Smooth Ride

:
2018 CX 5 TOURING
After almost a year with my '18 CX5 Touring, the thing I find best by far is the smooth ride and handling - a real pleasure to drive on both curvy roads and the hwy. I do wonder how much is due to the vehicle, and how much is due to the Michelin Premier LTX tires I put on when I first bought the car - like on day 1. Thoughts?

Im actually planning to get those when the Toyos are done which I imagine wont be too long here.

I'm getting the LTX as well in about 2 weeks. Can't wait because the Toyos with almost 50K on them are starting to get pretty noisy.

After almost a year with my '18 CX5 Touring, the thing I find best by far is the smooth ride and handling - a real pleasure to drive on both curvy roads and the hwy. I do wonder how much is due to the vehicle, and how much is due to the Michelin Premier LTX tires I put on when I first bought the car - like on day 1. Thoughts?
Yeah I definitely believe your satisfactory drive feeling is about 25% coming from Michelin Premier LTX tires. LTX is a much better tire than OE Yokohama Geolandar G91A in every category. Use it if you don't mind to pay more and to its shorter tread life.

I just last week replaced the Toyos on my 2014 w/the LTX, at 41,000 miles. To be honest, neither my wife nor I can say that we can tell any difference, in ride or tire noise. YMMV.

I just last week replaced the Toyos on my 2014 w/the LTX, at 41,000 miles. To be honest, neither my wife nor I can say that we can tell any difference, in ride or tire noise. YMMV.
Ops, you're right. 2018 CX-5 Touring came with 19" Toyo A36 tires. I have to downgrade my estimate from 25% to 12.5% contribution to smooth ride as Toyo A36 definitely a better tire than Yokohama Geolandar G91A!

Yea Im honestly pretty happy with the Toyo in terms of performance but treadwear is very low. While the LTX arent as good in the treadwear department as some of the other aftermarket options they should definitely be better than the OE Toyo.

To the OP post I do think its mostly that Mazda did a good job striking the balance between ride quality and handling.

Yea Im honestly pretty happy with the Toyo in terms of performance but treadwear is very low. While the LTX arent as good in the treadwear department as some of the other aftermarket options they should definitely be better than the OE Toyo.

To the OP post I do think its mostly that Mazda did a good job striking the balance between ride quality and handling.

The LTX have a 60K treadwear warranty.

In the V-rated 225/55R19 tires available, BFG has 65K, Yokahama has 65K, Bridgestone has 70K, Kumho has 65K, Goodyear has 85K, and Both Toyo A23 and A36 have none.

If you decided to go down to H-rated tires, you could get BFG which has 65K, Cooper has 70K, Kumho HP71 has 65K, Pirelli has 70K, General has 65K, Kumho KH16 has 60K, Hankook has 60K, Firestone has 60K, Continental has 80K.

So really, the treadwear warranty is pretty close except that the Goodyear has 85K which is crazy high but a B in temperature and the Continental has 80K but it is H-rated.

I think I would go with the Michelin Defender LTX (90,000 mile tread wear warranty), a true all weather tire and should be fine in the snow. We also had great experiences with all weather Nokian WRG3 (WRG4 now available) on my wife's SUV ( Nissan XTrail)

Last edited:
I think I would go with the Michelin Defender LTX (90,000 mile tread wear warranty), a true all weather tire and should be fine in the snow. We also had great experiences with all weather Nokian WRG3 (WRG4 now available) on my wife's SUV ( Nissan XTrail)

I like that one too, but it is only available for the 17" wheels. Also, on TireRack it shows that it has a 70K warranty. It looks like that changed 6-1-19.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...r=2017&autoModel=CX-5 AWD&autoModClar=Touring

The LTX have a 60K treadwear warranty.

In the V-rated 225/55R19 tires available, BFG has 65K, Yokahama has 65K, Bridgestone has 70K, Kumho has 65K, Goodyear has 85K, and Both Toyo A23 and A36 have none.

If you decided to go down to H-rated tires, you could get BFG which has 65K, Cooper has 70K, Kumho HP71 has 65K, Pirelli has 70K, General has 65K, Kumho KH16 has 60K, Hankook has 60K, Firestone has 60K, Continental has 80K.

So really, the treadwear warranty is pretty close except that the Goodyear has 85K which is crazy high but a B in temperature and the Continental has 80K but it is H-rated.
The reason why I said Michelin Premier LTX has shorter tread life is based on specs and real-world experience. The specs say LTX has only 8.5/32" tread depth where others have at least 10/32". If you read the comments from LTX customers at TireRack there're too many complaints about short tread life such as "got 30,000 from these 60,000 rated tires very disappointed!" The survey stats show only "Fair" rating at 5.1 on Treadwear Performance which is one of the worst in the same category. 60,000-mile warranty or not, it can't stand up in the real world experience.

The reason why I said Michelin Premier LTX has shorter tread life is based on specs and real-world experience. The specs say LTX has only 8.5/32" tread depth where others have at least 10/32". If you read the comments from LTX customers at TireRack there're too many complaints about short tread life such as "got 30,000 from these 60,000 rated tires very disappointed!" The survey stats show only "Fair" rating at 5.1 on Treadwear Performance which is one of the worst in the same category. 60,000-mile warranty or not, it can't stand up in the real world experience.

True, but if you have a good tire shop, and rotate your tires properly and keep your alignment in check, and only get 30,000 miles out of the LTX, then you will get a 50% credit toward your next set.
And really, everyone is going to get a different experience from each tire depending on the routes they drive. I will get 50,000 of original Toyos, while someone who drives less per year and in the city might get 25,000.
I would rather have the best possible wet weather traction and if they don't last as long as they should, I will get credit toward a new set at 2/32.

In Colorado, 4/32 is the legal minimum for snow driving in the mountains, leaving you in limbo unless you run winter snows.

Yea I think Im ok with the trade off in wear and since I also run winters they will still last me a while. I just checked and at 18K it the Toyo are actually at 8/32 still.

And unless you live where it*s always clear weather 2/32* isn*t realistic.

A good tire dealer should be willing to "work" with you. They rarely have to send tires back to the manufacturer for mileage warranties and the prorated mileage adjustment doesn't cost them anything.

In Colorado, 4/32 is the legal minimum for snow driving in the mountains, leaving you in limbo unless you run winter snows.

I'm totally converted to wearing winter tires on my CX-5 in the winter, yes for the mountains, but also for the city. I used to think I was fine on quality all-seasons, but once I tried some snow tires, it was a night and day difference in the confidence on the road.

Problem with Colorado is that the number of cars I see on the road with bald tires is too damned high and if nothing else the snow tires at least a few times helped me outmaneuver some idiots with s*** tires sliding all over. Problem with the all-seasons was that by the 2nd or 3rd winter they didn't work all that great in the snow.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting winter tires for next season to, among other reasons, add more life to the Michelin Premier's.
Honestly, I've never gone more than 40000 miles on a set of tires, regardless of mileage rating; tires are just too damn important.

Yeah, I'm planning on getting winter tires for next season to, among other reasons, add more life to the Michelin Premier's.
Honestly, I've never gone more than 40000 miles on a set of tires, regardless of mileage rating; tires are just too damn important.

I know right. I take those mileage warranties with a grain of salt!

Back