Mazda want more CX-5 sales in the USA?. Make it a bit wider and longer

I don't know how they would fit a new model in between the CX-5 and CX-9. Although the CX-9 seems a lot bigger from the outside, it's not that much bigger on the inside. The driver and front passenger have about the same amount of room as in the CX-5. The second row seat is only about 2 inches wider, and has the same legroom and headroom as the CX-5. If you're trying to fit three children in the second row, the extra width may be appreciated. But otherwise you probably wouldn't notice. The cargo area is slightly wider at its widest point, but the wheel housings encroach more, so the usable width for large items is actually a bit less than in the CX-5. The load floor is pretty high, so the height of the cargo area is also less than in the CX-5. With the third row folded, the length of the cargo area is nearly a foot longer than CX-5, which is the only place I can think of where you see a real benefit from the larger body.

I think Mazda made a design mistake with the CX-9. It's too compact inside for most buyers who need a third row, and too compact inside considering the exterior dimensions.

A lot of other companies have found a way and a strong market for a larger 2-row...

Escape and Edge
CRV and Passport
Rogue and Murano

And that's what you should buy if your fat ass doesn't fit in a Mazda. [emoji23]

I don't know how they would fit a new model in between the CX-5 and CX-9. Although the CX-9 seems a lot bigger from the outside, it's not that much bigger on the inside. The driver and front passenger have about the same amount of room as in the CX-5. The second row seat is only about 2 inches wider, and has the same legroom and headroom as the CX-5. If you're trying to fit three children in the second row, the extra width may be appreciated. But otherwise you probably wouldn't notice. The cargo area is slightly wider at its widest point, but the wheel housings encroach more, so the usable width for large items is actually a bit less than in the CX-5. The load floor is pretty high, so the height of the cargo area is also less than in the CX-5. With the third row folded, the length of the cargo area is nearly a foot longer than CX-5, which is the only place I can think of where you see a real benefit from the larger body.

I think Mazda made a design mistake with the CX-9. It's too compact inside for most buyers who need a third row, and too compact inside considering the exterior dimensions.

How large are these children? Lol. I went on a road trip last weekend, and I had my 7-mo pregnant sister, my mom, and my 17-mo old daughter in her car seat in the 2nd row. They had plenty of room.

Slap a toyota or honda badge on a CX-5. I'd bet you'd see a peak in sales LOL.

A lot of other companies have found a way and a strong market for a larger 2-row...

Escape and Edge
CRV and Passport
Rogue and Murano

The Edge is roomier than the CX-9 in the first and second row, and has equal cargo volume behind. The interior measurements of the Passport are also very slightly bigger than the CX-9. The Murano is slightly smaller than the CX-9 in the first and second row, but has a significantly shorter cargo area (even the Rogue has more cargo volume than the Murano). So my point is, the CX-9 is already an in-between size. If they were to redesign the CX-9 to be similar in size to Pilot/Explorer/Atlas/Ascent, then there might be room in the lineup for something in between.

How large are these children? Lol. I went on a road trip last weekend, and I had my 7-mo pregnant sister, my mom, and my 17-mo old daughter in her car seat in the 2nd row. They had plenty of room.

With my two kids in car seats on either side, you can't really fit another person in the middle, at least not with any degree of comfort. And you definitely can't fit three car seats. If all the kids are old enough to be out of car seats, then no problem.

The Edge is roomier than the CX-9 in the first and second row, and has equal cargo volume behind. The interior measurements of the Passport are also very slightly bigger than the CX-9. The Murano is slightly smaller than the CX-9 in the first and second row, but has a significantly shorter cargo area (even the Rogue has more cargo volume than the Murano). So my point is, the CX-9 is already an in-between size. If they were to redesign the CX-9 to be similar in size to Pilot/Explorer/Atlas/Ascent, then there might be room in the lineup for something in between.

With my two kids in car seats on either side, you can't really fit another person in the middle, at least not with any degree of comfort. And you definitely can't fit three car seats. If all the kids are old enough to be out of car seats, then no problem.

Pretty much this. The CX-9 is on the small side for a *big* vehicle...

Honestly, the dual clutch transmission made me cross that off the list. Already been burned on that before, although I know they're not all equal, I was hesitant to go down that path again.

Dual Clutch tranny's require more maintenance. Def not something to be ignored (ei lifetime fluids).

I believe theirs is a dry clutch which probably has a much longer, maybe lifetime, interval. That being said even though they require more frequent fluid changes I very much prefer wet clutch DCT. On my GTI its every 40k so not a big issue to me.

I believe theirs is a dry clutch which probably has a much longer, maybe lifetime, interval. That being said even though they require more frequent fluid changes I very much prefer wet clutch DCT. On my GTI its every 40k so not a big issue to me.

Not if it's anything like ford's. Had it replaced multiple times at 15-20k mile intervals with slip measured in between 6-800 rpm. 250 rpm slip is required for warranty replacement.

The main issue Ford had was oil leaking from the gear box into the bell housing which then fouled the clutches (that were not designed to be wet) and caused those issues. I would not assume every other automakers DCT would have the same issue. Some conventional autos are bad. Some are good. Same applies here.

Also FWIW we had a Ford with a DCT and put 76k on it with no repair or issue. Wife just wanted something different and we traded for the CX-5. And it was a early version as it was a 2011.

The main issue Ford had was oil leaking from the gear box into the bell housing which then fouled the clutches (that were not designed to be wet) and caused those issues. I would not assume every other automakers DCT would have the same issue. Some conventional autos are bad. Some are good. Same applies here.

Also FWIW we had a Ford with a DCT and put 76k on it with no repair or issue. Wife just wanted something different and we traded for the CX-5. And it was a early version as it was a 2011.

Oh I'm aware they're not all the same, and I know they work well in a lot of cars. I just didn't want to go down that path again, haha.

Mine never actually had oil leakage (according to dealer) just excessive wear. Never got any information as to why I was having so many problems. Was frustrating and about to get costly with being out of warranty.

Now I just hope the reliability of the cx-5 is as good as everyone says! It definitely is an amazing car so far!

I will say VWs DSG wet clutch thats in the GTI is MUCH better than Fords DCT. Its fast like lightning shifts.

And that's what you should buy if your fat ass doesn't fit in a Mazda. [emoji23]

I don*t know if you*re being facetious or not, but my interest in a mid-size 2-row has nothing to do with people size. I just like a slightly wider stance and slightly wider tires because it looks sportier.

You*re too focused on space. Like I said above, mid-size 2-row crossovers attract buyers who want a sportier looking crossover. They*re not cross-shopping with 3 row family haulers, so all this chatter about the CX-9 is missing the point.

Besides, the CX-9 is not exactly a sales darling that will prevent Mazda from adding crossovers to its lineup like every other brand is doing.

I don*t know if you*re being facetious or not, but my interest in a mid-size 2-row has nothing to do with people size. I just like a slightly wider stance and slightly wider tires because it looks sportier.

And you would think a car company like Mazda would know this...Zoom Zoom, not...

See this is what I dont get. You want a CUV yet you want something more fun and sporty. So those to me are just in conflict because physics. Sure Porsche pulls it off but thats a lot of money.

CUV should not be the answer to everything. And that isnt to say it isnt the answer to anything. Just I hope we can go back to having variety of car types not just 19 different variations of CUV.

See this is what I don*t get. You want a CUV yet you want something more fun and sporty. So those to me are just in conflict because physics. Sure Porsche pulls it off but that*s a lot of money.

CUV should not be the answer to everything. And that isn*t to say it isn*t the answer to anything. Just I hope we can go back to having variety of car types not just 19 different variations of CUV.

IF I want something more fun and sporty, I go to my garage and grab my car no one here wants any part of taking on...

What's wrong with wanting something more fun and sporty, even in a CUV? Like you stated, Porsche is doing it, so is Volvo, Audi, Alfa, Maserati, and even Ford, yes Ford. You know, those companies Little Ole Mazda is supposed to be after, premium....Sorry, but sportier and fun comes along with a premium product, most grannies and trophy moms shouldn't be driving those 400hp Mercedes they buy because they can...

Mazda isn't living up to it's motto, Zoom Zoom, oh that's right, they're so confused they don't even know if it's Zoom Zoom or Feel Alive anymore as they're still sending out advertisements with both. They're off to a decent start, but we shall see...

Last edited:
Back