Liftgate area creaking noise

:
2014 Mazda CX-5
Hi folks,

Theres an annoying creaking noise coming from the liftgate area of my 2014 CX-5. It creaks when the road is bumpy or in bad shape. It sounds kind of like when you rub two pieces of styrofoam together.

I tried hopping in the back area with the liftgate closed and try and push on the gate and pannels etc... but couldnt get anything to move and reproduce the sound.

So before I go to a dealership, has anyone here ever had this kind of noise and found where its coming from exactly?

Thanks!

Hi folks,

There*s an annoying creaking noise coming from the liftgate area of my 2014 CX-5. It creaks when the road is bumpy or in bad shape. It sounds kind of like when you rub two pieces of styrofoam together.

I tried hopping in the back area with the liftgate closed and try and push on the gate and pannels etc... but couldn*t get anything to move and reproduce the sound.

So before I go to a dealership, has anyone here ever had this kind of noise and found where it*s coming from exactly?

Thanks!
Most common noise from that area is the loose bolts / nuts which are holding the rooftop spoiler.

I didn't have the noise but about 2 years ago, Mazda changes the bolts and struts on the trunk as part of a recall (I think it was due to potential rust issues) - if your vehicle is eligible you could try taking it in and if and see if that helps.

I have a similar noise up front when the car is idling roughly or rough road (usually when it is cool/cold out) and turns out it was the sun visor rubbing on the headliner. The weirdest things can make noise!

I didn't have the noise but about 2 years ago, Mazda changes the bolts and struts on the trunk as part of a recall (I think it was due to potential rust issues) - if your vehicle is eligible you could try taking it in and if and see if that helps.
A word of warning, don't get the liftgate struts recall done if you haven't done it yet. The replacement struts are a lot worse than original ones. Some start to make noise soon after the replacement. Worse, the strength to support the liftgate is weakened really fast. Some of them can't even support the liftgate after a year or two and need a new pair again!

A word of warning, don't get the liftgate struts recall done if you haven't done it yet. The replacement struts are a lot worse than original ones. Some start to make noise soon after the replacement. Worse, the strength to support the liftgate is weakened really fast. Some of them can't even support the liftgate after a year or two and need a new pair again!

Mine is still supported, but I agree, it's noticeably worse strength wise than when I first had the recall done. The liftgate also doesn't open as high as it did with the original struts. Had no problems with the original struts. Wish I had just left those on.

Hi folks,

There*s an annoying creaking noise coming from the liftgate area of my 2014 CX-5. It creaks when the road is bumpy or in bad shape. It sounds kind of like when you rub two pieces of styrofoam together.

I tried hopping in the back area with the liftgate closed and try and push on the gate and pannels etc... but couldn*t get anything to move and reproduce the sound.

So before I go to a dealership, has anyone here ever had this kind of noise and found where it*s coming from exactly?

Thanks!

You could try to clean the rubber bumpers [and the metal they contact] and the weatherstripping.

You could try to clean the rubber bumpers [and the metal they contact] and the weatherstripping.

I had to ride in the back of my mates RAV4 to investigate the exact same noise and it was just this. A slight rust build up on the door alignment reception. I cured it at the roadside with a couple of drops of engine oil from the dipstick then cleaned it up properly back at home.

Well it took a while but I*d like to say a big shout-out to yrwei52.

Went and checked the spoiler nuts... Turns out one was loose and one was missing. Went and bought a new one, tightened up the other one and voil... no more creaking noise!!!

Back