Mazda want more CX-5 sales in the USA?. Make it a bit wider and longer

I think the others are trying but only a few are delivering on it. Porsche for sure and BMW. Audi eh kinda. The Stelvio! But I dont even know if Id lease that. They cant even last through journalists flogging without lighting up the dashboard.

You*re too focused on space. Like I said above, mid-size 2-row crossovers attract buyers who want a sportier looking crossover. They*re not cross-shopping with 3 row family haulers, so all this chatter about the CX-9 is missing the point.

Besides, the CX-9 is not exactly a sales darling that will prevent Mazda from adding crossovers to its lineup like every other brand is doing.

My point was that Mazda already has a vehicle in the size category you're talking about. Did you know you can get a third row in the Nissan Rogue? Would it make a difference if they took the third row out of the CX-9 and called it a CX-7?

My point was that Mazda already has a vehicle in the size category you're talking about. Did you know you can get a third row in the Nissan Rogue? Would it make a difference if they took the third row out of the CX-9 and called it a CX-7?

The CX-9 would be more intriguing to me without a 3rd row...

No, rolling them at the 225s on the GTR.

Im agreeing with you that they need to be wider.

Simmer down.

No, rolling them at the 225*s on the GTR.

I*m agreeing with you that they need to be wider.

Simmer down.

We good...

One could argue it needs the Big Brake kit right now, sans the extra power and stance we want, or not...

We good...

One could argue it needs the Big Brake kit right now, sans the extra power and stance we want, or not...

Agree on that as well.

In fact a buddy of mine has an ST. Recently had a kid and needs to get something bigger eventually. He wants the ST wagon or maybe 3 series wagon but alas the former isnt meant to be in the US and the later would only be used with high maintenance costs.

I suggested CX-5 GTR and with the money you save over say an X3 or whatever (thats actually sold here and fast) you could buy a lot of wheel, tire, brake ect upgrades to fix most of its shortcomings.

Agree on that as well.

In fact a buddy of mine has an ST. Recently had a kid and needs to get something bigger eventually. He wants the ST wagon or maybe 3 series wagon but alas the former isn*t meant to be in the US and the later would only be used with high maintenance costs.

I suggested CX-5 GTR and with the money you save over say an X3 or whatever (that*s actually sold here and fast) you could buy a lot of wheel, tire, brake ect upgrades to fix most of its shortcomings.

I like that idea, a lot...

Although I'm not totally impressed with the new CX-5, enough to buy one right now anyways, I know I couldn't leave one stock if I bought one too, and my girl isn't in to that (she hated my track car forever, now I think I lose like 10 years of my life every time I let her drive it), so here's to eventually hoping we get a supped up version of a GTR (I won't leave that one stock, either, who am I kidding). Mazda is probably scared to do it in a ways too because it's already knocking on the door of outrunning the Miata (not in the corners of course), so what would they do if their CUV outruns their so called sportscar?!?

With that being said, I think the MX-5 is also about 50hp under powered, but in this case, I still wouldn't buy one if it was given to it...

Last edited:
Strange how we Americans obsess over straight-line power as the sole determining factor for performance. 700hp Hellcats and GT500's are what we are all about.

Step back and look at the DIRECT competition for the CX-5 in the mid-$30,000 price range. The reality is that the GTR, @ $33k, is at the very top of overall performance among compact SUV's in this range. Comparing them to a Macan or Q7 is ridiculous. IMO, the CX-5 wins hands down over anything else in the category.

And, BTW........ I owned a 2014 Miata and it was one of the most fun rides I've ever owned. Straight-line power be damned.

Strange how we Americans obsess over straight-line power as the sole determining factor for performance. 700hp Hellcats and GT500's are what we are all about.

Step back and look at the DIRECT competition for the CX-5 in the mid-$30,000 price range. The reality is that the GTR, @ $33k, is at the very top of overall performance among compact SUV's in this range. Comparing them to a Macan or Q7 is ridiculous. IMO, the CX-5 wins hands down over anything else in the category.

And, BTW........ I owned a 2014 Miata and it was one of the most fun rides I've ever owned. Straight-line power be damned.

Lmao!! Drag racing/straight line power is my least favorite form of racing. It*s boring. I wonder why we want wider tires and bigger brakes too? Imagine that..
s***, no one said anything about the GTR not leading it*s class either. 7, here*s your chance at more fanboy comments. You nailed it...

Oh BTW, I wouldn't own a Hellcat or GT500 if it was giving to me. True story...

Last edited:
Yeah, but you won't be getting it for $34,000............

Never anticipated getting it for that, but I bet I can come close if it's ever released...Numerous folks here have already stated they're willing to cross the $40k price tag for it, myself included...

What you also failed to realize is that I, and numerous others again said we would buy the current GTR over an Acura MDX, X3 (except the M version, but I ain't paying that pricetag regardless), Audi, Alpha, and Ford Edge ST (which happens to have that 80hp I speak of, imagine that), and all happen to be $40k+...

God forbid we have a little car talk among guys around here...

The Edge St loaded with the big brakes is over $50K if you can believe that.

Well having a higher performance specialized trim level offering (a.k.a like the Edge ST) vs beefing up the GTR or Sig, both in performance and price, is a much more reasonable approach. I look at my GTR as nearly the perfect commuter vehicle and don't see myself on a track with it in the future. Surely, to get 80 additional HP will require a larger engine, or twin turbos, etc, but anything to get there will penalize gas mileage, which is one stat that Mazda fails to excel in already.

Back