2019 CX-5 2.5T Oil Change - Is crush washer still used on the drain plug?

:
ss
I'm preparing for my CX-5's first oil change. The first surprise if that 5W-30 is the new recommended viscosity for the 2.5T vs 0W-20 on non turbo models.

Are crush washers still used on the drain plugs for 2.5T models and are they the same spec. as previous models. I can't seem to find anything online except for the older CX-5 models.

It*s a fibre washer. You need an 8mm hex key to undo the plug.

Before buying the hex drive, look at your drain plug. I don't have a turbo but mine has a hex bolt that takes a regular socket. The crush washer is aluminum. I can't imagine Mazda using a different drain plug and crush washer just because there is a turbo on the motor.

I think it is a flat aluminum washer which is NOT a crush washer. Did MAZDA change the Allen head drain plug which I like for a std bolt? Ed

It*s a fibre washer. You need an 8mm hex key to undo the plug.

On the 2.5T engine, the washer is a flat aluminum washer, and the drain plug is a hex bolt (don't remember the size). I believe they switched to the hex bolt in 2017 or 2018. The dealership I buy my OEM filters from includes the washers for free, but the parts guy told me they usually run $1 ea (CAD).

Before my first oil change I went and bought an 8 MM hex and then was surprised to find it uses the same 17 MM socket as my old 3.
When I bought a few oil filters from the dealer they were nice enough to tape a new crush washer to each box.

I think it is a flat aluminum washer which is NOT a crush washer. Did MAZDA change the Allen head drain plug which I like for a std bolt? Ed

This is correct. Its a flat aluminum friction washer.

As for the drain plug Im not aware of any change.

This is correct. Its a flat aluminum friction washer.

As for the drain plug Im not aware of any change.

While it might not look like other crush washers youve seen it is technically a crush washer intending only to be used once after torquing. Being a softer metal it conforms and crushes when torqued.

Before my first oil change I went and bought an 8 MM hex and then was surprised to find it uses the same 17 MM socket as my old 3.
When I bought a few oil filters from the dealer they were nice enough to tape a new crush washer to each box.

Same. I bought the 8MM hex driver after reading the board only to find a hex bolt. I kept the driver because I got it cheap.

While it might not look like other crush washers you*ve seen it is technically a crush washer intending only to be used once after torquing. Being a softer metal it conforms and *crushes* when torqued.

This. It is soft aluminum and crushes. Can only use it once.

This. It is soft aluminum and crushes. Can only use it once.

I always wondered if you could just flip the old washer over and reuse it, but for the price of the washer (free), what's the point? lol

Back