Smooth Ride

I'm getting the LTX as well in about 2 weeks. Can't wait because the Toyos with almost 50K on them are starting to get pretty noisy.
BTW you should get your Michelin Premier LTX before 6/16 from Costco as you will get $70 off for a set of Michelin's plus additional $60 off when you pay with Costco Anywhere Visa card.

I'm also on LTX tires, and they're super quiet. I had them on stock wheels and got them for the 20's as well. After getting 20" wheels the ride got stiffer but still very smooth at the same time with these tires. I'm ok with the extra stiffness but what I'm more impress is how quiet the ride is. I'm one year in with the 20's and I feel they're a tad quieter than when I first got them. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with these again when it's time to replace, unless there's a newer version of this.

I'm also on LTX tires, and they're super quiet. I had them on stock wheels and got them for the 20's as well. After getting 20" wheels the ride got stiffer but still very smooth at the same time with these tires. I'm ok with the extra stiffness but what I'm more impress is how quiet the ride is. I'm one year in with the 20's and I feel they're a tad quieter than when I first got them. I'm pretty sure I'm sticking with these again when it's time to replace, unless there's a newer version of this.

Miles on the LTXs?

I think the LTX probably wears closer to a performance tire than a high mileage tourer. I think its the expectation misalignment thats causing the negative reviews.

But hey treadwear is 620 IIRC. My Pilot AS3 I had on my last car were 500. I dont expect it to be worse and as long as it isnt Im good with it given all the other advantages to the LTX (handling ride ect). Always a trade off somewhere with tires.

CD
What snows did you get, and do you like them?

I had Blizzak WS80's. I loved them, but they only lasted 2 seasons. Since we have lots of sun and sometimes above 40 or 50 degree days in winter/spring here in Colorado between the snow storms, the soft compound does wear kinda fast.

If the WS90's show up, I may go for those as supposedly they will last longer, otherwise, I may consider a non-Blizzak tire next year as I probably won't be going up to the mountains nearly as much. We'll see.

For the mountains though, the Blizzaks were awesome and highly recommended!

I replaced my worn out Toyo's on my last CX-5 with Premier LTX's and loved how they performed. Now I'm on to a newer CX-5 and back to those quick wearing Toyo's but will definitely move on to the Premier LTX's again in a few years. I run Blizzak WS80 winters and really like how they perform, but they will need replacing next winter after 4 1/2 winters of use. My COSTCO tire guy has suggested the Blizzak DMV2 as a really good winter alternative, but, as an earlier poster has suggested, if Bridgestone comes out with a WS90 this fall I'd definitely consider them.

how do these premiere LTX compare to continental's True contact?

https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tire...&autoModel=CX-5+AWD&autoModClar=Grand+Touring

i might need to replace tires soon, i've had the truecontact's on my last CX5 and they were great, looks like they are reviewed better then the LTX as well.

With the reduced tread life and the higher price on the LTX, selecting the True Contacts was a no-brainer. The ratings are very close on Tire Rack.

My wife has had 17 True Contacts on her RAV4 for several years and loves them. Ive had 19 inches on my CX-5 for 3 months and 5k miles and am very happy. Handle as well as the OEM tires, smoother and quieter.

I think the conti is definitely a good choice. I feel the Michelin is probably more performance balanced but its hard to judge without a direct comparison. Unfortunately Tire Rack used different vehicles in their test of each so those results comparatively arent meaningful.

I went with Xice specifically due to better wear performance.

Ditto that. My wife and I are running X-Ice in the winter and we're getting very good mileage out of them for a winter tire. They could be quieter though.

Ikr. The Pilot Alpins Im using on the GTI are even louder. At least the CX-5 has good sound insulation so its not too loud in the cabin.

I replaced my worn out Toyo's on my last CX-5 with Premier LTX's and loved how they performed.

I was extremely happy with how my previous Michelins performed. But recent years Michelins have just risen to absurd pricing levels that I am not willing to pay. LTX was on my radar, but at a 8.5/32 tread starting and the high price, that was a double-whammy against it for me.

The 8.5/32 tread depth has been around for over 5 years on several Michelin tires. Here is a good discussion on Bobistheoilguy when people first started freaking out about the lower starting tread depth and some good posts from actual owners and their experience. https://www.bobistheoilguy.com/forums/ubbthreads.php/topics/3423587/1

It also links a TireRack test in 2013 where the Michelins at 5/32 were outperforming the Continental True Contact when new.
https://www.tirerack.com/tires/tests/testDisplay.jsp?ttid=182&cid=

2d2mip.jpg

Back