2017~2024 Vehicle protection and mild customizations for 2019 Mazda CX-5 2.5T

:
2019 Mazda CX-5 Signature (Machine Gray)
Hey all! First post here. I'm purchasing a 2.5T Mazda CX-5 in July/August (when my 3 lease is up) and excited to keep this vehicle nice for a long time. I haven't decided between the GT Reserve or Signature yet but if the wife like the brown leather I might just go with the Sig.

As a side note, I'm choosing the CX-5 over the Volvo XC40. Beyond some personal preference on the aesthetics of the Volvo, the Mazda is better to me in almost every other way. This includes the approaching $10k gap for similarly equipped model. Mazda has a more performant engine for daily driving and the handling/steering feels so much better. There's 100 more reasons too including reliability, cost of ownership, and ease of service (since there are so many more Mazda dealers compared to Volvo). Just my opinion :)

I wanted the opinions of the community on a few things:
- Paint Protection Film
- Ceramic Paint Coating
- Front License Plate Bracket (no holes in the paint)
- Customization: companies that make performance or cosmetic parts for the 2nd gen CX-5

Paint Protection Film/Ceramic Coating:
I'm wondering if I'm going over the top with trying to protect the car. It looks like for film and ceramic paint coat it's anywhere from $1,500-$3,000 in the Cleveland area. Anyone have an opinion on cost to benefit having done this to their Mazda or other vehicles in the past? Does it affect the paint in any negative way?

Front License Plate Bracket:
I saw the platypus but at $93 it is kind of steep. The reason I say that is because in 1 year Ohio is removing the requirement for front license plates in the state. Most dealers only install the OEM plate bracket at request of the purchaser, and I'd rather avoid the holes if possible. I didn't see many/any gen2 CX-5 alternatives to the platypus. Has anyone had success with a less expensive front plate bracket?

Customization:
I really love the fact that Mazda came out with such competitive and performant versions of the CX-5 compared to entry-level luxury brands. I see on Mazda's site there is a 'Signature badge' but I can't find a picture of it. Are there any customizations that you have put on your Mazda to make it stand out a bit? Custom badging to show off the turbo? Body kits? Are there some companies other than corksports that work on things like that for Mazda?
I'm not looking for underbody lighting or bigger rims. Just some simple nods to make the CX-5 unique from another.

Thanks for reading, I didn't see all of these topics in a single post on here so i hope this isn't a repost. Look forward to your replies.

Last edited:
- Paint Protection Film
- Ceramic Paint Coating
- Customization: companies that make performance or cosmetic parts for the 2nd gen CX-5

I'm wondering if I'm going over the top with trying to protect the car. It looks like for film and ceramic paint coat it's anywhere from $1,500-$3,000 in the Cleveland area. Anyone have an opinion on cost to benefit having done this to their Mazda or other vehicles in the past? Does it affect the paint in any negative way?

I saw the platypus but at $93 it is kind of steep. The reason I say that is because in 1 year Ohio is removing the requirement for front license plates in the state. Most dealers only install the OEM plate bracket at request of the purchaser, and I'd rather avoid the holes if possible. I didn't see many/any gen2 CX-5 alternatives to the platypus. Has anyone had success with a less expensive front plate bracket?

Customization:
I really love the fact that Mazda came out with such competitive and performant versions of the CX-5 compared to entry-level luxury brands. I see on Mazda's site there is a 'Signature badge' but I can't find a picture of it. Are there any customizations that you have put on your Mazda to make it stand out a bit? Custom badging to show off the turbo? Body kits? Are there some companies other than corksports that work on things like that for Mazda?
I'm not looking for underbody lighting or bigger rims. Just some simple nods to make the CX-5 unique from another.

Regarding PPF, if you plan to keep the car for a long time, PPF is something I would definitely consider. I had it applied to parts of the front clip of my CX-9, but if I could do it again, I'd have the entire car wrapped in PPF. It's worth it to prevent damage from rock chips, minor door dings, and contact from kid's toys and wife's handbags. As long as you have a good installer, and you apply a coat of wax once or twice a year, you shouldn't run into any issues in the long run. I've heard that Suntek and Xpel brands are the ones to go for.

It's only a few dollars cheaper, but I got a Rho-plate for my front license plate. The Platypus looks like a similar, but different product. If you won't need the front plate in a year, I'd look into a temporary solution, like adding some foam backing to the plate, then zip-tying it to the black plastic crossbar between the fog lights.

The Signature does come with an "Sg" badge on the CX-5. There is also a lip kit available on aliexpress I think, but I don't remember who makes it.

Full body PPF can easily run $6K to $10K depending on body size and complexity, and it will eventually wear out and have to be replaced anyway.

Regarding PPF, if you plan to keep the car for a long time, PPF is something I would definitely consider. I had it applied to parts of the front clip of my CX-9, but if I could do it again, I'd have the entire car wrapped in PPF. It's worth it to prevent damage from rock chips, minor door dings, and contact from kid's toys and wife's handbags. As long as you have a good installer, and you apply a coat of wax once or twice a year, you shouldn't run into any issues in the long run. I've heard that Suntek and Xpel brands are the ones to go for.

It's only a few dollars cheaper, but I got a Rho-plate for my front license plate. The Platypus looks like a similar, but different product. If you won't need the front plate in a year, I'd look into a temporary solution, like adding some foam backing to the plate, then zip-tying it to the black plastic crossbar between the fog lights.

The Signature does come with an "Sg" badge on the CX-5. There is also a lip kit available on aliexpress I think, but I don't remember who makes it.

I do plan on keeping the vehicle for 5-10 years. I just got a quote for ~$2500 which includes partial front PPF (mid-hood, front bumper, and front side mirrors), 2-layer ceramic coating (one 9H and 1 top layer for gloss) which including covering the PPF, and paint correction even though it's new. It seems more reasonable than a lot of other pricing I've seen. I will get full PPF quoted but that seems to be the most expensive part, sounds like it might be worth it though based on your experience. I verified they use Suntek for their PPF material.

Thanks for the advice on the front bracket too! I may just do that to avoid the bracket holes or just chance a ticket for a year. I've heard so many stories where ppl have driven for decades and never got a ticket. Then I've heard the opposite too, lol.

I didn't realize the special badge was the Sg one. Makes sense now that I googled that specifically and finally found a pic. I'm guessing after the warranty expires I'll delve into mods if the vehicle still gives me the itch. Appreciate your comments and hope you're enjoying your Mazda :)

Full body PPF can easily run $6K to $10K depending on body size and complexity, and it will eventually wear out and have to be replaced anyway.
How long do they normally last when using good materials?

The quote I got looked like the PPF would be right around your amount for the full vehicle. I think I'm planning on protecting the usual spots and use a ceramic coating on the rest. They quoted me a 10-year warranty on the wrap and 5-year on the coating. I think as long as the wrap lasts that long that would be around the time I'd be trading in for the next vehicle. I figure if there's damage to the rest of the vehicle I can touch that up as needed.

Appreciate your feedback!

I do plan on keeping the vehicle for 5-10 years. I just got a quote for ~$2500 which includes partial front PPF (mid-hood, front bumper, and front side mirrors), 2-layer ceramic coating (one 9H and 1 top layer for gloss) which including covering the PPF, and paint correction even though it's new. It seems more reasonable than a lot of other pricing I've seen. I will get full PPF quoted but that seems to be the most expensive part, sounds like it might be worth it though based on your experience. I verified they use Suntek for their PPF material.

Appreciate your comments and hope you're enjoying your Mazda :)

I think $2500 is still a bit high, even with the 2 layers of ceramic coating and the paint correction. The reason I say this is because I've hunted down quotes for everything separately (minus PPF because I already had it). In my quotes, 2 layers of ceramic coating can run anywhere from $500 to $1200 depending on the installer. Paint correction would have run me $200 max. And I had partial 3M PPF coverage (24" hood, portion of fenders, side mirror caps and bumper) worked into my deal. The dealer had the PPF installed before delivery, and it would have cost them probably around $600 (retail would be higher, I assume). All in all that works out to $1300 - $2000 CAD. If you're comfortable with the shop and happy with the cost, by all means. If it were me, I'd consider getting a few more quotes before biting the bullet. And I would also consider getting the entire hood covered. It looks much cleaner, and will protect the entire hood (I have a few rock chips close to the windshield). As far as durability, the Suntek/Xpel films should last 8-10 years with good maintenance (wax once or twice a year, clean bugs/bird poop off promptly). PPF will wear out, sure, but when you remove it, you're left with the OEM paint in hopefully near perfect condition. That would have been worth it IMO.

I'm absolutely loving my CX-9!

$200 max for paint correction? I would run from that one. There's no way a decent detailer worth their salt would charge that little for paint correction. The car has to be completely washed and decontaminated before paint correction can happen. It should be more like $500 to $1,000.

How long do they normally last when using good materials?

The quote I got looked like the PPF would be right around your amount for the full vehicle. I think I'm planning on protecting the usual spots and use a ceramic coating on the rest. They quoted me a 10-year warranty on the wrap and 5-year on the coating. I think as long as the wrap lasts that long that would be around the time I'd be trading in for the next vehicle. I figure if there's damage to the rest of the vehicle I can touch that up as needed.

Appreciate your feedback!

keep in mind that you will have to maintain that ceramic coating during those 5 years, like topping up the outer sacrificial layer at least once or twice a year. You can't just do nothing to it and expect it to last 5 years. They don't work that way. They're also more sensitive to water spotting than regular waxes.

keep in mind that you will have to maintain that ceramic coating during those 5 years, like topping up the outer sacrificial layer at least once or twice a year. You can't just do nothing to it and expect it to last 5 years. They don't work that way. They're also more sensitive to water spotting than regular waxes.
Ah, good to know. I expected there would be some upkeep. So to "top it off" is it normal to take it back to the detailer or to purchase additional ceramic coating and do it yourself?

I'm half tempted to do the ceramic coating myself. It would require some upfront cost but I could buy consumer grade coatings that only last 1-2 years and keep up on it myself. I enjoy detailing my own cars and it seems it would be more cost effective in the long run. I could practice on my wife's 10 year old Ford first. :)

The Signature does come with an "Sg" badge on the CX-5.

Are you sure about this? At my last service visit last week, I walked the new car lot and was trying to compare the differences between a 19 Sig and GTR. I had problems finding the Signature as I was looking for the little Sg badge on rear deck lid lower left. After not finding any despite being told the lot was full of them, I started to look at the Options list on the passenger window only to find that indeed some were Signatures without the badging.

Perhaps Mazda has dropped the badging on these new builds.

Ah, good to know. I expected there would be some upkeep. So to "top it off" is it normal to take it back to the detailer or to purchase additional ceramic coating and do it yourself?

I'm half tempted to do the ceramic coating myself. It would require some upfront cost but I could buy consumer grade coatings that only last 1-2 years and keep up on it myself. I enjoy detailing my own cars and it seems it would be more cost effective in the long run. I could practice on my wife's 10 year old Ford first. :)

Check out Obsessed Garage or Pan the Organizer channels on YouTube. Lots of good info. Gtechniq Crystal Serum Light topped with their EXO v4 is a popular combo from what I've heard, is fairly forgiving and doesn't cost a crap ton. Around $110 on the Gtechniq website for both products with enough to do a couple of cars. Be sure to discard any microfiber towels used during the coating removal/leveling process, as the stuff will cure in the towels to create basically microscopic glass particles in the fibers.

Last edited:
$200 max for paint correction? I would run from that one. There's no way a decent detailer worth their salt would charge that little for paint correction. The car has to be completely washed and decontaminated before paint correction can happen. It should be more like $500 to $1,000.

It's paint correction on a brand new car. There isn't much to correct, which is why I was quoted that price. $500-1000 makes sense if you're talking about a 4 year old car that regularly sees grocery lots and automatic car washes. Anyway, no point in discussing exactly how much the correction, or any service should cost, as prices will vary across detailers/countries. The point is that I wouldn't go with the first quote I got. Get multiple quotes, ask questions, look at their galleries, look through their reviews. Then make a decision based on your priorities (money spent vs. quality of work).

From a reputable professional detailer who handles all of the detail work for local BMW, Porsche, Mercedes and Audi dealerships:

"Maintenance work is recommended once to twice a year depending on conditions and driving time. This consists of a decon wash and tar removal (approximately $140-$160). You can use topper coatings if you desire but it*s not needed."

You do have to maintain it, but a topper coating isn't necessary, at least for the coatings this detailer applies (Optimum Glosscoat, Paint Guard, Pro and Pro Plus, and CQuartz Pro). Also, this detailer states that the coatings provide excellent water spot protection (meaning that the paint is more resistant to water spots etching into the finish, which makes it easier to clean). Water spots will develop if you have hard water and the water happens to sit and dry on the car. I've found that the only thing that "prevents" water spotting is a wax/sealant/coating that has good water sheeting properties. According to this detailer, the coatings are better than most waxes for chemical protection, but again, this depends on the products being used.

Are you sure about this? At my last service visit last week, I walked the new car lot and was trying to compare the differences between a 19 Sig and GTR. I had problems finding the Signature as I was looking for the little Sg badge on rear deck lid lower left. After not finding any despite being told the lot was full of them, I started to look at the Options list on the passenger window only to find that indeed some were Signatures without the badging.

Perhaps Mazda has dropped the badging on these new builds.

It's possible that the Sg badging is region specific. I haven't been to a Mazda dealer lately, but I haven't seen a CX-5 with an Sg badge around here either.

Hey all! First post here. I'm purchasing a 2.5T Mazda CX-5 in July/August (when my 3 lease is up) and excited to keep this vehicle nice for a long time. I haven't decided between the GT Reserve or Signature yet but if the wife like the brown leather I might just go with the Sig.

As a side note, I'm choosing the CX-5 over the Volvo XC40. Beyond some personal preference on the aesthetics of the Volvo, the Mazda is better to me in almost every other way. This includes the approaching $10k gap for similarly equipped model. Mazda has a more performant engine for daily driving and the handling/steering feels so much better. There's 100 more reasons too including reliability, cost of ownership, and ease of service (since there are so many more Mazda dealers compared to Volvo). Just my opinion :)

- Paint Protection Film
- Ceramic Paint Coating

Customization:

Thanks for reading, I didn't see all of these topics in a single post on here so i hope this isn't a repost. Look forward to your replies.
In Ontario Canada, the CX 5 Turbo Signature has a very small chrome badge on rear that says "Turbo". Nothing fancy.

The licence plate holder was on FRONT of my car, and dealer charged me $35 to unscrew my old plates from my old car and screw them onto the new car in 2 minutes! The holder has the dealers name on it of course. I should charge them for advertising. Yes, I know what your going to say about the charge.

The holder has the dealers name on it of course. I should charge them for advertising. Yes, I know what your going to say about the charge.
So you have the dealer frame on your car which cost you nothing? When someone says this I counter "I bet you might have some piece of apparel that advertises for Nike, Adidas, Champion, Wilson, or some other company - and that one you're actually paying for..

PPF's all my Phoenix cars, looks good even 5 years later. Full hood, Full front fenders, Bumper, headlights, mirror backs. Prices have gone up and is about $2,000 now. I love having a 3 year old car that looks brand new, no chips. I'm spending money on PPF before body kits, intakes and such. I actually had someone poo-poo PPF and say "I'd rather spend money on something I can see" - well, you'll see those bumper and hood chips in 2 months"

Back