Air vent reflection in driver's side mirror (2019 CX-5)

fatman

:
Mazda, CX 5 2019 GT
Hello All,

I recently got a 2019 CX-5 GT. Love the car so far, but 1 issue really annoys me. Driver's side air vent reflects in driver's side mirror. Passenger side is fine. Took the car to the dealer and they said it is designed that way.
I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I previously owned a 2016 CX 5 with the same problem, but it was fixed due to a TSB.

Appreciate your input.

I had a 16 with the bright vents that reflected in the mirror. I could have had black ones under the TSB but I think the bright ones look classy. Bear with me, I*m not taking the ****. If you look in the mirror at what*s behind you, you don*t see the reflection. Once your eyes and mind home in on the reflection you see it every time but you can learn to *see past it*. Honestly!

Hello All,

I recently got a 2019 CX 5 GT. Love the car so far, but 1 issue really annoys me. Driver's side air vent reflects in driver's side mirror. Passenger side is fine. Took the car to the dealer and they said it is designed that way.
I was wondering if anyone else has the same issue. I previously owned a 2016 CX 5 with the same problem, but it was fixed due to a TSB.
Appreciate your input.
Yeah when I was checking gen-2 CX-5 when it was just came out in 2017, I was very surprised to see the reflection of the air vent on the side window, AGAIN! I don't know what was Mazda thinking when they redesign the air vents and windows, especially Mazda did issue a TSB about this issue for gen-1 CX-5, meaning they should fully aware this problem.

For gen-1 CX-5 you can get different vents with black edge based on the TSB which will reflect less. But for gen-2 CX-5, there's not much you can do but just get used to it. Or use Anchorman's suggestion trying to look in the mirror at what's behind you, and practice.

I had a 16 with the bright vents that reflected in the mirror. I could have had black ones under the TSB but I think the bright ones look classy. Bear with me, I*m not taking the ****. If you look in the mirror at what*s behind you, you don*t see the reflection. Once your eyes and mind home in on the reflection you see it every time but you can learn to *see past it*. Honestly!

Guess i will have to live with it.

I contacted Mazda USA yesterday and they came back today saying that the vehicle is designed this way and there is nothing they can do about it.
The funny thing is that when i test drove various trims (GT, GT-R) i did not see the reflection. The tech at the dealer's also took at look at few other CX 5s and confirmed they had no reflections. So Mazda's "designed this way" is a b/s to say the least

Hello All,

I recently got a 2019 CX 5 GT. Love the car so far, but 1 issue really annoys me. Driver's side air vent reflects in driver's side mirror. Passenger side is fine. Took the car to the dealer and they said it is designed that way.
Appreciate your input.

After a couple weeks you won't even notice it anymore. There was a big rant storm here about 3 years ago regarding the reflecting vent and then it all went away. Mazda was swapping the covers out for black ones for any new owners who complained.

OP, if you're open to it, I'd suggest trying to adjust your mirrors as shown in Fig 1 and Fig 4 below. Maybe the different angles will eliminate the reflection (apologies if it doesn't, I can't see the image you posted so this is just guesswork on my part).

cleanup-blindspots-photo-519796-s-original.jpg

I switched to these positions when I got my CX-9 over a year ago and I've found it to be really beneficial.

I've never noticed this problem , so went down to cx5, sat in vehicle and , low
and behold, I see it !!!

Now , I'll probably always see it reflecting in the mirror ! (eek2)

It is very prominent in my 2017. Given the attention it got in the previous generation, I'm surprised it hasn't mentioned here before. I've wondered about the location of the mirror further back on the door rather than at the front corner is a factor--I've never noticed it in previous cars I have owned.

just roll down the window! The reflection is actually from the window rather than the mirror. Don't know what will fix it but I might look into some sort of window film.

I must admit I noticed the reflection a lot on the test drives we took but now we own the car I just look though it although I do think it*s a bit of a design flaw...a less shiny trim would solve the issue. Mind you it*s about the only niggle I*ve found so I*m not too stressed by it!

Some people have used black tape on the vent housing, others have plasti-dipped the hosing with good results. Apparently the vent housing is easy to remove.
Some people just ignore it (like me).

After a couple weeks you won't even notice it anymore. There was a big rant storm here about 3 years ago regarding the reflecting vent and then it all went away. Mazda was swapping the covers out for black ones for any new owners who complained.
Omg I remember that. Some dude just going off about how dangerous it is and how it is going to cause accidents and omg.... Dude was unhinged about it.

Back