Got an email: Announcing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Integration for your Mazda

:
2018 CX-5 Sport
Got an email: Announcing Apple CarPlay and Android Auto Integration for your Mazda

Got this email today. Should I call them? I'm sure it would be very expensive. The email said this:

'Connect your Mazda and the rest of your world like never before. If you have not yet installed this integration, we invite you to take advantage of this innovative technology. Call today for additional information'

It says the offer expires on 7/31.

Was that from corporate, or a dealer, or a third party?

The integration has been available for quite some time.
Many of us upgraded our infotainment firmware followed by installation of the revised USB hub and cables ourselves.
Total cost for me as an early adopter in my Miata and former *17 CX-5 was less than $150 per car and a couple of hours of my time.
From what I read on this and another forum, dealers typically charge between $350 and $450 parts and labor.

Having lived with CarPlay integration for quite a while; I really appreciate the increased functionality.

Many of us upgraded our infotainment firmware followed by installation of the revised USB hub and cables ourselves.
Total cost for me as an early adopter in my Miata and former *17 CX-5 was less than $150 per car and a couple of hours of my time.
From what I read on this and another forum, dealers typically charge between $350 and $450 parts and labor.

Having lived with CarPlay integration for quite a while; I really appreciate the increased functionality.

$350 sounds like a reasonable price. but try $550
2mm9v13.png

I almost pulled the trigger on the upgrade on my 17', but after driving my wife's car around a couple of times and trying to use apple play I don't
think its worth it. atleast not $550. I think apple/adroid car play in general needs to be re-designed.

How did you upgrade firmware on your own and figure out part numbers or revised USB hub and cables? Is this the kit? https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned)

Edit : Did some more research..lots of good info here:
https://mazda3revolution.com/forums...enuine-carplay-android-auto-all-here-now.html

Last edited:
$350 sounds like a reasonable price. but try $550
2mm9v13.png

I almost pulled the trigger on the upgrade on my 17', but after driving my wife's car around a couple of times and trying to use apple play I don't
think its worth it. atleast not $550. I think apple/adroid car play in general needs to be re-designed.
$350 buys me a Nokia 8 and $90 worth of food at my local Market Street / Natural Grocers / Sprouts Farmers Market. AA / CP is No thanks when I am almost a human Waze.

$350 at my local mazda dealer and I already had the IPhone so that cost me nothing. Well, well worth the investment just to get Google Maps and WAZE

In the email it has my dealer, and says it is only valid at my dealer. No price is listed. But I am not sure the source of the email. The from says Mazdadsg dot com.

Yeah, nothing mentioned about reduced pricing or special incentive. For those of you who have done this, is it worth it?

Yeah, nothing mentioned about reduced pricing or special incentive. For those of you who have done this, is it worth it?

Yes, it was worth it for me as an iPhone user (ACP). I can't speak for the Android community, they had some s/w issues, but they say it was resolved with the new firmware. Hope this helps. YMMV of course.

Peace and blessings,

Azeke

My dealer is also doing it for $350 right now, getting it installed this Saturday. I called them a few months back and it was over $500 for carplay installed :/

I probably won't get the upgrade. Android Auto doesn't work that great and $350 is a lot of money.

Last edited:
That is pretty steep.

People, write an email to Mazda complaining about how they over promised and under delivered. Theyll shoot you credit code for mazda service. 200$ was what I got. So I only paid 200$ for it.

The two glaring negative things about the native Nav/Info center is, the Nav is not capable if finding a place without a formal address entered. You can't say "Navigate to Exon in Mazda Land, Tennessee". It will list a bunch of unrelated addresses if you try to say a place. The other thing is replying to a text. The system plays an incoming text fine but you can't press the speech button and text back. There are preset texts to send back but it is impossible to navigate to them and send one while driving.
I played with Android's Auto, it will find a place without a formal address. However you have to touch the phone. You can't use voice to speech. Google should integrate 'Hey Google' with google maps so you never have to take your hands off the wheel. Is there an app that integrates Hey Google with navigation?

Back