2019 Mods CX9 (Same for CX5 and Mazda 6)

:
CX9, Signature 2017
Mod1.jpegMod2.jpegMod3.jpegMod4.jpegMod5.jpeg

2019 Mods

I also used Cork Sports cat back and found it was as loud as my speed3. I put the OEM mid pipe back on nd just used the axel back and its just right. What is your opinion of the sound level?

Cork Sports Cat Back - OrangeVirus Tune Rafael Answer my EMAILS!

What's that in the tailpipe? Exhaust silencer?

And why is the torque so low on the last pic?

Cork Sports Cat Back Facts

- It is a beautiful piece of engineering design, materials and perfect fit.
- The shipping and packing was first class.
- The support from CortSport's team was prompt and professional.
- The tips looks great on the back of the CX9.
- The CorkSport exhaust is tuned too loud for my liking. Cold start was even more unbearable due to Mazda post start revving the engine to 1500 RPMs for 20 seconds.
- I currently have three other modded\tuned cars. The CX9 with the exhaust was louder than my Audi S8 with 723HP/Downpipes.
- So I did not want to get rid of the free flowing design because I am working with OrangeVirus on tuning the 2.5T. Stay tuned OrangeVirus is currently failing in this request.
- In the pictures you can see , I also used the CorkSport intake and inlet tube all at the same time.

Solution to making the CorkSport more inline with my tastes.
- Using a iphone app to measure DBs. I lowered the decibels about 15 to 20.
- Two Patriot Exhaust H3844 Side Tube Muffler Insert as seen in picture.
- Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening
- Installation of 12-15 pounds of mat took 5 hours. Pictures show I disassembled the back of car and removed the third row to install the mat.
- SHOCKING. The 2019 has a lot more sound insulation compared to previous years. When you disassemble the car the 2019 was still a TIN can. Almost no insulation near the exhaust area.
- I installed the mat everywhere where bare metal was exposed. This helped reduce the residence and vibration about 10 DB.
- The second change was to insert the muffler inserts in both of the tips. They were a perfect fit. I used some steel wool to make a friction tight fit. This really helped the cold start noise.
- I achieved a decent sound level and look after these two mods.

Torque\HP Charts:

- The first charts show four pulls with the three mods (Weather 50 degrees, Exhaust, Intake and Inlet Tube).
- I have tuned over ten cars over the last 20 years. I consider this a hobby.
- Results:
- Car has a slight seat of the pants increase in acceleration. Highway speeds also feel a faster reaction when you accelerate hard.
- Facts:
- DYNO numbers almost show limited gains to factory numbers. I only run super 93 octane.
- Calculating a 17% loss the horsepower would be 212/.83 = 255 HP
- Calculating a 17% loss to torque would be 277/.83 = 334 LBS
- Analysis:
- Torque has biggest gain because CPU dumps all the boost when you get to 6000 RPM. So at 3500 or in sports mode you hit the torque sweet spot.
- Horsepower is limited around 4000 RPMs and the CPU just dumps boost like a freight train. ONLY a cpu tune can help.
- Summary:
- If you install all three mods you will enjoy about a 10 percent gain in a usable torque range. Horsepower is a meaningless gain.

Tuning OrangeVirus:

- I spent over a one year period, $745 and over 60 hours of my labor with OrangeVirus. I used my 2017 CX9 signature as test vehicle for a CPU tune.
- I installed over 12 different maps and ran multiple test runs. I supplied output of each run to OrangeVirus so they can analyze the engine levels.
- The communication was very difficult over the the 12+ months. They never shared what the changes were in each new map. So after 18 months of work I had a tune but no information on what OrangeVirus was modified.
- In 2019, I changed to 2019 CX9 GT and have been trying for 6 months to get the tune moved from the 2017 to the 2019.
- OrangeVirus agreed to move the tune for an additional $150. They took my PayPal payment but up to now OrangeVirus has FAILED to help me get the tune on the 2019.
- It is VERY difficult to get a response from them. Even after I gave them over a year of testing their product.

THE LAST IMAGE is from OrangeVirus new claim they can tune a 2.5 turbo engine. YES the torque is 25% less than factory? WTF? The horsepower shows 225 so its 5% higher than stock.

ORANGEVIRUS answer my emails after taking my money!!!!

Thanks for the detailed feedback. That's also eye-opening about OrangeVirus, I was planning to go with them once I was ready for a tune, but after hearing about your experience, I'm not so sure anymore. I assume you've been dealing with OV Philippines for the tune? I'd be blasting them with messages on FB, IG, and their support email.

Cork Sports Cat Back Facts

- It is a beautiful piece of engineering design, materials and perfect fit.
- The shipping and packing was first class.
- The support from CortSport's team was prompt and professional.
- The tips looks great on the back of the CX9.
- The CorkSport exhaust is tuned too loud for my liking. Cold start was even more unbearable due to Mazda post start revving the engine to 1500 RPMs for 20 seconds.
- I currently have three other modded\tuned cars. The CX9 with the exhaust was louder than my Audi S8 with 723HP/Downpipes.
- So I did not want to get rid of the free flowing design because I am working with OrangeVirus on tuning the 2.5T. Stay tuned OrangeVirus is currently failing in this request.
- In the pictures you can see , I also used the CorkSport intake and inlet tube all at the same time.

Solution to making the CorkSport more inline with my tastes.
- Using a iphone app to measure DBs. I lowered the decibels about 15 to 20.
- Two Patriot Exhaust H3844 Side Tube Muffler Insert as seen in picture.
- Noico 80 mil 36 sqft car Sound deadening mat, Butyl Automotive Sound Deadener, Audio Noise Insulation and dampening
- Installation of 12-15 pounds of mat took 5 hours. Pictures show I disassembled the back of car and removed the third row to install the mat.
- SHOCKING. The 2019 has a lot more sound insulation compared to previous years. When you disassemble the car the 2019 was still a TIN can. Almost no insulation near the exhaust area.
- I installed the mat everywhere where bare metal was exposed. This helped reduce the residence and vibration about 10 DB.
- The second change was to insert the muffler inserts in both of the tips. They were a perfect fit. I used some steel wool to make a friction tight fit. This really helped the cold start noise.
- I achieved a decent sound level and look after these two mods.

Torque\HP Charts:

- The first charts show four pulls with the three mods (Weather 50 degrees, Exhaust, Intake and Inlet Tube).
- I have tuned over ten cars over the last 20 years. I consider this a hobby.
- Results:
- Car has a slight seat of the pants increase in acceleration. Highway speeds also feel a faster reaction when you accelerate hard.
- Facts:
- DYNO numbers almost show limited gains to factory numbers. I only run super 93 octane.
- Calculating a 17% loss the horsepower would be 212/.83 = 255 HP
- Calculating a 17% loss to torque would be 277/.83 = 334 LBS
- Analysis:
- Torque has biggest gain because CPU dumps all the boost when you get to 6000 RPM. So at 3500 or in sports mode you hit the torque sweet spot.
- Horsepower is limited around 4000 RPMs and the CPU just dumps boost like a freight train. ONLY a cpu tune can help.
- Summary:
- If you install all three mods you will enjoy about a 10 percent gain in a usable torque range. Horsepower is a meaningless gain.

Tuning OrangeVirus:

- I spent over a one year period, $745 and over 60 hours of my labor with OrangeVirus. I used my 2017 CX9 signature as test vehicle for a CPU tune.
- I installed over 12 different maps and ran multiple test runs. I supplied output of each run to OrangeVirus so they can analyze the engine levels.
- The communication was very difficult over the the 12+ months. They never shared what the changes were in each new map. So after 18 months of work I had a tune but no information on what OrangeVirus was modified.
- In 2019, I changed to 2019 CX9 GT and have been trying for 6 months to get the tune moved from the 2017 to the 2019.
- OrangeVirus agreed to move the tune for an additional $150. They took my PayPal payment but up to now OrangeVirus has FAILED to help me get the tune on the 2019.
- It is VERY difficult to get a response from them. Even after I gave them over a year of testing their product.

THE LAST IMAGE is from OrangeVirus new claim they can tune a 2.5 turbo engine. YES the torque is 25% less than factory? WTF? The horsepower shows 225 so its 5% higher than stock.

ORANGEVIRUS answer my emails after taking my money!!!!

In retrospect, it's not surprising that the mechanical mods you made didn't result in big power/torque gains. It appears that the ECU has enough authority to reduce the boost levels back down to near stock levels even with the changes you made. Subaru ECU's are like this too - you get a few dyno pulls where the power output goes up after swapping in new parts, then the ECU figures it out and the power drops back to near stock levels. Somebody needs to crack the ECU to reprogram the boost and timing curves. Now that this engine is in the 6 and the CX-5, there should be more incentive for tuners will get to work...

Do you have any dyno plots from your 2017 with the OrangeVirus tunes? The picture you supplied doesn't look like a plot from the same engine at all. In fact, it looks like a plot from a non-direct-injected engine, as the torque comes on way later and peaks at a much lower value.

Picture Mod11

In retrospect, it's not surprising that the mechanical mods you made didn't result in big power/torque gains. It appears that the ECU has enough authority to reduce the boost levels back down to near stock levels even with the changes you made. Subaru ECU's are like this too - you get a few dyno pulls where the power output goes up after swapping in new parts, then the ECU figures it out and the power drops back to near stock levels. Somebody needs to crack the ECU to reprogram the boost and timing curves. Now that this engine is in the 6 and the CX-5, there should be more incentive for tuners will get to work...

Do you have any dyno plots from your 2017 with the OrangeVirus tunes? The picture you supplied doesn't look like a plot from the same engine at all. In fact, it looks like a plot from a non-direct-injected engine, as the torque comes on way later and peaks at a much lower value.

Picture mod11 shows the hp and torque curves from four pulls on the 2019 with the three Corksport mods. The torque is higher than stock due to the enhanced free flowing intake and exhaust.

Both curves start dropping at 3500 rpm due to the stock tune, so horsepower does not get any benefit. No I never dyno-Ed my 2017 with the OV tune. I just have logging of the the boost pressure and other levels with each Ecu update.

The other big issue is still torque steer {less in the 2019s} and engagement of rear. The CX9 is 97% front biased. We would need a cpu tune and a transmission tune , make it more rear biased.

What hardware/software combo was used for tuning? As far as I'm aware, Dimsport MyGenius is the only device that's available for our ECUs. I know OV has been using MazdaEdit through Openport 2.0 with Mazdas.
I do have MazdaEdit Personal for self tuning my Mazda 5.

Were you able to get any further with OV, 2017CX9?

Back