Wife got T-Boned - Wrote off CX-5

... It's very understandable that if some of them put more emphasis to material than human life because they have seen too many death.

Maybe I'm not understanding you, but it seems that would make them value life MORE.

I don't know anyone who values material things more than life.

To answer everyone questions...

Yes it was her primary vehicle.
Yes I have the new car replacement insurance. No I do not know when this ends or if it's pro-rated. I'm in Ontario so I'm not sure how it works, I will let you all know.
She's quite effed up actually. Fractured collar bone, fractured wrist, whiplash, severe concussion, bruised ribs, loss of hearing in her left ear, off for a month. Starts physio therapy on Monday.

Yea thats why I dont understand my in laws attachment to their 96 Camry. I just tell them you better hope youre never in a wreck I that thing.

Wishing her a speedy and full recovery. Hopefully nothing permanent that time won*t heal. As for the car, it sucks having to deal with a replacement (both time and money) when you didn*t plan on it. Sending good thoughts your way....

Wishing her a speedy and full recovery. Hopefully nothing permanent that time won*t heal. As for the car, it sucks having to deal with a replacement (both time and money) when you didn*t plan on it. Sending good thoughts your way....

Thanks Breh!

oh I'm so sorry to hear that clownshoes.
I hope your wife has a quick and smooth recovery from her injuries.

She's quite effed up actually. Fractured collar bone, fractured wrist, whiplash, severe concussion, bruised ribs, loss of hearing in her left ear, off for a month. Starts physio therapy on Monday.

Sorry to hear about that, I guess I just assumed she was ok, hoping for the best. Hopefully she's back to 100% again soon.

Sorry to hear about your wife's injuries. At almost 40mph that is a bad accident.

I almost got hit in a parking lot today. I was driving down the row and a car didn't look and just backed out of his parking spot. The left lane was clear so I veered to the left and we missed. I hit the horn too, but I was just about passed when I hit the horn.

Another reason why cars are totaled easily these days is because labor and parts are so expensive.

So sorry to hear. That's much worse than the damage to the car. Hope she heals well.

Not sure how the insurance company would handle this in Canada, but in US this CX-5 will get purchased fast by someone in auction, as the damage like this can easily be "fixed" by a body shop and resell it with a salvage title.

My cousin did this all the time (with full disclosure), and even kept a few for himself over the years. Ran flawlessly minus normal issues for the make/model. Would I buy one? No. But it did work, and for people on a mad budget...

It*s not quite how I would describe T Boned but I don't for one second trivialise the seriousness of her injuries. It looks like it got hooked up on the front of the other car and if it*s bent the door and deployed the curtain airbag it*s bent the car too - that won*t be getting fixed. Over here you can buy a policy to cover the difference in the market value (what the insurance company pay) and the replacement of the car. I used to think it unlikely that a car of this value would get written off but they are designed to deform and absorb energy these days. Humans don*t suffer side impact very well although the car has done what it can to lessen the effect. I hope she makes a quick and full recovery.

^^Admittedly agreed honestly saw the damage and basically dismissed this thread but clearly as a total this was a more serious hit than appeared and wish you and your wife the best.

Apparently this is what the car is supposed to do. If your vehicle folds in on itself and gets all torn apart, that's not a good car. Cars that stay together is what you want. As someone previously stated, the energy is supposed to be absorbed and transferred to lessen the damage.

Not sure how old are you, but I find this post is full of prejudice against "older people"!

Do you really believe an accident like this someone would get "totaled"???

"Older people" many grew up in the tougher environment, some even barely to have enough food to eat when they were young. Some had seen friends and family starving to death, or got killed in the civil war, or even in the Vietnam War. It's very understandable that if some of them put more emphasis to material than human life because they have seen too many death.

You don't have to be an 'older person' to have grown up in the environment you described above. Many people are dealing with this RIGHT NOW.

Sorry, but your last sentence above is ridiculous. After reading many of your posts I'm fairly certain that you didn't really mean that as it sounds, right? No one in their right mind, 'older' or not, would place material possessions ahead of their lives.

Right? I see people, generally older people, say this all the time. "Remember the good old days when you'd get in an accident and the car wouldn't be totaled???"
Yea... the people would be totaled... but the cars were OK. (hand)

Good point....I also don't recall my dad every telling me put my seat belt on. Well unless we're about to get pulled over by cops. Had a large Pontiac Lemans coupe.

I came before seat belts. I was also in a wagon that got hit. I was way in the back but ended up in the front seat. Different times for sure.

I hope your wife recovers fully. The CX5 did its job.

Yea, Yrwie, you totally misunderstood me.
My mother was in a horrific car accident with her old big ass Ford Ltd. Although looking at the car you wouldn't suspect it was bad at all. It was barely ******* scratched. My mother? I didn't think she was going to make it.

Cars today crumple to save lives. Older folks that had those cars see a car today get totalled in a 20 mph accident and think it's a pos compared to that old Ltd that would never die. Although it's not just older people. They are just the ones that had those indestructible cars.
I saw a post on Reddit recently where a young lady was venting that her car was totalled in a "minor" accident. Meanwhile, she was unscathed.
She was unscathed!

Those of us that understand crash dynamics know that crumple zones save lives.

Last edited:
Back