school stuff did.

Do we have a preferred Mazda dealership (vendor) who sells pre-packaged oil change kits? (oil, filter, washer, etc) I saw a post from a while back from Nelson Lewis that said he got his supplies from Med Center Mazda ($44) but in checking their site it looks like the oil change kits are for the 2.5 N/A motor as it's 0w-20 oil.
If I remember correctly, owners manual for the 2.5T recommends 5w-30.

Only ask because I'm kind of a DIY guy and just prefer to change my own oil so I can send the samples off for analysis as opposed to having the dealership do all the maintenance. I used to order from getbmwparts.com and would just do oil changes when I had spare time or my trusty mechanic would do it for me for $20. Either way it was much faster than dealing with the local dealership.

Can anyone point me in the right direction?

I don't think there is a Mazda branded full synthetic oil with moly 5w30 like there is with the 0w20 for the 2.5L NA.

Just buy the Mazda filters or Wix 57002 when there are sales, have some crush washers for the drain plug, and get your favorite 5w30 full synthetic when on sale at Walmart, Amazon, whatever.

It's old school moly. Most modern oil use newer forms of moly that don't require as much as the old school stuff did.

...hmm yes this is true. I forgot about that. "Tri-Nuclear Moly" which the Pennzoil Platinum has. I may just stick to Pennzoil Platinum I guess.

Cheaper, no tax, free shipping to your door, so convenient. $54.27 for 5 quarts, filter, washer for non-turbo. If you can find it cheaper for OE moly oil/filter I would like to know where. Plus, I think Med Center Mazda is a forum sponsor.

https://www.mazdaparts.org/mazda-oil-filter-moly-oil.html

I buy 2 kits at a time to get the free shipping when spending over $100.

This doesn't make any sense to me.

You are spending approximately $20 more per oil change than I do. A 5 qt. jug of Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum, a Mazda filter (made in Thailand), and a new crush washer will run me $30-$35. What in Mazda Moly oil makes it worth $20 more per change?

You are spending approximately $20 more per oil change than I do. A 5 qt. jug of Castrol Edge or Pennzoil Platinum, a Mazda filter (made in Thailand), and a new crush washer will run me $30-$35. What in Mazda Moly oil makes it worth $20 more per change?

Nothing, unless you just gotta have the Mazda moly. Since my name was mentioned in the thread for the kits deal, I bought 3 when they were $44 each to get the free shipping. My next oil change will be my 4th, and I plan to switch to Pennzoil Platinum with the Mazda filter (I*ll get the local dealer to match or beat MedCenter at least on a 3 pack). I may go closer to 10k mile oil change this time too because I think I can, lol, and the stocker tires will be shot for sure by then, so not worried about another rotation, Ill replace them with the oil change, General Altimax RT43, no brainer for me, obviously...

It doesn't make sense to me either. But I had 120,000 completely trouble free miles from my 2014 and plan to put maybe twice that many on my 2017, so I guess you could say Mazda moly is just a bad habit I can't break.

Just a reminder, Mobil1 is doing rebates until the end of September. $12 back on 5 quarts, $17 back on 5 quarts+oil filter:

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/mobil-1-rebate-2019

Limit 4 deals per household (most generous limit Ive seen yet). Walmart is not specifically listed but it is a participating retailer. $22.88 there for 5 quarts of 0w-20 Advanced fuel economy synthetic or 5w-30 synthetic -$12 rebate=slick deal.

Im set with oil filters for the life of my cars now after finding great deals recently on Amazon. Ill continue to buy Mobil1 in bulk for the $12 rebates as long as they keep coming out. 100% success rate for 2 years on rebates without any BS with Mobil. Cant say the same for Pennzoil. Pennzoils rebates suck.

Just a reminder, Mobil1 is doing rebates until the end of September. $12 back on 5 quarts, $17 back on 5 quarts+oil filter:

https://mobiloil.com/en/promotion/mobil-promotions/mobil-1-rebate-2019

Limit 4 deals per household (most generous limit Ive seen yet). Walmart is not specifically listed but it is a participating retailer. $22.88 there for 5 quarts of 0w-20 Advanced fuel economy synthetic or 5w-30 synthetic -$12 rebate=slick deal.

Im set with oil filters for the life of my cars now after finding great deals recently on Amazon. Ill continue to buy Mobil1 in bulk for the $12 rebates as long as they keep coming out. 100% success rate for 2 years on rebates without any BS with Mobil. Cant say the same for Pennzoil. Pennzoils rebates suck.

Dang that's like paying $4-$5 per 5-Quart. Gonna have to take advantage and buy essentially 20 quarts at a time which is like 1 1/2 years of oil changes for 2 cars for us. Whats wrong with the Pennzoil rebate system?

Dang that's like paying $4-$5 per 5-Quart. Gonna have to take advantage and buy essentially 20 quarts at a time which is like 1 1/2 years of oil changes for 2 cars for us. Whats wrong with the Pennzoil rebate system?

That's exactly what I do. I have 8 or 9 5 quart jugs on hand right now. It goes by at a steady rate when you're servicing three cars for the family.

Pennzoil is notorious for stiffing people on their rebate (check out Slickdeals.net). They were AWESOME the first time I did a Pennzoil rebate. I got $1 off per gallon of gas at Shell up to 20 gallons. Had to do it in 1 visit was the catch, but my Honda Odyssey gladly gobbled that tank full of gas. Second go around? All kinds of trouble. I did one for me and another for my mother in law. 8 weeks go by without a word. I called and they said the system had an error when uploading my receipt. Happened to both me and my mother-in-law. Huh. And nobody was going to call us? No denial? Had to email my receipt in and wait another 8 weeks for them to process it. Very shady. They're clearly hoping you lost the receipt so they don't have to honor the rebate. Tons of others reporting the same hassle with them.

Back