Turning it Off

:
Mazda CX 5 Touring
I just bought a 2019 GT and have now realized that there's no way to turn the radio off. Unless I'm missing something you can mute it or turn the volume down. Someone let me know if I'm wrong.

yeah, that had me puzzled for a hour too......... trying to turn the radio off !
Finally called the dealer and they said just mute or turn the volume to zero.....

Also noticed you can't turn the vents off ??? even though I have them 'off' or zero
I can still feel a slight breeze coming through the front vents......... when the selector
is set to blow air on me.......... anyone else notice or feel this ????
or just me...

yeah, that had me puzzled for a hour too......... trying to turn the radio off !
Finally called the dealer and they said just mute or turn the volume to zero.....

Also noticed you can't turn the vents off ??? even though I have them 'off' or zero
I can still feel a slight breeze coming through the front vents......... when the selector
or just me...

My 17 does this, too, but just on the outside vents. Because, sadly, the center vents have no manual flow control.

My 17 does this, too, but just on the outside vents. Because, sadly, the center vents have no manual flow control.

Strange as on the European versions the centre vents have manual flow control and can be shut off.

Regarding volume control, yes it mutes and that's it. So if your'e playing a CD or music from a USB stick, it carries on playing which is crazy.

Regarding volume control, yes it mutes and that's it. So if your'e playing a CD or music from a USB stick, it carries on playing which is crazy.

Yes, this is one of my top 3 complaints about the car.

Great car when this is the biggest problem. I wish there were a pause/play button more than power. That would suffice for the CD or USB Stick. In my case its audiobooks. It's maddening when I need it to be silent immediately, but don't want to lose my place and have to hunt for it.

It's somewhat better with Android Auto, a couple of predictable clicks.

I wish they'd repurpose the phone hang up button on the steerig wheel to be also "play/pause" since it wouldn't conflict with its function.

I don*t have an issue with this radio thing. If you think about a normal bog standard radio, all you do is turn the volume down until it clicks then yes, a combined power button kills the power BUT on a multi media system it needs to boot each time. So! If you are navigating around your music you can only have one on at once and if you select the IPod (nearly said CD - sorry) then the radio obviously goes off. If you don*t want any music at all you press the mute button. Doesn*t it make sense to have it there in the background. It*s not that you turn it off, it*s that you*ve made a different choice. I think Mazda have thought very carefully about it and have taken the most obvious solution.

Yes, this is one of my top 3 complaints about the car.

Great car when this is the biggest problem. I wish there were a pause/play button more than power. That would suffice for the CD or USB Stick. In my case its audiobooks. It's maddening when I need it to be silent immediately, but don't want to lose my place and have to hunt for it.

It's somewhat better with Android Auto, a couple of predictable clicks.

I wish they'd repurpose the phone hang up button on the steerig wheel to be also "play/pause" since it wouldn't conflict with its function.

You can pause if you reveal the buttons under the screen. You do it with the command button.

make a screen blocker. take some paper and make a loose tracing of the size of the screen.

get the dimensions as close as you can, then transfer said template to a piece of (black) cardboard, foam board, or something more substantial than paper. You might have to color it to get the desired color. Or cover it with stickers!

put one velcro dot in a corner of the screen not used for much and of course the other half on the corresponding part of the cover piece....just enough velcro to hold the cover in place, but not too much to make it hard to remove.

now you can enjoy glare free night driving w/o too much residual light sources in the cabin.

* I wonder if there is a market for such a thing. I might have to patent it and start selling it on my own. Now I just need to get a 3D printer and I'm in business....

(thought)

I wish there were a pause/play button more than power. That would suffice for the CD or USB Stick. In my case its audiobooks. It's maddening when I need it to be silent immediately, but don't want to lose my place and have to hunt for it.

I verified that in my 2019, the mute button does pause the USB stick. Releasing mute picks up right where it left off. I don't have a CD player. Does yours keep playing silently? Mine is on version 70.00.335 NA N if that makes a difference.

Last edited:

or just me...

I'm confused. I realize the newer CX-5's have different climate controls, but do Gen 2's no longer have these selectors?:

2Awlndq.png

If the top one (outside air) was selected, you could always feel air still come through even when the vents are set to 0. But when set to the bottom button (re-circulation), that stops.

I'm confused. I realize the newer CX-5's have different climate controls, but do Gen 2's no longer have these selectors?:

If the top one (outside air) was selected, you could always feel air still come through even when the vents are set to 0. But when set to the bottom button (re-circulation), that stops.

Sure, they've got recirc. But we're talking about when the airflow is set to fresh, or when the fan is on.

Not a big issue for me, but it is noticeable.

Yeah I am talking about the same thing. If the fan is off and you feel air coming through, you need to switch it to recirc and then you won't feel that air come through anymore when the fan is off.

or just me...

The vent always being on has always annoyed me. Especially here in TX. I'll have the windows open and hot air is funneling through.

Back