Wife got T-Boned - Wrote off CX-5

She's quite effed up actually. Fractured collar bone, fractured wrist, whiplash, severe concussion, bruised ribs, loss of hearing in her left ear, off for a month. Starts physio therapy on Monday.

She has a long road ahead of her. Best wishes to her and the family.

My Mazda 3 was written off in 2016 with a bad rear-ender. I was the first car to get it, was pushed into guy in front, and both of us push into the next guy. Us all stopped.

My recovery was stressful and took much longer than even I could've anticipated. I'm still not certain I'm all the way there and my issues were mainly whiplash and psychological.

Primary concern is her recovery for now. The car issues will sort itself out over time.

Turns out they want to fix it now. It's at the body shop for a preliminary estimate, then they'll send that off to insurance, then they'll decide if they want to write it off. Ugh. Nothing like an accidented vehicle....

Two doors, a rear wheel arch, rear sill, airbags, various trim, a b pillar if it*s bent, a lot of paint that*s an arse to match and that doesn*t include jigging it if it*s twisted. I wouldn*t want it back.

I came before seat belts. I was also in a wagon that got hit. I was way in the back but ended up in the front seat. Different times for sure.

I hope your wife recovers fully. The CX5 did its job.

20 years ago, my in-laws owned a station wagon. They werent hit, but had to stop suddenly and my 10 year old brother-n-law who was in the back ended up in the front seat. Even after that, they didnt insist that the kid had to buckle up.

I remember a time before seat belts were mandatory in the UK. I would have been about 4 or 5 in the mid 1960's in an old Ford car from the 1950's. We were returning from hospital where I'd had a check up for something or other. My mother was holding me on her knee on the back seat. My father had to brake suddenly and I distinctly remember flying through the air headfirst onto the metal dashboard where it turned out I'd gashed my forehead just above my left eye socket. I also remember a hot liquid pouring down my face which of course was blood. We immediately turned round back to hospital where I had stitches (and no anaesthetic because it bloody hurt). Any lower and I would have lost an eye. There's no evidence now as the older I got my eyebrow hid the scar. I presume my parents changed the car for one with seatbelts although there was no such thing as child seats back then. I was never carried in the back of the car again.

Two doors, a rear wheel arch, rear sill, airbags, various trim, a b pillar if it*s bent, a lot of paint that*s an arse to match and that doesn*t include jigging it if it*s twisted. I wouldn*t want it back.

Yeah, not much you can do in Cuckistan when it comes to insurance companies. Unless the total damage is more than 36K, they won't write it off. The current bill is 17339.99

I remember a time before seat belts were mandatory in the UK. I would have been about 4 or 5 in the mid 1960's in an old Ford car from the 1950's. We were returning from hospital where I'd had a check up for something or other. My mother was holding me on her knee on the back seat. My father had to brake suddenly and I distinctly remember flying through the air headfirst onto the metal dashboard where it turned out I'd gashed my forehead just above my left eye socket. I also remember a hot liquid pouring down my face which of course was blood. We immediately turned round back to hospital where I had stitches (and no anaesthetic because it bloody hurt). Any lower and I would have lost an eye. There's no evidence now as the older I got my eyebrow hid the scar. I presume my parents changed the car for one with seatbelts although there was no such thing as child seats back then. I was never carried in the back of the car again.

We all used to ride in the back of the car and it was full of lethal missiles like spare starters and dynamos etc. Cars didn*t have front seat belts let alone rear ones or child seats. My dad used to drive home every night from the pub with a proper skinfull of ale too. These days, people are more aware but I often see kids wandering around in the back and parents smoking which is also illegal now.

Ive always thought that seemed kinda questionable. But even if they did would you actually get all the kids to use them? [emoji2371]

"Today, the United States government, through the National Highway Traffic Safety Administration (NHTSA), does not require seat belts on school buses weighing over 10,000 pounds. Federal law does require seat belts on lighter buses, but the seat belt decision for larger buses is left to the states. To date, only six states (California, Florida, Louisiana, New Jersey, New York, and Texas) require seat belts on school buses, and some of those states only require them on newer buses.

Why wouldn't the federal government require school buses to have seat belts? The simple answer is that they don't need them. In a cost/benefit analysis, the cost of adding seat belts to school buses outweighs any potential benefits, according to NHTSA studies.

Modern school buses are large and heavy, and their passengers sit high off the ground. This means they are remarkably safe. Each year, over 400,000 public school buses carry almost 25 million children more than 4 billion miles. Yet, fewer than 10 children die each year in school bus accidents, and studies show that seat belts would not have prevented most of those deaths."

Welp, apparently we get the CX-5 back today or tomorrow. I'll share pictures. Been well over a month now.

Well, we got the truck back and it rides very nice. We went on 2 very long road trips and there are no squeaks, rattles or other annoying things with the vehicle. All electronics seem to be working well. The ONLY thing seems to be a very slight shudder when almost coming to a complete stop. Not sure what this might be. If it continues, I will take it back to the body shop.

Back