Smoothing out plastic trim on rear bumper

:
2019 CX5 Touring/Preferred Pkg
Hi all,

Last night I managed to backup into another car that was parked way to close to my behind. The camera didn't load in time and I let go of the brakes before hearing a loud BOOM!
Anyhow, thankfully there is no damage to the paint except for some deep scratches and deep grooves on the black plastic trim underneath the painted bumper from the screws on the other vehicle's license plates.

Is there anyway to smooth these out or make them less visible? I can post a picture later on but wanted to know if there is something I can do to smooth it out without too much damage (sanding with fine grit?)

Thanks

I had body shops that really couldn't do anything with the black plastic cladding. Even if you sanded, that area will probably end up looking different from the rest of it.

Nope. Can't do anything about it, due to it being a textured panel. Anything you do will smooth out the texture and it will end up being smoother than the surrounding area. It's just like matte paint, you can't polish it at all because it will end up more glossy. The bumper will have to be replaced if you want it fixed.

You can get some black plastidip and spray the area with a couple light coats until it blends in. On my 14 CX-5 some road debris clipped the lower front bumper and scuffed up the black trim and I was able to use the plastidip and you couldnt even tell anything happened.

Nothing you can do that will look oem, but if it's bad enough to consider replacement then you can experiment with the old one first. An epoxy filler can be used in the voids and sanded smooth. Plasti Dip (+1 Seminole) could be sprayed over the entire piece or have it vinyl wrapped. I've used the spray cans of Plasti Dip and was surprised how well it goes on.

Back