'16 CX-5 sport battery

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
So I went to Walmart last week and got my original battery on my cx-5 sport replaced with an Interstate 35-3 battery I bought from Costco. I opened up the hood today to find out that they did not put the heat shield back while installing the new battery.

I called the store and they said maybe the shield didn't fit around the new Interstate battery. In any case the manager said to bring in a new battery heat shield and they will re-imburse me and install it.

Is this heat shield needed around the new battery? Anyone installed the Costco Interstate battery 35-3 with the heat shield on?

You bought a new battery at Walmart and then had it installed at Costco and didn't bother to check the work immediately after they were done?

Sorry but I had to be in the office for an important meeting. I hope you can trust service places to do the work properly.

I hope you can trust service places to do the work properly.

I have some nice waterfront property for sale down your way.....

You would hope, but often be disappointed.

So I went to Walmart last week and got my original battery on my cx-5 sport replaced with an Interstate 35-3 battery I bought from Costco. I opened up the hood today to find out that they did not put the heat shield back while installing the new battery.

I called the store and they said maybe the shield didn't fit around the new Interstate battery. In any case the manager said to bring in a new battery heat shield and they will re-imburse me and install it.

Is this heat shield needed around the new battery? Anyone installed the Costco Interstate battery 35-3 with the heat shield on?

These guys sure are quick with the colorful commentary.

I don't think the heat shield is an absolute necessity, but it doesn't hurt anything to keep it on. If it were me, I would get a new battery shield from the dealer and get Costco to reimburse the cost and install it.

Sounds to me like he got a Costco battery and got Walmart to install it, not the other way 'round.

Oddly enough we also got a Costco battery last year for our 2014. But I installed it myself, because it's just a battery. Easy peasy. But then again no one else works on my cars but me. :)

If it were me, I would get a new battery shield from the dealer and get Costco to reimburse the cost and install it.

Yes he said that is what he is going to do in his first post except walmart is going to reimburse him since they installed the battery, the battery was purchased at Costco but he had walmart install it...

These guys sure are quick with the colorful commentary.

I don't think the heat shield is an absolute necessity, but it doesn't hurt anything to keep it on. If it were me, I would get a new battery shield from the dealer and get Costco to reimburse the cost and install it.

They sure do! The Walmart manager told me to buy the heat shield and they will re-imburse me and also put it on the battery.

Sounds to me like he got a Costco battery and got Walmart to install it, not the other way 'round.

Oddly enough we also got a Costco battery last year for our 2014. But I installed it myself, because it's just a battery. Easy peasy. But then again no one else works on my cars but me. :)

So when you installed the Costco Interstate battery, did the heat shield fit on properly on the new battery? I assume you got the Group 35/Fitment 3 Interstate battery from Costco? How do you like the battery?

To answer your original question, the heat shield fits fine with the Costco Interstate group 35 battery. I put the same battery in my CX-5 to replace my 6 year old factory battery.

It's also super easy to replace yourself instead of numbnuts at Walmart. The only hard part was getting the old battery out since it didn't have a handle. And on the Interstate battery, the handle kind of gets in the way of the bar that latches the battery down, but you can work with it.

Last edited:
To answer your original question, the heat shield fits fine with the Costco Interstate group 35 battery. I put the same battery in my CX-5 to replace my 6 year old factory battery.

It's also super easy to replace yourself instead of numbnuts at Walmart. The only hard part was getting the old battery out since it didn't have a handle. And on the Interstate battery, the handle kind of gets in the way of the bar that latches the battery down, but you can work with it.

Good call on shopping for a battery with handles. I've got Sciata flaring up when I lift things from weird angles. Having handles helps give me leverage to lift with better posture/technique.

Good call on shopping for a battery with handles. I've got Sciata flaring up when I lift things from weird angles. Having handles helps give me leverage to lift with better posture/technique.

According to WebMD.com, Sciatica can be made worse by being overweight, not getting enough exercise, or sleeping on a mattress that is too hard or soft.

So I managed to get Walmart to put on a new replacement battery cover for the interstate battery. They also re-imbursed me for the cover they had originally not put on.. They did a battery check on the new interstate battery that I had bought from Costco & installed at Walmart, and they said the Interstate battery is bad.

Apparently according to their diagnosis its showing 402 CCA out of the 550 CCA its rated for. I just got the battery last week, how can it drop so much? It's in a 2016 CX-5 sport. I do live in hot and humid South Florida.

So I managed to get Walmart to put on a new replacement battery cover for the interstate battery. They also re-imbursed me for the cover they had originally not put on.. They did a battery check on the new interstate battery that I had bought from Costco & installed at Walmart, and they said the Interstate battery is bad.

Apparently according to their diagnosis its showing 402 CCA out of the 550 CCA its rated for. I just got the battery last week, how can it drop so much? It's in a 2016 CX-5 sport. I do live in hot and humid South Florida.

Visit theridebase to review more batteries that you maybe concern

CCA drops down not due to the climate, sometimes it drops due to driving habbits and battery is not fully charged. 550 CCA maybe is max CCA request for the best battery performance. Im not sure but you can check one more time about this issue.

Typical of what happens to me if I try to save $5 by splitting responsibilities. Now we have 3 problems and lots of wasted time and extra driving. Charge the battery fully at home with a taper charger and have it load tested. Ed

Back