2013~2016 Show me your winter wheels (and tires!)

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature (Machine Gray)
What to get for winter wheels/tires

I live in the Midwest and winters can be pretty horrible. I was curious what winter tires and wheels you folks were buying for your CX-5s.

I think I'm going to get the Nokian Hakkapeliitta tires since I've heard such great things about them. I want winter wheels that are still relatively stylish but made from materials that won't deteriorate with the road salt, etc.

The Reserve/Signature trims come with 19 x 7 aluminum-alloy and P225/55 R19 all-season tires. I know there are situations that you might want larger/smaller tires and possibly wider wheels. Any suggestions would be appreciated.

Pics are a plus. Thanks!

Last edited:
Winter tire tips from Canada

I live in Atlantic Canada, one of the most unforgiving winter climates on the planet. Not because it gets particularly cold here, but the weather goes from snow to ice, to slush, and back to ice again -- and that's just in one day! Oh, and did I mention the salt -- on the roads, and in the air. I live in the country by the ocean, and commute a minimum of 50 km daily.

On my 2016 GT, (P225/55 R19) I installed Toyo Observe GSI5 winter tires on my stock rims. These tires have driven flawlessly through every type of winter condition you can imagine with ease. They are also surprisingly quiet on dry pavement compared to other winter SUV tires I've driven.

I've driven them for two winters now, and they are barely worn. I just traded up to a new 2019 GTR Turbo with the same size rims, so these tires will be going on the new ride this winter.

Not sure if they are available in your area, but they are designed for a Canadian winter. The video sheds some light on the technology behind their performance:

https://youtu.be/gNJqM-Akplg

Last edited:
Back