'16 CX-5 sport battery

:
2016 Mazda CX-5 Sport
So I went to Walmart last week and got my original battery on my cx-5 sport replaced with an Interstate 35-3 battery I bought from Costco. I opened up the hood today to find out that they did not put the heat shield back while installing the new battery.

I called the store and they said maybe the shield didn't fit around the new Interstate battery. In any case the manager said to bring in a new battery heat shield and they will re-imburse me and install it.

Is this heat shield needed around the new battery? Anyone installed the Costco Interstate battery with the heat shield on?

You are talking about this? I wouldn't say it's absolutely necessary, but I would want it put back on if it was me. It helps reduce engine/exhaust heat from the battery and not having it could shorten the battery life. Group 35 is the right battery, so they just forgot to put it back on, which is hard to believe from Walmart.
Replacement is $20-$30 https://www.mazdapartswebstore.com/oem-parts/mazda-battery-cover-pe011859xa?c=az0x

Mazda-CX-5-12V-Automotive-Battery-Replacement-Guide-020.JPG

Yes that is the part they forgot to put back. So, I will get it from the Mazda dealer this week and walmart told me they would re-imburse me and put the part back on.

I'm confused. You bought a new batter from COSTCO but went to WM to have it changed? All model 35 battery's are not exactly the same dimensions so maybe it didn't fit properly. Ed

I'm confused. You bought a new batter from COSTCO but went to WM to have it changed? All model 35 battery's are not exactly the same dimensions so maybe it didn't fit properly. Ed

Costco does not install batteries. They just sell them.. It's up to you to install it yourself or find a place that does installations, such as Walmart.

If for some reason they could not put the sleeve on they should have told me and given me the sleeve instead of discarding it. I suspect the guy who installed it thought it wasn't very important and just left it aside or just forgot to put it back on the new battery.

Shoddy work to not put that back. On my old car I had a skid plate and a hatch for the oil filter access. I always took the entire skid plate off to change my oil. I had the dealer change my oil once and they removed the oil access plate and left it off. I didn't know until I change my oil the next time. I got so angry. I made one out of sheet metal that fit good and worked good.

I can confirm, because I changed my own battery out with a Group 35 Costco interstate battery last year, that the OE heat shield that goes around the OE size battery does not fit around the group 35 battery. I threw my shield away. No worries.

I can confirm, because I changed my own battery out with a Group 35 Costco interstate battery last year, that the OE heat shield that goes around the OE size battery does not fit around the group 35 battery. I threw my shield away. No worries.

I bought the OE heat shield from the dealer and took it to Walmart. They were able to install it around the Costco Interstate group 35 battery.

Shouldn't all group 35 batteries be the same size? I thought that was the only point of the group sizes.

So I went to Walmart last week and got my original battery on my cx-5 sport replaced with an Interstate 35-3 battery I bought from Costco. I opened up the hood today to find out that they did not put the heat shield back while installing the new battery.

I called the store and they said maybe the shield didn't fit around the new Interstate battery. In any case the manager said to bring in a new battery heat shield and they will re-imburse me and install it.

Is this heat shield needed around the new battery? Anyone installed the Costco Interstate battery with the heat shield on?

Heat shield needed around the battery to prevent damage battery cell overheating the entire battery module. However, you should check the heat shield and battery size if they fix together or not before install. More battery modules on Autofthings.

The battery and heat shield are the same size, you can install it. Hope you can solve this problem.

I got my tires rotated once at Walmart. I got home and looked at the tread depth on the tires. They put the left wheels on the right and vice versa. No front to back *facepalm*. That was the end of the Walmart experiment for me.

Back