Diesel Towing

bigtex

:
17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)
I noticed the new CX5 diesel is rated to tow 3500 LBS. I would be interested to know if the brakes are bigger, transmission is different or maybe a beefier trans cooler, or if this is just because of the diesel.
I'm sure it will tow better overall and not need to downshift as much pulling a load, get much better fuel economy pulling a load vs the gas engines, but if nothing has changed besides the engine, why can't the CX5T haul 3500 LBS with more horsepower and more torque than the diesel?

I noticed the new CX5 diesel is rated to tow 3500 LBS. I would be interested to know if the brakes are bigger, transmission is different or maybe a beefier trans cooler, or if this is just because of the diesel.
I'm sure it will tow better overall and not need to downshift as much pulling a load, get much better fuel economy pulling a load vs the gas engines, but if nothing has changed besides the engine, why can't the CX5T haul 3500 LBS with more horsepower and more torque than the diesel?

I share your question. Mazda isn't very generous with such information.

I forgot about the increased towing capacity of the diesel. That is a good rating considering the size of vehicle. I would imagine under a tow load a turbo diesel will also obtain higher MPG compared to petrol equivalents.

I share your question. Mazda isn't very generous with such information.

The statement quoted below is from the UK 2017 press pack pdf to save people from trawling through it. This is the only auto transmission difference I can find between the petrol and diesel versions. Of course there may have been further unannounced differences since then. The "wider lockup range" may be a factor.

"The SKYACTIV-DRIVE for the SKYACTIV-D 2.2 turbodiesel is the first to adopt a low-rigidity lockup damper, which is equipped with
damper springs that feature a larger stroke and wider torsion angle. While improving driveshaft rigidity to support the engine's
maximum torque of 420Nm, the new springs also optimise torsional rigidity by extending the stroke of the lockup damper. As a
result, the transmission delivers a quieter drive with a wider lockup range, and further increases fuel efficiency in the practical
operating range."

That is a very good question! I'm looking to buy in the fall and tow rating is high on my list. I can live with 3500 lbs. I'm shopping the 2020 2.5T, 2020 Outback turbo, Honda Ridgeline. A 3500lbs tow rating would likely keep me in a CX5. I do not want a diesel.

That is a very good question! I'm looking to buy in the fall and tow rating is high on my list. I can live with 3500 lbs. I'm shopping the 2020 2.5T, 2020 Outback turbo, Honda Ridgeline. A 3500lbs tow rating would likely keep me in a CX5. I do not want a diesel.

Ridgeline would probably be the most capable tow vehicle of that group but IIRC it still uses a timing belt.

I recently towed the tandem axle u-haul trailer (6 x 12) about 350 miles - general elevation increase the entire way. It has an empty weight of about 2000# and I had at least 1000# in it. My 2017 CX-5 did fine, but I wouldn't do it every day.

I overload my 14 CX-5 to about 2500lbs all the time, you're right it seems fine. Slower to be sure, mpg drops to about 24, but it gets the job done. I'm just looking for a little more capacity .

Back