Side to Side Swiveling Headlights

I've seen people mention this feature but can't find it (under a recognizable name at least) in mazda's pdf info sheets.

Does any one know which trim levels and Model Years of the Gen2 CX5 have it?

I believe grand touring and above has the adaptive headlights.

They dont actually swivel - different banks of lights are illuminated as the steering wheel is turned to light in the direction of travel. No moving parts to break.

They don*t actually swivel - different banks of lights are illuminated as the steering wheel is turned to light in the direction of travel. No moving parts to break.

I don't think this is possible, given that the center beam actually seems to "pivot". The projector must be swiveling.

Perhaps in Europe or Asia, but the adaptive front lighting system in US cars still swivel side to side depending on steering angle and speed: aka AFS - adaptive front-lighting system.

What youre describing is ALH - adaptive LED headlight. Which isnt really specific and super confusing, to say the least. Unless the 2019s actually got this upgrade. Audi calls this Matrix LED and its pretty awesome.

They dont actually swivel - different banks of lights are illuminated as the steering wheel is turned to light in the direction of travel. No moving parts to break.

GT and higher has it.

North America CX5 has the primitive system which just turns the beam to left or right depending on the steering wheel and while car is moving. Still works nice but nothing fancy about it.
Some cars in Europe had it 14 years ago.

The European CX5 have the advanced LED system where separate led parts turn on or off in the headlight.

The lights on my 6 GT definitely swivel.
It's a mechanical thing, not an LED thing.
2 interesting things I notice: On startup at night, both lights move side to side and then settle in on the "home" position.
I see this happening, as 90% of the time I park in the driveway, in front of my garage door, and I can see the lights shining on the door.
Secondly when turning a corner, only one light swivels, never both. Turning right, the right light swivels outward. Turning left, the left light swivels outward.

There*s two kinds. AFS (Adaptiive Front Lighting System) actually swivel and ALH (Adaptive LED Headlights) use various configurations of LEDs to give the appearance of swivelling.

Attachments

• Adaptive Front Lights AFS.pdf
    742.3 KB · Views: 455
  • Adaptive Lights.pdf
    2 MB · Views: 273
There*s two kinds. AFS (Adaptiive Front Lighting System) actually swivel and ALH (Adaptive LED Headlights) use various configurations of LEDs to give the appearance of swivelling.

With fear of derailing the thread a bit, do you know how many LEDs are used on the different Mazda models with ALH?
They've changed the numbers of LEDs over the years I believe.

With fear of derailing the thread a bit, do you know how many LEDs are used on the different Mazda models with ALH?
They've changed the numbers of LEDs over the years I believe.
I only know the CX5 has got 12 per side without trawling through each model.

Secondly when turning a corner, only one light swivels, never both. Turning right, the right light swivels outward. Turning left, the left light swivels outward.

It's actually the opposite. You're correct that only 1 swivels at a time. But the light outboard of the corner remains in forward / straight position. The inboard light then turns into the corner to illuminate into the turn better (the direction you're heading).

Even though the current system works well enough I do wish we were allowed to have the more advanced lighting systems here.

The lights on my 6 GT definitely swivel.
It's a mechanical thing, not an LED thing.
2 interesting things I notice: On startup at night, both lights move side to side and then settle in on the "home" position.
I see this happening, as 90% of the time I park in the driveway, in front of my garage door, and I can see the lights shining on the door.

It's actually the opposite. You're correct that only 1 swivels at a time. But the light outboard of the corner remains in forward / straight position. The inboard light then turns into the corner to illuminate into the turn better (the direction you're heading).

Even though the current system works well enough I do wish we were allowed to have the more advanced lighting systems here.

I think that's what Buzzman said. Read it again. "Outward" means "into the turn". The opposite wouldn't make any sense.

ok, so some form of headlights that can put a beam to the side when cornering is present on....

GT trim and above for the last 2-3 Model years (???) is that right?

Back