Mazda want more CX-5 sales in the USA?. Make it a bit wider and longer

So I think that goes back to the whole CX-9 exists..... if you want more space there is a larger vehicle available. Much like Jeep has Grand Cherokee, VW has Atlas, Honda has Pilot and so on.

Problem with these vehicles is the 3rd row, which is pretty much useless unless you have lots of small children. They just need to make a CX-5 with as much cargo/legroom as the Forester or CRV, or close to it.

I find the seats very comfortable, but the driver's seat is wider than I need. the arm rests are too far apart already made worse by not extending far enough forward. I'm 6'1" , 185lbs.

Yea its on the same platform too so I think its mainly different sheet metal on the outside..... and yea size is about right to me. Im not skinny but Im not really huge either. [emoji2371]

Armrest is definitely spread out a bit.

Heck no they should not change the dimensions! It's sized the way it is because of the segment it's in. CX-3 is smaller (too small for me), and the CX-9 is larger (too large for me). If you want a different sized vehicle, get a different sized vehicle. Why would they change this one?
What he said.

I find the seats very comfortable, but the driver's seat is wider than I need. the arm rests are too far apart already made worse by not extending far enough forward. I'm 6'1" , 185lbs.

Kinda good problem to have I guess but cut down on the gym time and the driver's seat width will adjust for a tight fit. Good point on the arm rest. They need to get those sliding arm rests into the CX-5 unless that is the case already in the 2019 model year.

I really wish more cars had an armrest like my GTI (Golfs had since at least MKV). It slides and ratchets.

Elbow room/shoulder room in my 2014 CX5 is a little tight. Another inch or two would be nice but, leave the remainder of the vehicle alone. Ed

For those of us with only 1 kid, a small SUV/CUV is perfect. 3-row SUV's and minivans are just too damn big. The CX5 is about the same length as our previous 96 Corolla and fits perfectly in the garage. A minivan or larger SUV would not fit with all the shelving and storage stuff I have in there.

I mainly put this here in regards to people complaining that the CX-5 is too small, lacks 3rd row, or that suv 3rd rows are hard to use. If the last two are your complaint you should probably own a mini van not an suv.

To your point. With one kid really any car should be ok honestly. A buddy of mine kept his ST. Only issue is for the stroller they have to fold one rear seat down due to length. He wants the ST wagon but we dont get it. He will probably eventually move to an SUV (CX-5 with 2.5t is on the short list) because thats what you do when you want/need a wagon since they are very few wagons on the market.

I mainly put this here in regards to people complaining that the CX-5 is too small, lacks 3rd row, or that suv 3rd rows are hard to use. If the last two are your complaint you should probably own a mini van not an suv.

To your point. With one kid really any car should be ok honestly. A buddy of mine kept his ST. Only issue is for the stroller they have to fold one rear seat down due to length. He wants the ST wagon but we don*t get it. He will probably eventually move to an SUV (CX-5 with 2.5t is on the short list) because that*s what you do when you want/need a wagon since they are very few wagons on the market.

Yeah my kid is 9 and I managed to keep my Integra GSR this whole time. But he hardly rides with me. Wife used to have a 96 Corolla and when the child seat was rear facing, it was tough getting him in and out. The CX5 has plenty more room, the doors themselves open wider, and of course we can carry much more with the cargo area instead of a small car trunk. Plus the wife wanted a small SUV anyway, and she hates minivans. :p

Yeah my kid is 9 and I managed to keep my Integra GSR this whole time. But he hardly rides with me. Wife used to have a 96 Corolla and when the child seat was rear facing, it was tough getting him in and out. The CX5 has plenty more room, the doors themselves open wider, and of course we can carry much more with the cargo area instead of a small car trunk. Plus the wife wanted a small SUV anyway, and she hates minivans. :p

yeah my wife wanted the CX-5 since it had a car-like interior and did not resemble a mini-van.

Agree with OP. I think they need something at the bigger end of the 2-row class, like the Edge (or old CX-7). Let*s face it, the CX-5 is at the *cute* end of the crossover spectrum. I*d like something a little less dainty. That*s my prediction for the Alabama crossover.

CX-9 is way too large. I don*t know why people keep saying *get that.* There*s a valley between the 5 and 9.

For those of us with only 1 kid, a small SUV/CUV is perfect. 3-row SUV's and minivans are just too damn big. The CX5 is about the same length as our previous 96 Corolla and fits perfectly in the garage. A minivan or larger SUV would not fit with all the shelving and storage stuff I have in there.
I have 2 kids 5 and 7 months old - I fit two car seats and 1 wife in my CX-5 in rear (only have 1 wife). For us the benefits of CX5 when daily driving was worth it. CX-9 would not be able to do what my CX-5 does and return 28 mpg. Plus we wanted lower carbon footprint and will continue to lower it.

I have 2 kids 5 and 7 months old - I fit two car seats and 1 wife in my CX-5 in rear (only have 1 wife). For us the benefits of CX5 when daily driving was worth it. CX-9 would not be able to do what my CX-5 does and return 28 mpg. Plus we wanted lower carbon footprint and will continue to lower it.

If I had to have two car seats, my CX-5 would be for sale in a hurry...No way, a rear facing and I can't even sit in the passenger's seat, it sucks. And, it wouldn't be trading "up" to a CX-9, either, as I find the third row and cargo area rather lacking for that amount of intended passengers...

If I had to have two car seats, my CX-5 would be for sale in a hurry...No way, a rear facing and I can't even sit in the passenger's seat, it sucks. And, it wouldn't be trading "up" to a CX-9, either, as I find the third row and cargo area rather lacking for that amount of intended passengers...
My friend had same setup / now two front facing car seats in his Mini Cooper 3 door. Its doable - besides my kids travel small distances < 3 miles in the car as their school is close to home. So after I drop them I can push the seat back for my daily.
2 car seats in UK / Europe would be the norm in a CX5.
I am 5'11 my friend is 6'1.

My friend had same setup / now two front facing car seats in his Mini Cooper 3 door. Its doable - besides my kids travel small distances < 3 miles in the car as their school is close to home. So after I drop them I can push the seat back for my daily.
2 car seats in UK / Europe would be the norm in a CX5.
I am 5'11 my friend is 6'1.

I*m 6ft as well, and I don*t call riding with my knees up against the dash and back bent having to ride leaning forward *doable* when I spent $30k on a car. Two car seats and we would*ve ran quickly from a CX-5, although the ability to handle one car seat better is a reason we bought it anyways...**

Back