2017~2024 CX-5 turbo engine oil/filter change interval

Wix makes filters that meets skyactiv filter flow rate specs...for the2.0 and 2.5l NA engines. Not sure about turbo engines. A look up on the 2019 Mazda6 Turbo (same engine in CX-5 Turbo) )lists 2 filters. 51365XP and 51365.

@yrwei52 I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts. I have to agree that having a filter designed expressly for a specific engine is better than a one-size-fits-all generic solution. It is good to know that Mazda spent time engineering a filter only for the 2.5L T.

It's curious that they decided to lubricate the seal - thus requiring it to be shrink-wrapped. No, I don't recall ever seeing that in any of my 100's of oil changes. Nor have I thought it necessary - even with much more expensive cars. Whether that indicates quality (vs an added cost passed on the the consumer) isn't clear. I've always lubed my own filter ring w/engine oil. I doubt this "factory" lube is more effective.

I'll also note that in my 50 yrs of doing my own oil/filter changes I've never before had the thought that "boy...this filter is tiny! I hope they know what they're doing". In general I can't say that OEM parts are always better designed than after-market. If they were, that would destroy the whole after-market parts industry.

Last edited:
I just hit 8000km on my 2019 Signature, and I'm wondering if its time for me to take it in?

The Oil life monitor (lol, no way I'm going to trust it..) says I have about 7500km left until I need to take the car in.. Really? 15,500km without an oil change?

I typically took my Mazda 6 in every 8000km for an oil change..

Is it time now?

Thx

I just hit 8000km on my 2019 Signature, and I'm wondering if its time for me to take it in?

The Oil life monitor (lol, no way I'm going to trust it..) says I have about 7500km left until I need to take the car in.. Really? 15,500km without an oil change?

Is it time now?

Thx
Since you're using metric km, I assume you're from Canada. If the memory serves me correctly, Mazda Canada specs CX-5 with shorter and fixed OCI, and Flexible oil life monitor is disabled. In any event in US Flexible OCI has the maximum cap of 7,500 miles for 2019 (10,000 miles for 2016/2016.5 and 12 months) , in no way the system won't give you an "Oil change due" notice past that. You'll get one when your 2019 CX-5 is getting close to 12,000km / 7,500 miles if your Canadian CX-5 truly has oil life monitor enabled and the OCI is the same as the one in the US.

Personally I did my first oil change at 30% of oil life left on my Flexible oil life monitor, which is a little over 5,000 miles.

Is it time now?

Thx

I would change the oil and filter. This oil contains whatever contaminants were present from the engine "break-in". Judging from other's oil analyses in the Skyactiv Oil Analysis thread, these engines usually don't have many contaminants even from break-in, but I would play it safe. After the first oil change, follow the maintenance schedule and keep a log if you care about keeping your warranty intact. If not, you can go by the oil life monitor or switch to flexible OCI if you want, though I wouldn't recommend that here in Canada due to the temperature extremes we see.

@yrwei52 I appreciate you taking the time to express your thoughts. I have to agree that having a filter designed expressly for a specific engine is better than a one-size-fits-all generic solution. It is good to know that Mazda spent time engineering a filter only for the 2.5L T.

It's curious that they decided to lubricate the seal - thus requiring it to be shrink-wrapped. No, I don't recall ever seeing that in any of my 100's of oil changes. Nor have I thought it necessary - even with much more expensive cars. Whether that indicates quality (vs an added cost passed on the the consumer) isn't clear. I've always lubed my own filter ring w/engine oil. I doubt this "factory" lube is more effective.

I'll also note that in my 50 yrs of doing my own oil/filter changes I've never before had the thought that "boy...this filter is tiny! I hope they know what they're doing". In general I can't say that OEM parts are always better designed than after-market. If they were, that would destroy the whole after-market parts industry.

I still lube the pre-lubed ring with a little oil just for safe measure. That's not really where the "quality" is being called out.

It's the inside. :)

So it spun number 2 and ate number 3 rod bearing 1 and 4 was great but I have narrowed it down to the main bearing shell oil holes, the hole through the crank is to small or the number 3 main bearing needs to be tighter than the rest.
Thought about drilling 6 more holes in the main bearing shell but I noticed king has elongated them in the new bearings if the picture is correct.
2 and 3 rod share the main crank hole but the main crank oil hole is the same size as the 1 and 4. I think Im going to bring a line off the oil filter to the other side of the case halve and feed oil to the other side.
The block also has an oil grove under the bearing shell that is the same size on 1, 3 and 5. It could also be enlarged on #3 since it has to feed two rods and has a larger feed hole from the main oil gallery.

I think the sausage was on the grill for too long and now it has exploded, bro

So it spun number 2 and ate number 3 rod bearing 1 and 4 was great but I have narrowed it down to the main bearing shell oil holes, the hole through the crank is to small or the number 3 main bearing needs to be tighter than the rest...
Wow... that sounds serious.

Glad I dont own a 2005 Dodge.

For 2019 CX-5, 2.5T has the same oil change interval as 2.5L. It uses Flexible OCI with oil life monitor, and it can be as long as 12 months or 7,500 miles whichever comes first, but most likely it'd be shorter depending on your driving situation. You change your oil when the "Oil change due" notification is displayed.

Oil filter is different between the two, and 2.5T uses 5W-30 full synthetic oil instead 0W-20 on 2.5L.

You change spark plugs at 40,000 miles on 2.5T but 75,000 miles on 2.5L. Of course the plugs are different too.
Hey there you seem knowledgeable and been on this forum a lot (with good info) but I have a question… I bought my 21 cx-5 but it was manufactured in Nov 2020 and bought it in June 2021 and I drive it about once a week so it might not reach 7,500 mi first before 12 months hit so should I still change the oil and the filter? I am thinking about doing it just in case because of moisture, I live in Cali SF with temp around 60 deg F and drive it in highway to Sacramento. What do you think?

Last edited:
Hey there you seem knowledgeable and been on this forum a lot (with good info) but I have a question… I bought my 21 cx-5 but it was manufactured in Nov 2020 and bought it in June 2021 and I drive it about once a week so it might not reach 7,500 mi first before 12 months hit so should I still change the oil and the filter? I am thinking about doing it just in case because of moisture, I live in Cali SF with temp around 60 deg F and drive it in highway to Sacramento. What do you think?
I highly recommend you change it after 12 months, regardless of the mileage.
I haven't checked my manual, but my dealer actually told me to change it every six months, regardless of mileage. That's a little extreme, but a yearly change would be a wise thing, and it keeps your warranty intact.

Like those suggested above, you should change the oil at 12-month period if you drive less than 7,500 miles. The best is to set your Maintenance Monitor on oil change through infotainment screen to Flexible, so that you can get proper oil change interval, time or miles, from wrench indicator and oil change due notification based on your driving conditions.

I highly recommend you change it after 12 months, regardless of the mileage.
I haven't checked my manual, but my dealer actually told me to change it every six months, regardless of mileage. That's a little extreme, but a yearly change would be a wise thing, and it keeps your warranty intact.
You're in Canada. You have to do 6 month oil changes there to keep the warranty happy

You are wondering : change it in Nov 2021, or June 2022?

Good question. The warranty probably requires June 2022.

You are wondering : change it in Nov 2021, or June 2022?

Good question. The warranty probably requires June 2022.
So should I change it from date of manufacture 11/2020 or from date of use 6/2021. So 1 yr later for both is 11/2021 or 6/2022 lol

I would think Mazda can only hold you to change it 12mo after purchase, unless they briefed you about the date of manufacture and warned you to observe that date for maintenance.

I would probably change it myself in the spring to dump the cold weather contamination and then take it to the dealer next June (or change it again myself, keeping careful records so as to maintain the warranty).

I would think Mazda can only hold you to change it 12mo after purchase, unless they briefed you about the date of manufacture and warned you to observe that date for maintenance.

I would probably change it myself in the spring to dump the cold weather contamination and then take it to the dealer next June (or change it again myself, keeping careful records so as to maintain the warranty).
Yeah I figured 6/2022 should be fine to change the first oil/filter. The time elapsed would only be 1 yr and 7 months and I am driving it about once a week round trip 190 miles so that will burn off any moisture for sure. Then after that every year assuming again 1 yr comes before 7,500 mi change it again. Thanks everyone!

Like those suggested above, you should change the oil at 12-month period if you drive less than 7,500 miles. The best is to set your Maintenance Monitor on oil change through infotainment screen to Flexible, so that you can get proper oil change interval, time or miles, from wrench indicator and oil change due notification based on your driving conditions.
Btw does the Maintenance Reminder also follow the maintenance schedules? If so then it automatically notifies you if its schedule 1 or schedule 2 (more severe)?

What if its only severe driving for a few months and the rest is non severe driving?

Back