2010 Mazda5 with 115K miles throwing code P2096

punky9791

A few weeks ago, the CEL came on. I took it to Advanced Auto, they gave me the code, went to the mechanic, and he said that it was one of the oxygen sensors. I paid for that repair, and by the time I came back home, the CEL was back on. I took it back, they said nothing was wrong with the sensor. They cleared the code, and it was on again within 20 minutes. Took it to another mechanic a few days later and he said the same thing. He did find an oil leak and repaired that. He cleared the code, I drove 10 miles and dangit, that light went back on! The car is a 2010 Mazda5 with 115K miles on it. This is my 2nd Mazda5 (I was in a car accident in November and the car was a total loss. The only thing I ever had to replace on that baby was tires). I never had this issue with the previous car and they were the same age/similar mileage.

The code is telling me that the system is too lean bank 1. We've replaced the o2 sensors, fixed an oil leak--what else could be causing this? I'd rather not be driving around with the CEL light on, ya know?

Not sure how long this car will last at this mileage, and since I am not the original owner, I'm not feeling strongly about its longevity (had to replace brakes, sway bar bushings, engine mount, a world of things back in December, and now it's June and I'm already out some bucks).

A few weeks ago, the CEL came on. I took it to Advanced Auto, they gave me the code, went to the mechanic, and he said that it was one of the oxygen sensors. I paid for that repair, and by the time I came back home, the CEL was back on. I took it back, they said nothing was wrong with the sensor. They cleared the code, and it was on again within 20 minutes. Took it to another mechanic a few days later and he said the same thing. He did find an oil leak and repaired that. He cleared the code, I drove 10 miles and dangit, that light went back on! The car is a 2010 Mazda5 with 115K miles on it. This is my 2nd Mazda5 (I was in a car accident in November and the car was a total loss. The only thing I ever had to replace on that baby was tires). I never had this issue with the previous car and they were the same age/similar mileage.

The code is telling me that the system is too lean bank 1. We've replaced the o2 sensors, fixed an oil leak--what else could be causing this? I'd rather not be driving around with the CEL light on, ya know?

Not sure how long this car will last at this mileage, and since I am not the original owner, I'm not feeling strongly about its longevity (had to replace brakes, sway bar bushings, engine mount, a world of things back in December, and now it's June and I'm already out some bucks).

If the code says the system is too lean, then replacing the o2 sensors will not do anything for your issue. Either there is not enough fuel entering the cylinders, or there is too much air being let into the intake system.

Kind of weird. Easy thing to try:

TSB for 2010 Mazda 3 Check Engine Light code P2096
My Vehicle: 2010 Mazda 3 L42.0L

Bulletin: 01-024/13
Last Issued: 08/22/2013
Subject: MIL ON WITH DTC P2096

APPLICABLE MODEL(S)
2010 Mazda3 with 2.0L (LF) engine
2010 Mazda5 with 2.3L (L3) engine

DESCRIPTION
Some vehicles may experience the MIL on with DTC P2096:00 (Target A/F feedback system too lean). This is caused by improper control logic of the PCM.
-------------------------------------------------

In my case, a permanent P2096 code was set. There were no drivability or gas mileage problems. No other DTC code was set. My OBD scanner showed no unusual characteristics of the 02 and MAF sensors or of the fuel trims. Erasing the pending and confirmed P2096 codes would always cause the CEL to come back on after 10 minutes of driving.

I disconnected the battery cables and touched them together to drain the ECU and reset it. After a few drive cycles the permanent code went away and has not come back.

Last edited:

you need an OBD2 scan tool to communicate with the diagnostic system of the car click here you can find one

There are many reasons with code P2096. Fuel pressure, O2 sensor malfunction, leakage exhaust pipe, spark plug...You should check all

Last edited:
I know this is an old thead, but hoping for some insight if anyone has had a similar issue:

2010 Mazda 5 Grand Touring - 80K (1 owner)

Same check engine light with a P2096 Code “Post Catalyst Fuel Trim System Too Lean (Bank 1)”? However, there is a burning smell at times when driving steady over 50mph

In that case, I'd suspect an exhaust leak that under some conditions lets excess fresh air into the exhaust (causing it to read lean), while under other conditions allowing exhaust to leak out

Back