1,0000 Mile Update

:
2019 CX-5 GT-R
Only had my CX-5 for a few weeks but I've been putting miles on it and enjoying every minute.

lMWtK0wh.jpg

So, my thoughts on the car so far:

What's great:

• The HUD is probably the best feature on this car so far. The clarity of it is exceptional and I find that I hardly ever look down at the gauge cluster.
  • Fuel mileage has been great so far with mostly highway and some city driving. Fill ups so far have been: 28.27 mpg, 26.72 mpg, and 26.79 mpg.
  • Handling and steering feel are excellent in this car. Honestly, an upgrade from the very heavy feel of my BMW X3.
  • I haven't really opened the car up as I was still breaking it in but you can feel the torque down low and it's nice to know the power is there if needed.
  • Parchment and Machine Gray is definitely a great color combination. (I might be a little biased on that one)

So-So
Bose stereo. It's good, but not amazing. Honestly, I wasn't expecting it to be but I find that it is more than capable.

Could be better:
brakes: They don't quite have the bite I would like the to have and feel a little soft under decent braking. Not spongy but a little more play to them than I'd really like.

I'm at about 1300 miles with mine!

Completely agree on the HUD, so happy I got it! I realized just today I don't ever really look at the instrument cluster. Other than maybe to check rpm out of curiosity and for the mpg.

I opened mine up first time once I realized I hit 1000 miles. It can go, that's for sure! Super happy I got the turbo! Although gas mileage tanks if you step on it too much hahah.

I had attributed the break feel to the fact my previous car had rear drum brakes but maybe not? It's my first car with disk brakes all around so.. When I go to break to slow a little I feel as though it doesn't break as much as I want. Like I have to step a bit harder on it to engage the breaks as much as I want. But the car can for sure stop in an emergency!

Seriously love the cx-5. So happy I bought it!!! The only downside, black leather gets hot if sitting in the sun. Sun shade is a must for me haha

13800 miles with our '17 CX5. (wife's ride)
Totally agree on the brake, which is actually weaker than our '16 Mazda6 and '14 Mazda4.
Probably due to the extra weight.
Just finished a 1000-mile trip from SF bay area to San Diego and back.

There is a complete disconnect between the driver and the brakes because the car has a powerful servo. You cannot know how powerful the brakes are because it*s just like braking by wire. To conclude that brakes are strong or weak is completely subjective as one thing is for sure, they exceed the requirements for every country the car is sold in. You can do it with a seat because there is nothing between your butt and the seat but you can only compare the amount of assistance between brakes on different models.

I've heard the brakes complaint since the Gen 1's. I think they are just designed to be eased instead of instant bite. I got used to it, and they are perfectly capable.

The assistance is stepped up in emergency braking. It works by sensing the application speed of the pedal and assumes that a very quick application is an emergency application. On a quiet road with nothing behind, punch the brake pedal and see what happens. Make sure there are no loose objects and passenger are expecting it. The results are dramatic.

The *soft* pedal is intentional as it improves progression and therefore control. I*ve driven new cars that have brakes so keen, they are uncomfortable.

The assistance is stepped up in emergency braking. It works by sensing the application speed of the pedal and assumes that a very quick application is an emergency application. On a quiet road with nothing behind, punch the brake pedal and see what happens. Make sure there are no loose objects and passenger are expecting it. The results are dramatic.

The *soft* pedal is intentional as it improves progression and therefore control. I*ve driven new cars that have brakes so keen, they are uncomfortable.

Yep, completely agree. I have had to do that and the brakes perform fine. In normal driving though they are designed to be eased. It took some getting used to after driving some vehicles that have that instant bite type, but it works fine.

Yep, completely agree. I have had to do that and the brakes perform fine. In normal driving though they are designed to be eased. It took some getting used to after driving some vehicles that have that instant bite type, but it works fine.

+1. It's just the pedal feel. Many new Mazda owners have to get used to it. I did. They don't "feel" like they're strong since the pedal is soft, but they work fine.

thanks guys, guess I do just need to get used to it.
under normal braking it feels great, just under slightly heavier breaking it felt like there was more play in it than I would expect before it really bites down.
It has stopping power, that's for sure! I learned this as the SCBS triggered a few days into owning it and wow that thing stopped quickly. :)

+1. It's just the pedal feel. Many new Mazda owners have to get used to it. I did. They don't "feel" like they're strong since the pedal is soft, but they work fine.

Thanks for the clarification. I know when I got my last car the breaks were super touchy, made me jump a few times and even after rain too they could really bite in. it was rear drums, front disc. This makes sense, and I am starting to get used to it, just have to step on it more than I did with my old car. But I know for sure they work in an emergency. I have unfortunately been in a situation to experience that already.

Good to know. My former car, Mini JCW, had lots of bite and I was used to last minute braking. Noticed with the new CX5 I was over shooting my stopping point. Glad to hear it*s designed that way and I need to adjust. Only have 300 miles on it, so still learning.

Back