Turn Off Annoying Gizmos?

I hear there are some safety gizmos on the 2019 (or 2018, etc.) that are intrusive. e.g. during a test drive a 2019 buzzed me when I signalled a (safe) lane change because it thought a car back there was too close I guess. I've also seen posts here where people complained about it...

Can this be silenced?

What about other things on the CX5?

It, and other electronic safety features, can be silenced. The volume is adjustable as well.
Unfortunately, they can't be adjusted or calibrated by the driver.

I can't say I find anything in my CX-5 annoying, altho I might wish some things were different.

On my 2019, that can be silenced and it stays off. I had a 2018 and that was part of my start up routine as it always defaulted to on. There are regional differences too. I can turn off the dim dip headlights that are part of the DRL setup but it can*t be done on the US version.

I hear there are some safety gizmos on the 2019 (or 2018, etc.) that are intrusive. e.g. during a test drive a 2019 buzzed me when I signalled a (safe) lane change because it thought a car back there was too close I guess. I've also seen posts here where people complained about it...

Can this be silenced?

What about other things on the CX5?

Information to silence or reduce the volume of most nannies is available via the infotainment menu.
Instructions are in the owner's manual, but iirc the settings are under the "safety" tab and the settings relatively self-explanatory.

I too wish I could tune the blind spot warning. If I'm driving faster than the car on my right, and can see him in my rearview mirror, I don't want to be beeped at. It loses some of its effectiveness if I'm constantly second guessing it, instead of trusting it. If I'm in the left most lane and have been gradually overtaking the car on my right with angry speeders behind me, I'd like to get over as soon as possible.

I finally discovered that muting the blindspot warning doesn't completely disable the audible clue. Mazda very cleverly decided to mute the turn signal sound when there is a car in the blind spot. So even though I have it muted now, I still get the visual cues, and the turn signal doesn't click/clack until I'm in the clear by Mazda's estimation.

I turn mine on for motorway driving but most of my mileage is over twisty roads going to work. I deliberately cut the corners and in that case it is constantly bleeping and pulling at the steering.

My 2019 CX-5 manual (Pg 9-13) says that the entire BSM system can be turned off, or the Warning Beep can be separately set to High/Low/Off.

Pg. 4-127 says "When the BSM is set to inoperable, the BSM and Rear Cross Traffic Alert (RCTA) systems are turned off and the BSM OFF indicator light in the instrument cluster turns on."

Mine has started to act a little flaky lately, a few times beeping when I can't immediately see a reason to. I've always installed a small convex (fish-eye) lens on the corner of the side-view mirrors on my cars. I've not done it on my CX-5 yet thinking the BSM system would be a functional substitute, but I think I need to install a pair of them just for the added visibility.

I've always installed a small convex (fish-eye) lens on the corner of the side-view mirrors on my cars. I've not done it on my CX-5 yet thinking the BSM system would be a functional substitute, but I think I need to install a pair of them just for the added visibility.

I do that, too, but just on the passenger side to aid parallel parking. I point it down to show the wheel. If the side mirrors are adjusted properly, there should not be a blind spot on either side.

BSM is the least useful of the safety features, IMO, mainly because of the lousy implementation, and because it doesn't really give the driver any info he can't get from his properly adjusted mirrors, plus situational awareness.

RCTA, however, is a wonderful thing.

I do that, too, but just on the passenger side to aid parallel parking. I point it down to show the wheel. If the side mirrors are adjusted properly, there should not be a blind spot on either side.

BSM is the least useful of the safety features, IMO, mainly because of the lousy implementation, and because it doesn't really give the driver any info he can't get from his properly adjusted mirrors, plus situational awareness.

RCTA, however, is a wonderful thing.

I agree on both points. BSM really does not add a lot for me except as a safety net when I signal to change lanes (I'm glad I'm a habitual turn signal user. Lots of drivers are not).

RCTA is useful not as a substitute for my situational awareness, but for the the abject lack of it in others...pedestrians and drivers. I have no idea why so many people have no sense of their own mortality. That's why I back into parking spaces when possible. It's not so much to get out safely...I just want to look the schmuck in the eye when I'm playing Darwin ;)

The one feature that is among my favorites is the adaptive cruise control. I love not having to disengage/reengage it when traffic slows down/speeds up. And I like not having to try to set it perfectly so I don't lag behind/creep up on the guy in front of me.

Funny how those things I would never purchase a la carte have turned out to be nice to have.

One of the most infuriating occurrences to me is people cutting in too close after overtaking. BSM might reduce that as it doesn*t stop warning until the car has a safe distance. In any case, my mirrors are adjusted properly but you sometimes need eyes in the back of your head with the way some people drive. I like it.

One of the most infuriating occurrences to me is people cutting in too close after overtaking. BSM might reduce that as it doesn*t stop warning until the car has a safe distance. In any case, my mirrors are adjusted properly but you sometimes need eyes in the back of your head with the way some people drive. I like it.

Anchorman, I like BSM too, a lot, in principal. That's why I wish it were adjusted just a bit. I agree, that it's infuriating and dangerous to be cut off.

I think the biggest issue here is they should have left it alone and not try to make it better for 17+. Ask a 16 owner if they are happy with theirs.
(Spoiler, we are)

My 2019 CX-5 manual (Pg 9-13)I've always installed a small convex (fish-eye) lens on the corner of the side-view mirrors on my cars.

Those things are great, regardless of how you set your mirrors.
I've installed them on every one of my vehicles for probably the last 20 years. First thing I do on a new car.
I also buy an extra set of them when I'm travelling, and install them on my rental car.
They're only a few bucks at Wal-Mart or Canadian Tire, and well worth the expense.

The one feature that is among my favorites is the adaptive cruise control. I love not having to disengage/reengage it when traffic slows down/speeds up. And I like not having to try to set it perfectly so I don't lag behind/creep up on the guy in front of me.

Funny how those things I would never purchase a la carte have turned out to be nice to have.

That's my favorite, too. Talk about a stress reliever! I would be very unhappy to not have that in my next car. The first time I used it I felt like a kid in a candy shop. And it even works well in a traffic jam.

I think the biggest issue here is they should have left it alone and not try to make it better for 17+. Ask a 16 owner if they are happy with theirs.
(Spoiler, we are)

Yep, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. Wonder why they messed with it; there must have been a reason. Is there anything about it that you KE owners would change?

And I wonder why they haven't "fixed" it after two years of so many complaints. Fear of liability?

Am I a KE owner? LoL I wouldn't change a thing with the BSM. It's pretty perfect.

Last edited:
I find my wife*s *16 Mazda 3 BSM sensors to be perfect. The cx-5*s bsm is just so annoying and intrusive.

Latest posts

Back