2019 paint

New to this forum. I'm ready to purchase a new 2019 Red CX5 Signature very soon, maybe this week. I've been reading some unsettling posts about paint chip problems on all colors, especially the red color. Most of those complaints appear to be from the 2017 and maybe early 2018 model years. I welcome anyone's opinion on my potential car choice and color and any knowledge you have that the paint chip problem has been solved or not. Thanks everyone.

The paint is thinner if that is what you are referencing. but that is same on most new cars. Not seen any chiping on its own.

you're going to get the normal wear and tear chips along the way regardless of what car you drive. if you're too concerned about it you can always apply a film of protection. also, don't tail gate and you should be fine. both my cx5's (soul red 17' and Sonic Silver Metallic 19') are chip free with no protection on them.

Thanks for all your comments. I purchased the red 2019 Signature today. Going to have the 3M Xpel protective film put on the car. It's not cheap, but about $700 covers 24" of hood, the front bumper, front fenders, front mirrors, headlights and all door edges. Not using the dealer. This package is $950 at the dealer.

Friend of mine just bought a new red WRX STi. Already has 5 chips. Maybe 1500mi on it. He is absurdly meticulous. All new cars suck for paint. 3M it, or suck it up.

Thanks for all your comments. I purchased the red 2019 Signature today. Going to have the 3M Xpel protective film put on the car. It's not cheap, but about $700 covers 24" of hood, the front bumper, front fenders, front mirrors, headlights and all door edges. Not using the dealer. This package is $950 at the dealer.

That is an awesome price, even the dealer one, LOL...Hopefully the installer is worth a damn, because that's the most important part...

My Expel cost double that on my Recent Red Sig purchase. however, I went with full nose (complete hood, complete front fenders, headlights, bumper, mirrors, A-pillars, 24* of roof, rear bumper guard, door handle cups, and door sills)

As other suggested in the Forum, I didn*t try to negotiate so as not to get an inferior instal. The Xpel product was $999 on the invoice, restwas labor. My shop (not the dealer) does all the vehicles for local Porsche dealer. I*ve never would have done this until researching on this Forum before purchase. I*m very happy with the end result. The Expel installer stated all cars today have *thinner* paint owing that the additives that made the painter stronger are banned as they are toxic.

I agree you got a great deal on your Sig. I had to drive 1 hr to get a decent deal. No rebates on the GTR or Sig in my area. And I*m new to Mazda so no loyalty rebates either.

Back