Mazda want more CX-5 sales in the USA?. Make it a bit wider and longer

:
2016.5 Touring FWD
Think if the width is increased 4-6 inches (8 inches.. i have no idea) and length a couple of inches they can make the seats bigger (longer and wider. Current seats are not long or big enough for USA market) and add thigh cushions.. Overall room increases. USA has big people. Like comfortable rides. Just a thought.

I saw a Gen 2 recently next to a Gen 1 and it was noticably wider. Hate to see it get any wider than that. Doubt it would fit comfortably into my detached garage at that point.

Gen 1 CX-5 is perfect size in my opinion. Seat comfort can be improved with the leather seats.

VW and some other makers make USA only models. Mazda makes a single global one. If they made it wider or longer - it would struggle to sell in EU and Japan with economy and emission numbers + parking spaces.
Plus Mazda is better off chasing sales in EU and Jina but not much in US.

Goldilocks and the 3 Bears: between the CX-3, CX-5 and the CX-9 (and, assumedly, the forthcoming CX-30), I feel Mazda hits a lot of the sweet spots in desirable CUV/SUV capacities and sizes for different people. After test-driving the CX-9, it was reinforced to me that getting another CX-5 would give me exactly what I personally require most of the time.

Okay, I'll hit the gym more. Still would like to have bigger (longer wider) more comfy seats.

I have seen complaints for the seats and how the bolsters are set up. I can certainly see them making improvements on that front.

However, the overall dimensions of the CX-5 (length and width) should be left alone. CX-9 exists.

Global platform. Mazda doesn't have US-only platforms. The number one reason why we got CX-5 in the first place was that it was a more JDM product for its class.

I can say with VW their global product is better than their US/NA only product. Just look at previous gen Jetta compared to the Golf......

I can say with VW their global product is better than their US/NA only product. Just look at previous gen Jetta compared to the Golf......

I notice the Germany made models had better Fit/finish and paint quality than the Made in Mexico ones in the mid-late 2000's. Not sure if that's still the case. Last model I had was a 2013 CC made in Germany. good car except more interior squeaks than I'd like.

This! I think most of the advantages some other CUV like the CRV have in some instrumented tests is probably mostly if not all due to the wider tires.

Heck no they should not change the dimensions! It's sized the way it is because of the segment it's in. CX-3 is smaller (too small for me), and the CX-9 is larger (too large for me). If you want a different sized vehicle, get a different sized vehicle. Why would they change this one?

IMO the only thing holding the CX-5 back from vastly increased sales is the smallish interior. People buy these vehicles primarily for the extra space. The rear seats in the CX-5 are a bit cramped.

So I think that goes back to the whole CX-9 exists..... if you want more space there is a larger vehicle available. Much like Jeep has Grand Cherokee, VW has Atlas, Honda has Pilot and so on.

Back