Considering upgrade to Apple CarPlay

:
2018 CX-5 Touring AWD
So I am considering upgrading to ACP on my 2018 CX5 Touring. I called my dealer and they quoted me around $529 for everything. $199 for the kit and about $300 for labor. Initially I thought that was excessive but I am told that that is not the case. I thought about buying the kit myself and bringing it to an audio shop to have it installed but I don't know if I would save any money.

Anyone out there has done what I'm planning on doing?

Pros? Cons?

I live in San Francisco CA (for reference).

Thanks.

I actually just got back from dealer getting mine installed, it was $350 installed. You should call around see what other dealers are offering. My dealer was charging $500 a few months back. From what I've seen the install isn't super duper hard so an audio shop will probably charge less than the dealer. For $500+ it's not worth getting it honestly :/

If you want to save $$$, DIY.
Parts: $150 on eBay or online.
Labor: install v70. Instruction is easy to find online. Takes about 30 mins.
Hardware: youtube has the video to walk you thru 40mins.

If you want to save $$$, DIY.
Parts: $150 on eBay or online.
Labor: install v70. Instruction is easy to find online. Takes about 30 mins.
Hardware: youtube has the video to walk you thru 40mins.
There's no way I'm doing it myself. My talents do not lie in making or fixing things. That said, if I'm given lots of instructions I can do things. However, I saw a YouTube video of someone doing this and when I saw the amount of panels that must be removed and all the wiring that's involved, and I realized the potential of me screwing things up. Thanks for the suggestion but there is no way I'm doing it myself.

I actually just got back from dealer getting mine installed, it was $350 installed. You should call around see what other dealers are offering. My dealer was charging $500 a few months back. From what I've seen the install isn't super duper hard so an audio shop will probably charge less than the dealer. For $500+ it's not worth getting it honestly :/
$350!!! HOLY CRAP!!!!!

And you're in LA, things are not cheap there either I imagine. I'm going to call other dealers in my area and see what they offer.

I would definitely pay $350 for everything.

There's no way I'm doing it myself. My talents do not lie in making or fixing things. That said, if I'm given lots of instructions I can do things. However, I saw a YouTube video of someone doing this and when I saw the amount of panels that must be removed and all the wiring that's involved, and I realized the potential of me screwing things up. Thanks for the suggestion but there is no way I'm doing it myself.

I don't blame you. Not many people want to DIY.
The other option is to wait or shop around.
From $299 to $550... I have heard.

The SF area is likely to be expensive but call around. Some places may be running some upgrade deals. July 4th is right around the corner.
I'm in NYC and got everything done for $380.

Yes. Bay area has high labor cost.
Considering the part costs $150, and it takes 1-2 hrs to get it done (including updating software to v70).
You know that dealer charges upside of $150/hr for labor.
Hence, $400 is a norm.
I asked FremontMazda. $500 was their answer.... I passed.

Chicago near west suburb - $425 out the door for Apple Play. I felt really stupid paying that amount.
Nearest 2 dealers $525. That made me feel a bit better.
1400 miles later, Im darn pleased I did it.
-
Its all relative. Long drives are a dream (nav - Waze, podcasts). Chicago inner city trips are a time saver, ust today I saved considerable time running errands because construction and lane stripping really backed up traffic. Waze routed me around the back ups.
Nav, Podcast and text messaging is simple.
Im a fan of the infotainment knob operation, some are not.

Okay. I got a quote to get it installed. $150, he added this:

You need the dash end harness adapter antenna. Be sure you get all those parts.

I think all is needed comes with the kit, right? If I bring the kit, then he would have all he needs to install it, am I right?

By the way, again, I found the kit cheaper at mazdaparts.org. (Is this the right kit?)

Thanks.

The other thing you gotta remember is you gotta have the software updated first, so not sure if you know how or if the audio shop can do it for you.

I asked "Hey Google...who has the biggest dick" and about lost it laughing my arse off when it gave a legit answer. Then I cried because it wasn't me. ACP is good for amusing yourself but thats about it, imo

As advised above, your system firmware MUST be updated BEFORE installing the carplay hardware. If it isn't, you won't be able to get it to work.

The car audio shop likely won't do this. And if they offered it I don't know if I would trust them with it. IMO the firmware update is either DIY or dealer done.

Pros to having done at the dealer: one stop shop, all included and warrantied.
Cons to having done at the dealer: cost

Pros to DIY: save on costs
Cons to DIY: have to be comfortable working on cars and taking things apart. Takes time. Higher risk of bricking system or messing something up if you're not the best at following directions.

A car audio shop will 100% be able to install the hardware. But they're not likely to follow the OEM instructions. They will find their shortcuts for wiring paths and may or may not take as much care in install process as yourself or even the dealer.

Personally, if you want carplay and don't want to do it yourself I'd recommend just having the dealership do it for you. The firmware update is included with the install.

ACP is good for amusing yourself but thats about it, imo

Nobody asked you
[emoji12]

OP: Install the software yourself and get it done at that shop. I have no idea what he is talking about with the antenna?!?! I don't think that's a thing. Watch the install video. There's no mention of this. They are just USB ports.

Last edited:
Had mines installed at Putnam Mazda in Burlingame for $399. Plus I had a $15 coupon at the time. This was back in November.

Just went to dealer for oil change.
Asked about AA/CP installed, he said, normally $550, but he can do $460.
This is BayArea price.
He said, his man needs 1 hr for the job + part (which is $150 min).

Putnam is also in BayArea. $399 is a good price.

So part is $150. Says it take 1 hour. Originally wants to charge $550. So labor is.... $450/hour?
I'd walk out on principle. At least lie to me and say it takes 4 hours.

So part is $150. Says it take 1 hour. Originally wants to charge $550. So labor is.... $450/hour?
I'd walk out on principle. At least lie to me and say it takes 4 hours.

No s***!

It's sad they don't even have to try anymore, gullible folks are just like "Okay, take my money..." Hell to the naw, I'm out...

Many dealers dare to charge $60-80 for a cabin filter replacement.
What do you expect?
That is $12 for the filter, and 1 min to replace it...

I think $400 is a reason price.
$150 + $250 for labor (installing hardware and updating software).
Any price more than that is just good profit for the dealers.

Back