average coolant temperature on cx5

:
2019 Cx-5 sport
I have about 430 miles on my 2019 2.5 liter cx5 and
since were starting to get to warmer weather I was wondering something...

If I start my cx5 cold and drive it about 3 miles with outside temp around 70- 80
the coolant temperature guage is almost touching the 210 degree f.. mark............

Is this normal ?? Seems kind of high........ and driving it under 40mph , during that
3 miles....

thanks for any replies........

I'd verify that with OBD I I scanner. At that temperature both radiator fans would go crazy, and you'd hear that. Our '15 2.5L never goes over 200F, according to Forscan. I always thought that this engine runs really cool.

Normal. Most vehicles are set to run a thermostat in the 180-220 range with a majority holding operating temperature at 212.

Last edited:
For the best fuel economy you want to reach operating temperature as soon as possible.
Remember the coolant is under pressure so does not boil at 212*F. Assuming 18 psi even plain water will not boil until about 222*F. Coolant mixed with water raises the boiling point further.

it keeps 200 to aprox 206 F.
210 F sometimes just before thermostat opens fully.
I havent seen more than 210.

Based on my research, i believe you would want it to go high as it would prevent carbon deposits into the intake valves.

ok, thanks for all the good info........ just went for a 5 mile drive and it
was at 206-208 degree mark, parked it and checked to see if the fans were running ..
But both were not spinning .......... strange ? normal ??

I might have to go for a longer drive to test .........

temp out side was about 75 degrees, nice out........

Its normal. The engine seems to easily maintain its internal temps at normal outside temps with less need for the fans vs other cars I've had.
I hear the fans usually at 100F and higher outside temps.

p.s.
The thingie about carbon built is not relevant. This is engine coolant temp we are talking here, not valve, pistona and intake temps.

Very normal. I get 212F daily driven but get 248F on the track after 4 laps of hard driving.

But take note, I'm from the Philippines where the weather is basically HOT.

went for a 10 mile test drive and coolant temp was still at 206-208 .. got home
parked the cx5 , opened the hood and fans were still not spinning .........

guess I'll go on a longer drive soon, plus summer is almost here , where it'll
be hot and humid ...........which should get the fans spinning ...........

The engine works at its most efficient when it is as close to melting as they can get it. They raise the boiling point of the coolant as high as they can until the incoming fuel is at risk of flashing. They block the inlet of the radiator with a shutter to speed up the heating process and then they confine the flow of coolant to the engine to stop it getting prematurely cooled in the radiator. When the coolant does eventually get to the radiator it then has quite a range before the cooling fan switch cuts in. The ram air effect when the car is moving is really effective.

I can assure you that the fans will work. They usually come on when crawling in traffic but if you just want to test if they work, put the AC on full.

thanks anchorman for the detailed reply.............

I'll give the ac on full a try soon........... and check to see if
fans spin up..........

Ok, just to update.......... went to dealer today for the C.D pcm fix and asked the mechanic about my cooling
fans not coming on........
He started cx5 and turned the ac on max and then said , I can hear it running ....... well I couldn't , and popped the
hood , and both were running ............

He said the fans can come on without ac on between 210 and 221 F.............

So, thanks for info on this thread............... one down........

Fans are multi speed but more silent than other cars.
On low speed its silent as a church mouse thus you couldnt hear it.

I have about 430 miles on my 2019 2.5 liter cx5 and
since were starting to get to warmer weather I was wondering something...

If I start my cx5 cold and drive it about 3 miles with outside temp around 70- 80
the coolant temperature guage is almost touching the 210 degree f.. mark............

Is this normal ?? Seems kind of high........ and driving it under 40mph , during that
3 miles....

thanks for any replies........

My Z06 ran about that. It had tons of coolers. My 370Z was similar. I'm willing to bet around 210 is just what's optimal.

Skyactiv is one very efficient high fuel pressure engine. Does not produce extensive extra heat as other engines.
It gets to optimal temp when thermostat opens and stays there even in hot conditions.

The highest I have seen for coolant sensor is 212F (from the computer obd) when outside temp was 117F (a/c on) and on an incline up on the highway.
Coolant and Oil temps were great on the engine but the gearbox oil temp went above 220F which was not fun.

Back