Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Smooth Ride

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by jthj View Post
    I went with Xice specifically due to better wear performance.
    That's high up on my list for my next set.
    2014 CX-5 Touring AWD 2.5L | Jet Black Mica - 82k miles
    01/2013 build | 4/20/2013 delivery

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

I replaced my worn out Toyo's on my last CX-5 with Premier LTX's and loved how they performed. Now I'm on to a newer CX-5 and back to those quick wearing Toyo's but will definitely move on to the Premier LTX's again in a few years. I run Blizzak WS80 winters and really like how they perform, but they will need replacing next winter after 4 1/2 winters of use. My COSTCO tire guy has suggested the Blizzak DMV2 as a really good winter alternative, but, as an earlier poster has suggested, if Bridgestone comes out with a WS90 this fall I'd definitely consider them.

2017 CX-5 GT w/ Premium Pkg.

Quote Originally Posted by Unobtanium View Post
    What is current tread depth?
    Not really sure, but from looking at it I think I can get another 10-15k out of them. I do want to change them out for 255/45r20's tho so I might change them out sooner. We'll see how it goes.

2017 Mazda CX-5 GT + PREM Pkg 2019 CX5- GT Reserve

how do these premiere LTX compare to continental's True contact?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Grand+Touring

i might need to replace tires soon, i've had the truecontact's on my last CX5 and they were great, looks like they are reviewed better then the LTX as well.

Registered Member

TBD

Quote Originally Posted by Javila21 View Post
    how do these premiere LTX compare to continental's True contact?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tires...=Grand+Touring

i might need to replace tires soon, i've had the truecontact's on my last CX5 and they were great, looks like they are reviewed better then the LTX as well.
    With the reduced tread life and the higher price on the LTX, selecting the True Contacts was a no-brainer. The ratings are very close on Tire Rack.

My wife has had 17Ē True Contacts on her RAV4 for several years and loves them. Iíve had 19 inches on my CX-5 for 3 months and 5k miles and am very happy. Handle as well as the OEM tires, smoother and quieter.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

I think the conti is definitely a good choice. I feel the Michelin is probably more performance balanced but itís hard to judge without a direct comparison. Unfortunately Tire Rack used different vehicles in their test of each so those results comparatively arenít meaningful.

'17 CX-5 GT, '17 Fusion Platinum, '17 Pacifica Limited

I went with Xice specifically due to better wear performance.
    Ditto that. My wife and I are running X-Ice in the winter and we're getting very good mileage out of them for a winter tire. They could be quieter though.

Registered Member

2017 CX-5

Ikr. The Pilot Alpins Iím using on the GTI are even louder. At least the CX-5 has good sound insulation so itís not too loud in the cabin.

Resident barbarian ColoradoDriver's Avatar
    Donated: $5

2014 CX-5 Touring AWD

Quote Originally Posted by kdaug View Post
    I replaced my worn out Toyo's on my last CX-5 with Premier LTX's and loved how they performed.
    I was extremely happy with how my previous Michelins performed. But recent years Michelins have just risen to absurd pricing levels that I am not willing to pay. LTX was on my radar, but at a 8.5/32 tread starting and the high price, that was a double-whammy against it for me.
    Sigs are visible only in your first post on a page. To change your thread display preferences, click here and enable 'Always Show Signature'.

Registered Member

17 CX-5 GT 14 CX-5 GT (sold)

The 8.5/32 tread depth has been around for over 5 years on several Michelin tires. Here is a good discussion on Bobistheoilguy when people first started freaking out about the lower starting tread depth and some good posts from actual owners and their experience. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forum...pics/3423587/1

It also links a TireRack test in 2013 where the Michelins at 5/32 were outperforming the Continental True Contact when new.
    https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests...?ttid=182&cid=

2018 CX-5 GT

I, too, enjoy the smooth ride and handling on my GT - with factory Toyos.

Then again my other car rides on summer performance rubber bands.
    Magical Hot Wheels: http://www.htbomb.weebly.com

2018 Mazda CX-5 GT AWD non-Tech

I think the conti is definitely a good choice. I feel the Michelin is probably more performance balanced but it*s hard to judge without a direct comparison. Unfortunately Tire Rack used different vehicles in their test of each so those results comparatively aren*t meaningful.
    I agree!!! Going by Tire Rack's reviews, the True Contact's might seem to be the better choice, but as you say, using different vehicles to compare the True Contact's with the Premier LTX's hardly seems a fair comparison!! In addition, the True Contact's are H rated while the Premier LTX's are V rated, as recommended by Mazda for the Mazda CX-5(GS & GT). I'm sure I'll get some blowback about this comment!!

While the True Contact's appear to be less expensive, when I bought my last set of LTX's at COSTCO I waited for the $70 rebate, AND, I prefer the (warranty)service that COSTCO provides for their tires. In addition COSTCO provides their own in house warranty on their tires giving the LTX's a longer mileage warranty than Michelin does. To me that makes up for any minor discrepancies in pricing.

Registered Member

2014 Mazda CX-5

I bought a set of LTX's two years ago. Although the tires performed very well, after 30,000 miles I am down to 3/32, despite regular rotation, two alignments, and weekly pressure checks. The wear even across the tread, and is almost identical on all 4 tires.

The 60,000 mile 50% refund on a new set is a joke. Why would anyone by another set of these rubbish tires?

Registered Member

TBD

Quote Originally Posted by BrushyCanyon View Post
    I bought a set of LTX's two years ago. Although the tires performed very well, after 30,000 miles I am down to 3/32, despite regular rotation, two alignments, and weekly pressure checks. The wear even across the tread, and is almost identical on all 4 tires.

The 60,000 mile 50% refund on a new set is a joke. Why would anyone by another set of these rubbish tires?
    Comparable to the OEM tires wear-wise. (Damning with faint praise.)

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123