CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!
CorkSport.com is MAZDA PERFORMANCE!

Thread: 2010 Mazda5 with 115K miles throwing code P2096

Registered Member

2010 Mazda5 with 115K miles throwing code P2096

A few weeks ago, the CEL came on. I took it to Advanced Auto, they gave me the code, went to the mechanic, and he said that it was one of the oxygen sensors. I paid for that repair, and by the time I came back home, the CEL was back on. I took it back, they said nothing was wrong with the sensor. They cleared the code, and it was on again within 20 minutes. Took it to another mechanic a few days later and he said the same thing. He did find an oil leak and repaired that. He cleared the code, I drove 10 miles and dangit, that light went back on! The car is a 2010 Mazda5 with 115K miles on it. This is my 2nd Mazda5 (I was in a car accident in November and the car was a total loss. The only thing I ever had to replace on that baby was tires). I never had this issue with the previous car and they were the same age/similar mileage.

The code is telling me that the system is too lean bank 1. We've replaced the o2 sensors, fixed an oil leak--what else could be causing this? I'd rather not be driving around with the CEL light on, ya know?

Not sure how long this car will last at this mileage, and since I am not the original owner, I'm not feeling strongly about its longevity (had to replace brakes, sway bar bushings, engine mount, a world of things back in December, and now it's June and I'm already out some bucks).

ZOOOOOOOOOM ZOOOOOOOOOOOM mazdadude's Avatar

'16.5 Mazda CX-5 Touring AWD, '05 PRIUS

Quote Originally Posted by punky9791 View Post
    A few weeks ago, the CEL came on. I took it to Advanced Auto, they gave me the code, went to the mechanic, and he said that it was one of the oxygen sensors. I paid for that repair, and by the time I came back home, the CEL was back on. I took it back, they said nothing was wrong with the sensor. They cleared the code, and it was on again within 20 minutes. Took it to another mechanic a few days later and he said the same thing. He did find an oil leak and repaired that. He cleared the code, I drove 10 miles and dangit, that light went back on! The car is a 2010 Mazda5 with 115K miles on it. This is my 2nd Mazda5 (I was in a car accident in November and the car was a total loss. The only thing I ever had to replace on that baby was tires). I never had this issue with the previous car and they were the same age/similar mileage.

The code is telling me that the system is too lean bank 1. We've replaced the o2 sensors, fixed an oil leak--what else could be causing this? I'd rather not be driving around with the CEL light on, ya know?

Not sure how long this car will last at this mileage, and since I am not the original owner, I'm not feeling strongly about its longevity (had to replace brakes, sway bar bushings, engine mount, a world of things back in December, and now it's June and I'm already out some bucks).
    If the code says the system is too lean, then replacing the o2 sensors will not do anything for your issue. Either there is not enough fuel entering the cylinders, or there is too much air being let into the intake system.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

Kind of weird. Easy thing to try:

TSB for 2010 Mazda 3 Check Engine Light code P2096
    My Vehicle: 2010 Mazda 3 L42.0L

Bulletin: 01-024/13
    Last Issued: 08/22/2013
    Subject: MIL ON WITH DTC P2096

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)
    2010 Mazda3 with 2.0L (LF) engine
    2010 Mazda5 with 2.3L (L3) engine

DESCRIPTION
    Some vehicles may experience the MIL on with DTC P2096:00 (Target A/F feedback system too lean). This is caused by improper control logic of the PCM.
    -------------------------------------------------

In my case, a permanent P2096 code was set. There were no drivability or gas mileage problems. No other DTC code was set. My OBD scanner showed no unusual characteristics of the 02 and MAF sensors or of the fuel trims. Erasing the pending and confirmed P2096 codes would always cause the CEL to come back on after 10 minutes of driving.

I disconnected the battery cables and touched them together to drain the ECU and reset it. After a few drive cycles the permanent code went away and has not come back.
    Last edited by negusm; 06-25-2019 at 11:13 AM.

Registered Member

P2096

Quote Originally Posted by negusm View Post
    Kind of weird. Easy thing to try:
    Have anyone else attempted this and got success?

I will be trying this later today.

Registered Member

Quote Originally Posted by punky9791 View Post

you need an OBD2 scan tool to communicate with the diagnostic system of the car click here you can find one
    There are many reasons with code P2096. Fuel pressure, O2 sensor malfunction, leakage exhaust pipe, spark plug...You should check all
    Last edited by harveyspecter12; 07-06-2019 at 09:00 AM.

Registered Member

2010 Mazda 5 Sport

Issue resolved? I'm curious to know what it was.