2017~2024 2nd Generation CX-5: Sequential LED turn signal installation (side mirrors)

sm1ke

2018 Mazda CX-9 Signature
Contributor
:
Canada
Cross-posted from the CX-9 forum. Product description lists the Gen 2 CX-5 and the CX-8 as compatible, so the installation should be similar (if not the exact same).

https://www.mazdas247.com/forum/sho...l-LED-turn-signal-installation-(side-mirrors)

I did a search in the CX-5 forums and while I saw that some people had done this mod, I didn't see any install guides. Since these don't come with instructions, I figured I'd post here as well in case others wanted to do this mod.

Great instructions for a modification I*d consider ... but the sequential signal link takes me to a log-in page rather than the product page.

Great instructions for a modification I*d consider ... but the sequential signal link takes me to a log-in page rather than the product page.

That's odd, I tested the link after logging out of my AliExpress account on my computer, and I also tested the link on my phone (which has never been logged in to AliExpress). Not sure what's going on there, but the store is called "JOGON Motorsports Store". Also, if you search "mazda cx-5 sequential", the product should pop up.

That's odd, I tested the link after logging out of my AliExpress account on my computer, and I also tested the link on my phone (which has never been logged in to AliExpress). Not sure what's going on there, but the store is called "JOGON Motorsports Store". Also, if you search "mazda cx-5 sequential", the product should pop up.

Apparently the login page popped up only when using my iPad.
I just tried on my Mac and the product page appeared!
Thank you once again ... the price is surprisingly affordable and I ordered a set for my Signature CX-5.
Your comprehensive installation instructions will make the job relatively painless. (bow)

I'm following up with my purchase and installation experience.
The purchase experience was excellent.
I received the well-packaged signals very quickly and finally had the time to install today.

First a disclosure: I've done this sort of thing before and wasn't concerned about breaking anything during disassembly or reassembly.
sm1ke's instructions are GREAT!!!
I worked slowly on the first mirror and completed it in less than 30 minutes. The second took less than 20 minutes.
My only two variances from sm1ke's instructions were to begin releasing mirror cap clips at the outer rather than the inner edge of the caps and to take special care to avoid damaging the wiring for the cameras in the Signature's side mirror housings.

As sm1ke suggests (and something I always do), I tested each signal before beginning reassembly.
Fortunately, both work exactly as they should.

The signals look "factory" and I'm pleased with the potential for increased visibility to oncoming traffic when signalling a turn.

Thank you sm1ke! (drinks)

I'm following up with my purchase and installation experience.
The purchase experience was excellent.
I received the well-packaged signals very quickly and finally had the time to install today.

First a disclosure: I've done this sort of thing before and wasn't concerned about breaking anything during disassembly or reassembly.
sm1ke's instructions are GREAT!!!
I worked slowly on the first mirror and completed it in less than 30 minutes. The second took less than 20 minutes.
My only two variances from sm1ke's instructions were to begin releasing mirror cap clips at the outer rather than the inner edge of the caps and to take special care to avoid damaging the wiring for the cameras in the Signature's side mirror housings.

As sm1ke suggests (and something I always do), I tested each signal before beginning reassembly.
Fortunately, both work exactly as they should.

The signals look "factory" and I'm pleased with the potential for increased visibility to oncoming traffic when signalling a turn.

Thank you sm1ke! (drinks)

Cheers bud!

That's a great tip regarding the camera wiring in the mirrors for CX-5s and CX-9s with the 360 Camera - I didn't even consider the 360 Camera because my 2018 doesn't have that feature. I'll add that note to the guide now.

Just installed mine. Took less than 30 minutes for both. There appears to be a very slight gap in the lower trim of the mirror now, but, not enough to bother me.

I didn*t have a spacer (white plastic) in my mirrors.

Just installed mine. Took less than 30 minutes for both. There appears to be a very slight gap in the lower trim of the mirror now, but, not enough to bother me.

I didn*t have a spacer (white plastic) in my mirrors.

Nice. Where did you order the sequential signals from? Aliexpress?

this thread puzzles me, as I've just installed the ones I got off amazon https://www.amazon.com/dp/ (commissions earned) on my '21 GTR
they are dim compared to the stock ones and are not usable in direct sunlight, so I'm executing my buyer protection
but I see people claiming "increased visibility" - how so?
two videos of mine for reference - before sunset and after

Possibly a supplier issue? The ones I got from Aliexpress are nice and bright, even with the "smoked" housing.

In this video, the driver's side hasn't been modified yet, but the passenger side has the sequential LED turn signal installed.

I would definitely return the ones you got and try a different seller.

I would definitely return the ones you got and try a different seller.

Ordered these now: 28.55C$ 73% OFF|Dynamic LED Turn Signal Light For Mazda CX 5 CX5 2017 2018 2019 2020 Side Wing Rearview Mirror Indicator Sequential Blinker Lamp|Signal Lamp| - AliExpress
What's funny is that they don't mention 2021
Neither do these https://www.ebay.com (commissions earned)
Most sellers claim 2016-2019 compatibility
Did something change after 2019? Could it be that they changed the voltage or smth and that's why they are so dim?

Did something change after 2019? Could it be that they changed the voltage or smth and that's why they are so dim?
Looked up stock Signal Lamp KB7W-69-122 and fits all models '17-'21 so model year can be ruled out. waiting for ali delivery and hoping it works better

Installed Ali ones today.
Surprisingly they are much brighter compared to Amazon ones.
They don't fit as nice but that should be fine.

Installed Ali ones today.
Surprisingly they are much brighter compared to Amazon ones.
They don't fit as nice but that should be fine.

Nice!

Just a note.. I'm not sure if you saw this on the original thread, but my first set died on me after just over a year. I suspect that it was due to water ingress from a weak seal and from me power washing the car. I ordered another set from the same supplier (they agreed to cover most of the replacement cost), then when the new set arrived, I sealed them with some silicone caulking. So far so good!

Nice!

Just a note.. I'm not sure if you saw this on the original thread, but my first set died on me after just over a year. I suspect that it was due to water ingress from a weak seal and from me power washing the car. I ordered another set from the same supplier (they agreed to cover most of the replacement cost), then when the new set arrived, I sealed them with some silicone caulking. So far so good!

Hello,

Can you please share the sealing with silicone caulking? I am letting mine install tomorrow by a mechanic and maybe can ask him to apply some silicon seal for me.

Thanks in advanced.

Hello,

Can you please share the sealing with silicone caulking? I am letting mine install tomorrow by a mechanic and maybe can ask him to apply some silicon seal for me.

Thanks in advanced.

There isn't much to it, just apply some caulking along the seam where the clear plastic lenses and the black plastic backing meet. The caulking used for windows should be fine. Just needs a thin layer applied over that seam, around the whole assembly.

My sealed set from Oct 2022 is still working great.

There isn't much to it, just apply some caulking along the seam where the clear plastic lenses and the black plastic backing meet. The caulking used for windows should be fine. Just needs a thin layer applied over that seam, around the whole assembly.

My sealed set from Oct 2022 is still working great.
The mechanic did not apply any additional seal on it because the quality looks good according to him and there should not be any moisture issue with it.

I have installed the clear LED version and it is so bright that you can see the light around the edges of the side mirror.

Back